A List of Things Whateley Students are No Longer allowed to do

• CrazyMinh
  • CrazyMinh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
6 days 19 hours ago #67197 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: A List of Things Whateley Students are No Longer allowed to do

Mister D wrote: As i said to one of my students, even a 1% improvement in engine efficiency, or a 1% improvement in hydro-dynamic flow, would save billions of gallons of fuel.

It would also help the climate, by reducing the amount of carbon byproducts being released.

On a extremely tangential note, I had a argument over Facebook PM the other day with a friend of mine from High School. He's obsessed that there's no such thing as toxic pollution from cars, and that it's all a lie made up by scientists to sabotage the economy. Last I heard, this guy was a practicing lawyer with a big firm in Melbourne, so he's not entirely stupid or a total conspiracy nut. I composed this reply, which I'm happy to share with you in case anyone needs a rebuttal:

OK "smartass". Let me throw you a series of hypotheticals. Say you throw a log on a fire. Now, as I'm sure you remember from our High School chemistry classes, combustion is what makes a fire work. If you've forgotten, fuel + oxygen -> Carbon Dioxide + water. This is a essential chemical reaction, just in case you forgot. Something you learn quite early on. Thus, the log burns, and forms carbon dioxide, water vapour, and plain carbon in the form of ash. We'll get back to these products later

Now, an internal combustion engine- otherwise known as "that thing that makes the car go vroom-vroom" to people like you- runs on exactly this principle. Fuel goes in, oxygen goes in, activation energy (in the form of either high pressure (diesel) or a electrical spark (in Petrol engines) starts the reaction, and the explosion forces the piston in the cylinder down. Thus, car go vroom-vroom, not stop-stop. However, car also go poof-poof out of tailpipe. You know, that little tube that sticks out the rear? I know you drive a car, so don't pretend you've never heard of one.

This tailpipe isn't just there to look pretty and puff some magic smoke occasionally. It's there to vent the by-products of the combustion reaction. Remember that burning log I started this conversation with? It was a log, and now the stuff you can see with your eyes- the things in the front of your face that are probably widening with recognition right now- is a pile of black crumbly stuff called "ash". Say it with me: "aaaassshhh".

That stuff is leftover carbon from the wood. It's also some other stuff, but for the most part, it's carbon. Anyway, there's also the water vapour produced. Forget about the water vapour, it isn't relevant. The big part- the part we care about here- is the Carbon Dioxide, or CO2. It consists of a single carbon atom double bonded to a pair of oxygen atoms. Now, CO2 is toxic to humans. CO2 bad!!! CO2 is processed by plants into oxygen and glucose. You breath oxygen. Oxygen keeps you alive. Remember how breathing works? That's very good!!!

Anyway, that carbon dioxide doesn't just magically disappear into thin air. It has to go somewhere. It's not going into space. Then what would you be breathing? There'd be no air! It doesn't disappear into the ground, at least not to my knowledge. No. It goes into our atmosphere. Some of it gets processed by trees and other plants, but here's the thing: we're cutting down trees. Also, we're using fossil fuels too much...oh wait, did I forget to explain what a fossil fuel is? Silly me, of course a individual such as yourself is far too busy with his job to know what a fossil fuel is! I'll tell you: It's what drives your car around, dumbass!

So, your car burns fossil fuels, and fossil fuels are hydrocarbons (they have hydrogen and carbon. Not that hard). Hydrocarbons burn like anything else to form- and say it with me now- H20 & CO2!!! The H20 isn't all that bad, but the kicker is that car petrol isn't just pure...well...whatever-hydrocarbon-blend-they-use. No! It has other stuff like sulphur, alcohols, or even other types of hydrocarbon! So when you burn it, you get more than just CO2! You get carbon monoxide (also bad for humans), sulphur dioxide (which acidifies rain, causing literal acid to fall from the sky), and a bunch of other things that'll make it harder for you to fill those lungs of yours. Oh, and they also thicken the atmosphere, since CO2 and CO are both better at trapping heat than O2, or oxygen. Oh, and they also cause the oceans to acidify due to a bunch of shenanigans that are too complicated to explain to someone as mentally "gifted" as yourself. That's bad for anything with a shell, since Acid + Carbonate -> salt + CO2 + water. Not table salt, but a salt. Table salt (or sodium chloride (NaCl)) is just one type of salt. This means that those lobster and shellfish that you keep posting pictures of on your page won't have those shells for much longer.

Thus, when you inevitably repeat your immeasurably...let's say "misguided" thinking to others who might be naive enough to believe your speaky-speaks, you can't say that you haven't been informed that what you're saying is completely and utterly wrong. Q. E. D.

Funnily enough, I received a notification saying I'd been blocked by him the next morning. Some people, eh?

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
6 days 18 hours ago #67200 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: A List of Things Whateley Students are No Longer allowed to do
Minh, most people would have blocked you at "smartass" instead of suggesting you educate yourself on why the human body works better with carbon dioxide in the air and in the blood.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrazyMinh

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
More
6 days 13 hours ago #67204 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: A List of Things Whateley Students are No Longer allowed to do

null0trooper wrote: Minh, most people would have blocked you at "smartass" instead of suggesting you educate yourself on why the human body works better with carbon dioxide in the air and in the blood.

Null, I do get that my tone wasn’t all that good. But you have to understand that this was the tail end of a continuous four-hour argument that started because he took issue with something I posted about the NSW fires. I was too tired of his bullshit to either watch my tone or get the science completely nailed down. Admittedly, I did keep it going longer than I should have; but at this point I was too goddamm annoyed to care. Climate deniers really get on my nerves, simce a lot of what they say is complete unacientific garbage. Some of what I said here was garbage too, but at least I admit I’m a mechatronics engineer, not a chemist. I’ve got a grasp of that area that lingers somewhere between High-School chemistry and first-year uni chemistry. So I’ll defer to you on the CO2 bit. I actually didn’t know that. I doubt he would know either, given that he’s a lawyer.

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
More
5 days 21 hours ago #67216 by CrazyMinh
165. There is to be no more use of manifested Pokemon slave labour. If you want a cold beer, get it yourself
165a. Also, I distinctly remember saying that STUDENTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM DRINKING ALCOHOL BARRING BIOLOGICAL REQUIREMENT!!! How often does this have to be said, people!
165b. No, I'm pretty sure that manifested Pokemon can't get drunk. Even if they could, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT???
165c. The owner of the meth-crazed Raichu currently shorting out the entire power grid, zapping passersby with enough juice to induce seizures, and also squealing loud enough to shatter glass should report to the administration offices immediately. With some rubber gloves and a faraday cage.

166. The staff bathrooms: not a place for storing your killer robots. We've had several scrapes and cuts, a few gunshot wounds, at least three dismemberments, and a teacher got a probe where nothing should ever go inside. Period.
166a. The staff bathrooms: not a place for storing your thermal detonators. We've called the Boston PD Bomb Squad more that sixty times in the past three weeks. Please store your explosive devices elsewhere.
166b. The staff bathrooms: not a place for storing anything that isn't meant to be there. Just don't.
166c. By 'anything that isn't meant to be there', I did not mean store exploding toilet brushes, toilet paper covered with itching powder, man-eating cistern robots, electrified flushing cords, or magical killer mops with extreme attitude.

167. Do not press the big red button. We all know you want to, but don't press the goddam big red button.
167a. You pressed it didn't you?

168. Students are not allowed to use power armour to play football. The incident involving Jericho, a football, the front face of Schuster Hall, and three hundred thousand dollars of repair work does not need repeating.

169. Students using invisibility to stalk other students are reminded that stalking is against the law. I think. Does tribal law cover that? Anyone?

170. Reverend Englund is not to be called 'Reverend England'.

171. Students are not to mention Twilight in the presence of Sarah Waite.
171a. Or Reverend Englund
171b. Or the Goobers
171c. Or anyone, really.

172. Students attempting to insinuate that 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is racist to vampires will be reminded that 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is a masterpiece of modern fantasy television, and smearing its name is a punishable offence.
172a. Students with precognition who see a TV show with the initials STD that is potentially related to a certain sci-fi TV franchise are reminded that the future is fluid, and that if such a vile, despicable, unbearably bad show were to be released, it would be a crime against science fiction television.
172b. Students saying they would like a Female Doctor are completely correct. I mean, Dame Judy Dench would be great as The Doctor! So long as they don't hire Jodie Whittaker, everything's just fine!!!
172c. Students who have never heard of Joss Whedon's Firefly are completely insane. Firefly's third season was by far the best. Anyone who thinks it could have possibly been cancelled after only three episodes should head to ARC to be checked for any loose screws in the noggin region.

173. DO NOT attempt CPR if you don't know what you're doing. The tragic "Lung Inflation Incident" the other week has resulted in another lawsuit. Fortunately, we have good lawyers. For us. Not for the student responsible for the accidental overinflation of the human respiratory system.

More
4 days 23 hours ago #67223 by mhalpern
mhalpern replied the topic: A List of Things Whateley Students are No Longer allowed to do
Hey Jodie is good

Any Bad Ideas I have and microscene OC character stories are freely adoptable.

More
1 day 2 hours ago #67273 by JulesMorrison
JulesMorrison replied the topic: A List of Things Whateley Students are No Longer allowed to do
174. Jade is not allowed to give people parts of herself in jars, even if she has already regenerated said part.

174a. Not even as an apology. Even if you were very sorry. Send flowers like a normal person.

174b. Neither as appetizers dammit Jade, unless you want us to revoke the exemption for Bio-Regenetics? I thought not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds