You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

• Astrodragon
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #53363 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
The big problem with a giant robot isnt building it - you'll need exotic materials for the structure, but nothing impossible.
The problem is the energy requirement for it to move. Its horrendous (a n uclear reactor wont cut it).

Some numbers.
Lets take a 2m tall human, weihing 100kg (rough numbers)
A robot equivalent would probably weight more, but at least in theory could be similar

Now lets scale our robot up to 40m
It now weighs 800 tons. Thats a lot of metal to move around.
Nuclear reactors are heavy beasts, we really want something lightweight and exotic, or the increasing weight of the power supply will outweigh (sic) the mass to be moved.
And preferably we dont want our robot to irradiate the countryside.

Also we need to make the feet BIG. Or the ground pressure will sink it knee deep.

Its not impossible, just really really difficult, which is why Tim would make a good student project.

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #53364 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
Another factor is that while potentially doable, it would take a dedicated, focused team. Tiny Tim does not have a dedicated or focused team. He has a kitchen full of teenage chefs experiencing constant churn as the experienced ones graduate and get replaced by newbies, and some of their ingredients and methodologies are fundamentally incompatible or stop working after they're gone.

This is because Whateley Academy is not in the business of building giant robots. Tiny Tim is not a serious attempt at making something useful. He is instead a playground upon which the students can flex their creative muscles in a way that doesn't involve making excessive numbers of death rays or other fun and disruptive things. His constant flux and perpetual incompletion are features, not flaws.

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Kettlekorn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady, Anne

More
2 years 3 months ago #53370 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
Sometimes, a group of students can learn more from working on a project like Tiny Tim - even though it's theoretically impossible without devises - because they have to push themselves to learn more about the subject. So I see it as a good 'challenge' project. Kind of like the biodevisors working on a Frankenstein's monster :twisted:

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert
The following user(s) said Thank You: E. E. Nalley, Dreamer, Mister D, Malady, Anne

More
2 years 3 months ago #53385 by Ametros
Ametros replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
Even if Tiny Tim were viable as a concept, there are more things to consider. You don't just want a robot to be able to walk, but to be able to traverse uneven terrain without falling over. And you don't want it to ever fall over unless you've put in additional work to make it able to right itself and stand up again.

Seriously, thank you for your time and effort. It is appreciated.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53393 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
Well, there are a bunch of smart people working on the software and feedback systems for the "walking upright on uneven terrain" and "get up by itself" parts. Just have a look at the Boston Dynamics Youtube channel. But square-cube law is not your friend -- the larger the 'bot, the harder the problem becomes.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
2 years 2 months ago #54307 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
YKWYBRTMW when you start playing Fallout 4, go to the nearest settlement to the approximate location of whateley and build a settlement based on the school, with a cubic crystal hall, a basketball court for the quad and a cottage called Poe

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

More
2 years 2 months ago #54365 by Angeldude
Angeldude replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...
When, in a dream, some guy sneaks up behind you and grabs your chest and your first thought is "Do I even have a chest for him to grab?"

Second guessing my sex while being sexually assaulted is not a dream I'm going to forget for a while. :S

Insanity: for when normal just isn't interesting enough.
All ideas free to use. You can probably make better use of them than me.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54372 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

Angeldude wrote: When, in a dream, some guy sneaks up behind you and grabs your chest and your first thought is "Do I even have a chest for him to grab?"

Second guessing my sex while being sexually assaulted is not a dream I'm going to forget for a while. :S

When you said that, I thought it'd be more "Am I even human" or "Am I intangible?"

'Cause everyone has a chest... But dreams and inaccuracies of language... I got what you meant, and yeah, that would be memorable!

More
2 years 2 months ago #54392 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

Malady wrote:

Angeldude wrote: When, in a dream, some guy sneaks up behind you and grabs your chest and your first thought is "Do I even have a chest for him to grab?"

When you said that, I thought it'd be more "Am I even human" or "Am I intangible?"

"Should I tell him about the 'security features'?

Na. He'll find out soon enough."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54393 by Angeldude
Angeldude replied the topic: You know you've been reading too much Whateley, when...

Malady wrote: "Am I intangible?"

Sadly, I have not found a time when I have been, but it is one of the things I usually test for. On the other hand, 11 fingers on one hand is a pretty definitive result. Telekinesis and flight are about as cool as you'd imagine they'd be, but TK is much less cool if you drop something right after pulling it towards yourself. My dream self is about as clumsy as my real self.

Insanity: for when normal just isn't interesting enough.
All ideas free to use. You can probably make better use of them than me.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Angeldude.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds