× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters

More
2 years 7 months ago #32978 by mhalpern
mhalpern replied the topic: Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters
Yeah as much as I like non specific hints as to what is in the works, it kind of kills the fun and point with people discussing titles of stories where the title isn't specifically published, for the foodie bookies thread, knowing what authors have something in the works is one thing but for instance some people were guessing "The Final Trump" before part 1 was published and that's a whole new character, that hasn't been in any fanfiction so we at least need a way to hide the titles from the non-authors, say a word scrambler and with what ifs have it so only the Canon authors and the ones that the what if author permits can see the real title. Or maybe just temp titles until ready for publication for everything, that way you could mislead us if we put stock in that title list with the broken links

Any Bad Ideas I have and microscene OC character stories are freely adoptable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #32979 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters

mhalpern wrote: Yeah as much as I like non specific hints as to what is in the works, it kind of kills the fun and point with people discussing titles of stories where the title isn't specifically published, for the foodie bookies thread, knowing what authors have something in the works is one thing but for instance some people were guessing "The Final Trump" before part 1 was published and that's a whole new character, that hasn't been in any fanfiction so we at least need a way to hide the titles from the non-authors, say a word scrambler and with what ifs have it so only the Canon authors and the ones that the what if author permits can see the real title. Or maybe just temp titles until ready for publication for everything, that way you could mislead us if we put stock in that title list with the broken links

There's a hiding feature, it just hasn't been used all the time, or something: whateleyacademy.net/index.php/forum/sugg...links?start=10#32710

Okay, unhidden things that should be secret are only discoverable by the Tag System, and just trying random numbers in the url like: 805 (Right... forgot that we shouldn't link to unaccessibibles. :wall:) ... doesn't reveal anything other than the presence of "something". It could be an announcement, it could be a story, it could even be a WhatIF.

It's actually really hard to find titles for unknown things except by accident, if you're not trying.

All you would be able to get is the number of articles that have been used, which isn't very useful, and it'd be a lot nicer to just ask (edit: about the size of the queue, that is... ... We know that there was enough to have 2 stories/week for 15 weeks, when the switch was made to 3 stories / week, IIRC.). We know, I think, that up to Kayda 11 is happening... And given Reinforce's url, we know that there are at least 813 articles... So that means... something...

Rambling about that possible something [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Malady.

More
2 years 7 months ago #33006 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters
But Malady, all my Front Page News bits count as articles. So do the various working documents that have tons of old notes, CH.org forums dumps of private forums sections, and so on. The fact that something is an articles does NOT mean that its a story meant for your eventual consumption.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #33008 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters

Kristin Darken wrote: But Malady, all my Front Page News bits count as articles. So do the various working documents that have tons of old notes, CH.org forums dumps of private forums sections, and so on. The fact that something is an articles does NOT mean that its a story meant for your eventual consumption.

Precisely why knowing how many articles there are, is interesting, but basically useless, if we readers want to make more accurate guesses about the queue. ... I think. ... I could have been clearer. I ramble lots.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Malady.

More
2 years 7 months ago #33012 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters
But even that 813 isn't accurate, because several stories were entered more than once, and deleted. So there are likely orphaned numbers.

Don't Drick and Drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #33034 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: Guidelines for "Discovering" unlinked story titles and/or characters
All of these things are all well and good, when it comes to discussions about the website, and the limitations of the system that is being used to host the WU stories, BUT,

Finding the loopholes and pointing them out to the site Admin = Good.
Using the loopholes to access the stories before they are officially released = Bad Person! No Cookie!

Please remember that the people who are letting us read these stories are doing so voluntarily, and that we are guests in the space where they play.

Like all good jam sessions, there is space for other people to take part and play as well, but it all depends upon us being excellent to each other.

For example, JG's: "Ashes and Steel" took years to arrive, but the final result was worth the wait.

Please be patient.

Measure Twice
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Mister D. Reason: Crsp Typong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds