Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
2 months 1 week ago #66468 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Schol-R-LEA wrote: And because I've inexplicably been watching a lot of a certain dryly sarcastic YouTube channel lately: A large-ish and singularly armored submarine with a pair of 203mm/50 naval cannons (Modele 1924) mounted in a turret in front of the conning tower. Behind the tower is a seaplane hangar. Where it has been all these years remains a mystery which at least two different navies would like answered, as is how it got to Whateley.

It would seem the French and the Americans would be most interested in the Surcouf.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #66470 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found
Well, yes. The British, too, since several Royal Navy officers were aboard when it vanished.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
2 months 1 week ago #66473 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Schol-R-LEA wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: A set of what appears to be zero-prescription spectacles, a pair of old-style hard contact lenses, and a magnifying glass that also does not seem to do much magnifying. If you concentrate when using any of them, you might visualize images of other places.

For some reason, the 'magnifying glass' makes me think of the Magic Mirror from Romper Room... but the glasses and the contacts, not so much. :-p

No, this is a rather obscure one... hints:
1. YA. (I rather enjoyed it back in my early teens)
2. Not Brazilian or originally Portuguese-language.
3. Not originally English-language either. Actually, I Googled it this afternoon but couldn't find a mention in English.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #66480 by Schol-R-LEA
OK, so once again, my outstanding items are:
  • A battered tin can labeled as Sakuma Fruit Drops.
  • A pair of binoculars, enchanted to circumvent magical privacy protections.
  • A bag made from fowl leather, containing a small arsenal of ancient weapons.
  • Three loop-handled vases - one blue, one red, and one golden - with odd inscriptions on them. Tied to one of them is a note written in somewhat archaic Japanese.
  • A pendant made of an unusual egg-shaped red crystal, with sections of a stylized face on it but not arranged in the usual fashion (e.g., the nose is off to one side, the eyes are in different places, the mouth is tilted and off to one side, etc.). It has a detectable magical radiation with an Infernal taint (not that anyone from where it is from would be able to tell).
  • A bowl of natto with a pestle, and a pair of red-rimmed glasses (in an unfashionable women's design) half sticking out of it. The smell of masochism accompanies that of the fermented beans. The owner rather needs those spectacles back, but the wavy-haired guy whom she wants to find would pay more to make sure they stay lost (well, he would, if either of them had any money in the first place).
  • A translucent pink scarf which renders the wearer resistant to many forms of injury. Tied to one end of it is something invisible which feels like it is made of silk. Those who figure out what it is by touch are likely to be mildly embarrassed when they do.

Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
2 months 4 days ago #66542 by Schol-R-LEA
OK, this one should be relatively easy, for some of you anyway: a large wooden tooth the size of a man's palm. It appears to have grown into the shape rather than being carved. Seeing it gives you a sense of dread, and you can swear you hear banjo music in the distance.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #66642 by Schol-R-LEA
OK, so, time to answer some of my outstanding ones:
A bag made from fowl leather, containing a small arsenal of ancient weapons.
Cumhall's crane-skin bag, which allowed his son Fionn mac Cumhaill to defeat the Fae prince Áillen when he attacked the palace of Tara.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #66690 by Schol-R-LEA
Another of my answers, one which I really had expected at least someone to recognize. Perhaps it's just such a sad film that people chose to forget...

A battered tin can labeled as Sakuma Fruit Drops.

It was the candy tin which Setsuko had held on to in Grave of the Fireflies, and
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

As tragic as it is, it is one of my favorite films of all time.

Note that Sakuma Fruit Drops are still made, and has even been sold with a commemorative tin design with Setsuko on it - which is touching, but a bit odd.

Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #66809 by Schol-R-LEA
Another week, another answer for one of my outstanding items.

A pair of binoculars, enchanted to circumvent magical privacy protections.

Ginny Weasley's privacy-charm-breaking omnioculars from the once-notorious fanfic, "Harry Potter and the Naked Quidditch Match" .

Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
1 month 1 week ago #66810 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Schol-R-LEA wrote: Ginny Weasley's privacy-charm-breaking omnioculars from the once-notorious fanfic, "Harry Potter and the Naked Quidditch Match" .

It may not be as notorious as it once was, but it is still hilarious.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
1 month 1 week ago #66811 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Schol-R-LEA wrote: Ginny Weasley's privacy-charm-breaking omnioculars from the once-notorious fanfic, "Harry Potter and the Naked Quidditch Match" .

I haven't read much Harry Potter fanfic except for some Supernatural crossovers.

Pet theory: the fanfic writers may have recognized Meg Master's potential (esp. as portrayed by Rachel Miner) before the show's writers did.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds