Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
6 months 1 week ago #67565 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found
No, nothing so well-known, really. Also, Bek's point stands.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #67566 by Schol-R-LEA
I did say I'd explain one of my remaining previous ones, so:
Three loop-handled vases - one blue, one red, and one golden - with odd inscriptions on them. Tied to one of them is a note written in somewhat archaic Japanese.

The Fox Urns which held the directions to the Japanese Nannichuan in the Ranma 1/2 broadcast anime series (they weren't part of the story arc in either the manga or the live action television special). The note reads something like, "To our customers: We are sorry, this magical spring is no longer in service. If you need further support, please visit the original Spring of the Drowned Man at our main location at Jusenkyo, China."

Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #67899 by Schol-R-LEA
To recap again, my outstanding items are:
  • A pendant made of an unusual egg-shaped red crystal, with sections of a stylized face on it but not arranged in the usual fashion (e.g., the nose is off to one side, the eyes are in different places, the mouth is tilted and off to one side, etc.). It has a detectable magical radiation with an Infernal taint (not that anyone from where it is from would be able to tell).
  • A bowl of natto with a pestle, and a pair of red-rimmed glasses (in an unfashionable women's design) half sticking out of it. The smell of masochism accompanies that of the fermented beans. The owner rather needs those spectacles back, but the wavy-haired guy whom she wants to find would pay more to make sure they stay lost (well, he would, if either of them had any money in the first place).
  • A large wooden tooth the size of a man's palm. It appears to have grown into the shape rather than being carved. Seeing it gives you a sense of dread, and you can swear you hear banjo music in the distance.
  • A bullet-shaped metal robot, perhaps 7" (18cm) tall, with an antenna ending in a glowing knob on the top of its head and a trough or tube protruding from its groin. It likes to talk dirty. Surrounding it are desiccated orange rinds and cigarette butts. If I were Annarchy, I would be afraid around this thing (though I am not sure if 'fear' is a concept she understands).
  • A teenaged girl, possibly of Polynesian, Latin American, or mixed African and Asian descent, wearing a scarf, and a pair of goggles which are perched on her head. Over her shoulder is a carryall covered in travel stickers reading things such as 'Hogwarts', 'Cynosure', and 'Tannhauser Gate'. She insists that she isn't lost, however, because she's always right where she needs to be.
  • A large suit of full-plate armor which appears to be enameled in black, with yellow highlights. Attached to the back is a pole carrying a white flag. The owner will want this back eventually, but for now he's earned that respite he said he'd never had before.

Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
5 months 1 week ago #67913 by Schol-R-LEA
A backpack consisting of two liquid tanks - one marked 'H2O', the other, 'PCox' - under which is boiler and a high-pressure condenser. It has a tube leading to a spray nozzle. In the box with it are what appear to be muskets, cavalry sabers, and shako hats made for toy soldiers, and part of a torn military sash.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #68034 by Schol-R-LEA
OK, another explanation from my outstanding items:
A pendant made of an unusual egg-shaped red crystal, with sections of a stylized face on it but not arranged in the usual fashion (e.g., the nose is off to one side, the eyes are in different places, the mouth is tilted and off to one side, etc.). It has a detectable magical radiation with an Infernal taint (not that anyone from where it is from would be able to tell).

The Crimson Beherit, carried by Griffith in Berserk, which
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Note that I don't really know the series, so I may have misunderstood some aspects of it.

Last Edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #68036 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found

Sir Lee wrote: A set of what appears to be zero-prescription spectacles, a pair of old-style hard contact lenses, and a magnifying glass that also does not seem to do much magnifying. If you concentrate when using any of them, you might visualize images of other places.

This is a rather obscure one... extra hints:
1. YA. (I rather enjoyed it back in my early teens)
2. Not Brazilian or originally Portuguese-language.
3. Not originally English-language either. Actually, I Googled it this afternoon but couldn't find a mention in English.

OK, it has been a few months and I actually had forgotten I left this one sitting...

These come from a Seventies young-adult German sci-fi book series by Rolf Ulrici named Raumschiff Monitor, literally Spaceship Monitor. They were translated to Portuguese back when I was a kid -- but apparently not to any other language, from what I could Google. The magnifying glass, spectacles and contact lenses were different versions of a secret telepathic communications device which the Elderly Wise Scientist(tm) who created all the super-advanced tech in the series entrusted only to his own brothers and the Bunch of Plucky Kids(tm) who he lends the aforementioned spaceship to so they can go after the villains. OK, quite cheesy in retrospect, but hey, I was ten.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #68175 by Schol-R-LEA
New one, as I revisit a series I'd stopped following some years back: A white stone brooch in the form of a stylized horse skull. When held or worn, transforms the wearer as an anthropomorphic animal version of themselves. Oddly, if the wearer has any extra appendages or unusual features (such as horns or wings for an animal type which doesn't usually have those), those will be hidden. Quadrupedal or multipedal individuals will become bipeds. The back is inscribed with the words, "I will never understand why you wanted this, but it was your birthday request so here you are. Fortunately, it was easy enough to craft. Your loving brother, Aliph."

EDIT: Oops, it is an actual transformation, not an illusion. There are a few instances where removing it has had physical effects on clothing, and one quadruped whom it changed had problems with balance.

Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #68176 by Schol-R-LEA
A collection of snowglobes for locations in Nevada and southeastern California.

A broken perfume bottle, mixed in with shards of pink quartz glass from a much larger object.

A metal rod shaped like a handle grip, with a button on one side and a bright safety-orange ball on the end. When the button is pressed, the ball seems to float away from the handle, up to a distance of two meters depending on how long you hold the button. You really, really don't want to get between the handle and the ball.

Oh, and I owe all of you a solution to an outstanding one:

A bullet-shaped metal robot, perhaps 7" (18cm) tall, with an antenna ending in a glowing knob on the top of its head and a trough or tube protruding from its groin. It likes to talk dirty. Surrounding it are desiccated orange rinds and cigarette butts. If I were Annarchy, I would be afraid around this thing (though I am not sure if 'fear' is a concept she understands).

The Fruit Fucker 2000 from Penny Arcade, a model of orange juicer with a very... direct approach to preparing drinks.

Annarchy is the online handle for Tycho's niece, who was way more hardcore than her uncle even when she was 11.

Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Astrodragon
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
4 months 1 week ago #68177 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: Things Found in the Whateley Lost and Found
The rod with the orange ball - a variable sword from Larry Niven's Known Space, you don't want to get in the way of an extremely fine wire covered in a statis field

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
4 months 1 week ago #68181 by Schol-R-LEA
Correct, Astro.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds