Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

More
1 year 11 months ago #56444 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

mhalpern wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: Not that it makes a lot of difference, but: geographic or magnetic north?

Well if I wanted to have an actual mechanism for it, it would have to be magnetic north.

I was hoping for Galactic North.

Don't Drick and Drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, mhalpern

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #56445 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers
It wouldn't have to be magnetic north to have a mechanism. For example, rather than flying "north" they could actually be getting pulled to Polaris (due to alien ancestry, perhaps, or a mutant power that lets them pick up an interstellar homing beacon). At the equator their power would push them at true north, and the further north they get the more upward angle their lift would have (equal to their latitude, to be specific, +/- a degree or so since Earth and Polaris aren't perfectly aligned). Below the equator (negative latitudes) this would be a downward angle instead, which is rather less useful for flying, but perhaps more handy for general locomotion since they could get a bicycle or skates and treat the northward force like a sailor treats the wind.

Another approach would be an Avatar spirit that desperately wants its host to relocate to the exact north pole due to some sort of rotational alignment nonsense, and thus only shares its power with its host when the host is moving in that direction.

A third explanation is a sensitivity to a Great Evil that is buried at the south pole, resulting in a huge amount of powers-blocking anxiety any time they move any direction other than directly away from it.

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Kettlekorn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

• CrazyMinh
  • CrazyMinh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
1 year 11 months ago #56446 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers
A mutant who breaths fire. Sound normal??? Well, they breath fire...everytime they open their mouths. This means that they can't speak, all the food they eat is charbroiled (Ice cream melts, drinks evaporate, bread products catch on fire), oral sex is impossible for obvious reasons (what??? It's a natural thing...for some people, whose number does not include me. I'm one of those people who a) has trouble finding a date and b) never attempts things that are just plain gross. But, that's enough about my sex life, OR ANYONE ELSES!!!), they set their schoolwork on fire when they sneeze, and they have to drink through a drip. Awesome power, but the trigger is broken.

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

More
1 year 11 months ago #56449 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

CrazyMinh wrote: A mutant who breaths fire. Sound normal??? Well, they breath fire...everytime they open their mouths. This means that they can't speak, all the food they eat is charbroiled (Ice cream melts, drinks evaporate, bread products catch on fire), oral sex is impossible for obvious reasons (what??? It's a natural thing...for some people, whose number does not include me. I'm one of those people who a) has trouble finding a date and b) never attempts things that are just plain gross. But, that's enough about my sex life, OR ANYONE ELSES!!!), they set their schoolwork on fire when they sneeze, and they have to drink through a drip. Awesome power, but the trigger is broken.

This sounds like either a candidate for Hawthorn, or ARC.

Measure Twice

More
1 year 11 months ago #56450 by konzill
konzill replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

CrazyMinh wrote: A mutant who breaths fire. Sound normal??? Well, they breath fire...everytime they open their mouths. This means that they can't speak, all the food they eat is charbroiled (Ice cream melts, drinks evaporate, bread products catch on fire), oral sex is impossible for obvious reasons (what??? It's a natural thing...for some people, whose number does not include me. I'm one of those people who a) has trouble finding a date and b) never attempts things that are just plain gross. But, that's enough about my sex life, OR ANYONE ELSES!!!), they set their schoolwork on fire when they sneeze, and they have to drink through a drip. Awesome power, but the trigger is broken.

Don't we have an in canon siren who can't speak because every sound she makes is a sonic attack? IIRC she may be getting better.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56451 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

konzill wrote:

Don't we have an in canon siren who can't speak because every sound she makes is a sonic attack? IIRC she may be getting better.

Yes, her name (code) is Screech. I'm not sure if we ever know her real name. She is a member of the Goths. Her BF gets eaten when he tries to gain control of Sara Waite. I think she is in at least one class (for sirens) with Vox.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56452 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

CrazyMinh wrote: oral sex is impossible for obvious reasons

That's one of the things they can have. It's just a matter of having a fireproof partner, although you may also consider expanding your options by using one of the full body condoms on the market in the Whateley Universe.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #56453 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers

Mister D wrote:

This sounds like either a candidate for Hawthorn, or ARC.

ARC would be overkill, but Hawthorne would be sensible so that they could have a safe place to sleep comfortably. By day they could still join the student body by wearing either an enclosed helmet or a muzzle (which would offer lighter weight and better comfort for the rest of their head, at the cost of increased discomfort for their lower face). A sufficiently creative mask might even be able to contain the flames and relay their speech through a baffle or fireproof microphone/speaker combo; expect Bane jokes.

As for eating, it depends on what counts as opening their mouth and what's going on inside while it's closed. If they can hold their jaw closed and open their lips just enough to slide in a straw without spewing fire, they could just drink liquid food. Otherwise, they could route a feeding tube through their nose into their throat and take liquid food that way. That fails if the fire is always there, lurking in their throat and incinerating everything that passes through even when their mouth is closed. In that case, the preferred solution would probably be to install an alternate access to either their esophagus or stomach, bypassing the upper bit of their throat where the fire lives, or directly into the small intestine if the fire lives in the stomach itself. That way they could continue relying on their digestive system, meaning they could feed themselves in a pinch by running normal food and water through a blender and dumping it in.

They would only rely on an IV drip as a long-term solution if none of those options were viable (e.g. their entire digestive system is borked). Compared to a feeding tube, an IV drip would be much slower (10-16 hours per day, though backpack pumps are available to allow mobility during feeding), they'd be dependent on reliable access to TPN solution, and the consequences of mistakes would be more severe (the digestive tract has a lot more tolerance for error than the circulatory system). Plus, organs that don't get used have a tendency to atrophy and cause problems down the road, so the more of their digestive system they can keep engaged, the better.

Of course, those are all mundane baseline solutions. Mutants and mages mean there may be more appealing alternatives, though likely with far less testing and study to back them up, and the potential for interesting side effects. Just ask Alyss; I think she'll know.

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Kettlekorn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anne

More
1 year 11 months ago #56454 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers
Basically, this would be Jonothon Evan Starsmore (Chamber), without the psionics?

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 11 months ago #56458 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Silly Mutants: The Ones with Unlucky Powers
Calendar Boy. His only power is to let Kristin know when it's Monday! :silly:

Don't Drick and Drive.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds