You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

More
2 years 9 months ago #47238 by NJM1564
NJM1564 replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
Just dump the ideas to the bad idea thread. That's what I do. :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #47255 by Angeldude
Angeldude replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

Valentine wrote: When you wake up every morning and silently ask if anyone is there your head with you.

I don't ask, because there already is.

Insanity: for when normal just isn't interesting enough.
All ideas free to use. You can probably make better use of them than me.

More
2 years 9 months ago #47256 by Angeldude
Angeldude replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
When you're convinced you have your own BIT and it just happens to be opposite your assigned gender.

When you start instinctively classifying supers from other universes with the Whateley system.

Insanity: for when normal just isn't interesting enough.
All ideas free to use. You can probably make better use of them than me.

More
2 years 9 months ago #47257 by Jarjaross
Jarjaross replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

Angeldude wrote: When you start instinctively classifying supers from other universes with the Whateley system.

Oh god I do this all the time. Which is especially problematic when I developed my own ranking system that I use in most of my notes on things like superheroes for campaigns I run. Especially since the two systems don't translate well.

My dreams take me to far off lands and times of distant past and future. They tell what has been done, what will happen and who I am. They show me things beyond the machinations of any man. Tell me, what are dreams to you?

More
2 years 9 months ago #47277 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
When you go to submit a Bad Idea, and realize that you already submitted that idea - 2 years ago.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, Anne

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
2 years 3 months ago #53293 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
You know you've read too much whateley when you build a 1:120 scale model of tiny tim with motors, sensors and a tiny pneumatic air gun. No seriously, I did it for the shits at giggles. I assume it's four legged with a BFG on top??? Mine's about the size of a manhole cover. Guess I'm putting my mechatronics degree to good use!!!

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

More
2 years 3 months ago #53295 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

CrazyMinh wrote: You know you've read too much whateley when you build a 1:120 scale model of tiny tim with motors, sensors and a tiny pneumatic air gun. No seriously, I did it for the shits at giggles. I assume it's four legged with a BFG on top??? Mine's about the size of a manhole cover. Guess I'm putting my mechatronics degree to good use!!!

I think it's described as bipedal in "May Your Death Be Sweet":

Bardue watched. It was impossible. It was a fucking miracle, is what it was. But Tiny Tim lifted its foot.

And it fell over.

The goddamn giant robot couldn’t walk. Everyone on campus knew that. It had armaments in its arms and head, but they wouldn’t engage until you opened the roof and operated the lift platform. As those Syndicate bastards found out at Halloween.

But it could fall over. And whoever was helping him out knew that too. It lifted its right foot just the correct way so it would fall forward and to the right.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
2 years 3 months ago #53339 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
*nod* its bipedal specifically because that's what makes it 'impossible'.... the engineering challenge of overcoming the height -> volume structural and coordination problems. :)

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
More
2 years 3 months ago #53342 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
Actually...in engineering terms that isn't really a problem. Sure, we haven't done it. But it is possible to build giant robots. It's just that the cost of doing so would be astronomical, and the onlyreal use is military. Pacific Rim-style Jaegers are not really a practical method of waging war, unless you want to fight monsters with monsters of your own.

If you liked Pacific Rim, listed to Miracle of Sound's song 'The Crush' on YouTube. It's F**king Awsome

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
More
2 years 3 months ago #53343 by CrazyMinh
Plus coordination is pretty simple. Structrual??? Hard, but not entirely impossible. A team of adult engineers could do it in a couple of years on paper. Maybe four to built, and billions of dollars to buy parts for. As for the Height to volume...seriously??? Engineers SOLVE problems, not CREATE them. That was one of the first things I heard in a lecture. Sure, you can set yourself a challenge. But the objective is to solve it in a cost-effective, logical and efficient manner, not to overly complicate a already difficult task. Tiny TIm's concept is pretty stupid, as even if it was impossible in real life, it wouldn't be. Really, it wouldn't. Humans build skyscrapers with little issue, so why should a massive walking robot be any different??? I bet you cavemen wouldn't recognise even a utility hut, so why would a problem difficult for us in 2018 be difficult to a 2006 with holograms, advanced robots, AI's, energy weapons, smartphones (before the iPhone), advanced genetech, cybernetics, psi grenades...

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds