Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

More
1 year 5 months ago #62072 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found
A white cotton t-shirt in Nikki's size, with SILF across the chest.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #62077 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Cryptic wrote: A white cotton t-shirt in Nikki's size, with SILF across the chest.

Something from one of the 'American Pie' Films?

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by CrazyMinh.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 year 5 months ago #62108 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found
Welcome back to "What is Schol-R watching right now?"

A disassembled action figure, with each component in a separate packaging priced at $10 per piece. The total for all the pieces comes to $300.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!

More
1 year 5 months ago #62109 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Schol-R-LEA wrote: An old-vashinnt beer barrel marked vit' biohazardy labelinks, and several crockery steins, ja? Lyink on de barrel is zome papers by zome smot guy on the how gut this stoff ist for you, and what does happen if you haff too much, as well as map to de plaze in Europa where it was discovert. There's a really amazink hat nearby, too.

Apparently the preferred name is Jägerbräu vs. Jaegerdraught. Either one is somewhat safer than water from the River Dyne, and is transported in less delicate containers than Battle-Draught.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 year 5 months ago #62110 by Schol-R-LEA
Just so.

More
1 year 5 months ago #62146 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Schol-R-LEA wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: A set of cryogenically-preserved body parts. Not all of them are human, and the biology staff is having a hard time identifying the species (more than one, likely). It was found together with a bunch of hi-tech, experimental prostheses and weaponry.

Would they be the crew and passengers of the heliobathysphere Sundiver?

(Probably not; most of them were later revived, after all.)

No. Wrong fictional universe, by an Astronomical Unit.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #62148 by Schol-R-LEA
I think this one was a bit too geeky a joke for most people here, but a few are going to kick themselves for not getting it:
A round dinner table, set with five chopsticks and five plates. The chopsticks are evenly placed between the plates (eew, sharing utensils like that... for a bunch of heavy thinkers, they have terrible hygiene). Some of the members (specifically Angeldude and Kettlekorn, but probably a number of others, too) should be familiar with this problem...

This is the Dining Philosopher's Problem , a classic thought experiment and staple programming project for classes on concurrent programming and operating systems design.

The description given here will do for the setup:

There are 5 philosophers sharing a circular table and they eat and think alternatively. There is a bowl of rice for each of the philosophers and 5 chopsticks. A philosopher needs both their right and left chopstick to eat. A hungry philosopher may only eat if there are both chopsticks available.Otherwise a philosopher puts down their chopstick and begin thinking again.

The dining philosopher is a classic synchronization problem as it demonstrates a large class of concurrency control problems.

It is meant to demonstrate problems involving resource sharing: the chopsticks represent a pair of shared resources (for example, a disk file and block of shared memory) which a process (one of the philosophers) needs access to, while sharing them with two other processes (the philosophers to either side of him/her). The ring arrangement of the resources (the placement around the table) is meant to demonstrate how processes which do not share resources with each other can still get deadlocked if they do share resources with other processes who in turn share resources in a chain of sharing. It is also used to demonstrate various solutions/workarounds to the problem of deadlock, as well as to show that no fully general solution (one which always avoids both deadlock and livelock without imposing other restrictions) is possible.

Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 year 5 months ago #62364 by Schol-R-LEA
I think this is the last one I had outstanding, and the one people were least likely to get given the age and obscurity of the subject.

Schol-R-LEA wrote: A disassembled action figure, with each component in a separate packaging priced at $10 per piece. The total for all the pieces comes to $300.

The Johnny Longtorso Modular Action Figure (everything sold separately), from the invention exchange in an early episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

More
1 year 5 months ago #62383 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Sir Lee wrote: A set of cryogenically-preserved body parts. Not all of them are human, and the biology staff is having a hard time identifying the species (more than one, likely). It was found together with a bunch of hi-tech, experimental protheses and weaponry.

Still no takers? OK, extra clue: all the containers are stamped with "314".

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
1 year 5 months ago #62386 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Sir Lee wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: A set of cryogenically-preserved body parts. Not all of them are human, and the biology staff is having a hard time identifying the species (more than one, likely). It was found together with a bunch of hi-tech, experimental protheses and weaponry.

Still no takers? OK, extra clue: all the containers are stamped with "314".

Were they shipped from Colorado?

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds