With a lever big enough I can move the world

More
1 year 6 months ago #60987 by DanZilla
DanZilla created the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
This week the release is a Library entry... set in the Battletech universe is With a lever big enough I can move the world (Chapter 1) by MageOhki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #60996 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world

I’m giving you levers… which way will you move the worlds, young humans? I’ll be watching…

On the positive side, Kikyo's not the only one trying out a new body.

On the negative side, Kikyo's not the only one in play.

“A bit of Brace, a sniff of Can-do…” I trailed off ticking my fingers, realizing that my previous partying could be lethal, given the drugs involved. Also a good explanation of everything, so maybe I was crazy.… “And a sniff of Melange. Oh, and of course the usual drinks and some …” Before I could finish, my head was driven into my plate by a hard slap.

It's not the fall that kills you, but the crash at the end that wrecks your day.

"Some NoFear, Ex, and booze: no big deal. Stacked with something that sounds like red mesc stomped with shade: that could be a problem. I think we can see how Kikyo's body ended up with the blinky Vacancy sign."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 6 months ago #61002 by MageOhki
MageOhki replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world

null0trooper wrote:

I’m giving you levers… which way will you move the worlds, young humans? I’ll be watching…

On the positive side, Kikyo's not the only one trying out a new body.

On the negative side, Kikyo's not the only one in play.

There's two people involved Kikyo, and well... second to be determined (though one of the scenes pretty clearly hints at it)
That's it. You get to see Kikyo!Battletech. What Kikyo!(A variant of real world) is doing... who knows? (If you see stompy robots powered by fusion in 10 years, well...)

“A bit of Brace, a sniff of Can-do…” I trailed off ticking my fingers, realizing that my previous partying could be lethal, given the drugs involved. Also a good explanation of everything, so maybe I was crazy.… “And a sniff of Melange. Oh, and of course the usual drinks and some …” Before I could finish, my head was driven into my plate by a hard slap.

It's not the fall that kills you, but the crash at the end that wrecks your day.

"Some NoFear, Ex, and booze: no big deal. Stacked with something that sounds like red mesc stomped with shade: that could be a problem. I think we can see how Kikyo's body ended up with the blinky Vacancy sign."[/quote]

ROB just smiles. "The real problem was the battered and abused army guy."

More
1 year 6 months ago #61003 by null0trooper

MageOhki wrote: ROB just smiles. "The real problem was the battered and abused army guy."

Isn't that what Army guys are for?

Discussion Thread

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
1 year 6 months ago #61012 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Hey MageOki, do you know that a disclaimer is useless? By the law, fanfiction is technically illegal, if it weren't for the application of 'Fair Use', although even that application is shaky (as a lot of the time, fanfiction cannot be placed under that umbrella due to content). There's literally no need legally or otherwise to include a disclaimer, as it offers no protection from the law.

Other than that, great story. I liked it a lot. But just be advised that a disclaimer is useless and only serves to bog down the story.

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

More
1 year 6 months ago #61016 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Actually, a disclaimer serves several purposes. While they do not give an author any authority to be in violation of copyright, they do tell the owners of that copyright that the fan fiction writer acknowledges the rightful ownership and has no intention to challenge that or to profit from it. Many circumstances where an author might otherwise say "I didn't give permission for this use, take it down" can be averted by that simple courtesy. After all, a fan fic piece if done well can serve as advertisement for the original work, resulting in sales that might otherwise not have occurred by making the property visible to new audience. Posting a disclaimer also warns those who might create further derivative work that it IS an unapproved work and that it shouldn't be assumed that posting it won't be challenged (and that posting it for profit could result in a civil suit). It is also possible that a reader doesn't know about the original work... and if you don't acknowledge it, you've mislead them to believe that YOU are responsible for creating it all.

And... perhaps just as importantly... this site requires it. Just as we acknowledge the derivitive nature of many elements in the Whateley Universe, we ask for non-canon authors of Whateley stories to include a disclaimer referring people to this site and the canon collection. We are respectful of the ownership of IP that we do not own because we want people to be respectful of Our property as well. That is why you will find that many of the stories in the Library section include disclaimers. When we fan-fic, we acknowledge the original creators. If those creators or their representatives ask us to take the stories down, we would... in a heartbeat. We might not have official approval to work in their sandbox, but we ALWAYS try to respect the space we use and leave it a nice or better when we are finished.

Personally, I feel that authors who choose to skip the disclaimer because it serves no legal purpose... are those who I least want messing around with my IP. Do you really think avoiding the repercussions of a law suit is the only reason to acknowledge that someone else set the groundwork that you are building from?

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
More
1 year 6 months ago #61018 by CrazyMinh

Kristin Darken wrote: Actually, a disclaimer serves several purposes. While they do not give an author any authority to be in violation of copyright, they do tell the owners of that copyright that the fan fiction writer acknowledges the rightful ownership and has no intention to challenge that or to profit from it. Many circumstances where an author might otherwise say "I didn't give permission for this use, take it down" can be averted by that simple courtesy. After all, a fan fic piece if done well can serve as advertisement for the original work, resulting in sales that might otherwise not have occurred by making the property visible to new audience. Posting a disclaimer also warns those who might create further derivative work that it IS an unapproved work and that it shouldn't be assumed that posting it won't be challenged (and that posting it for profit could result in a civil suit). It is also possible that a reader doesn't know about the original work... and if you don't acknowledge it, you've mislead them to believe that YOU are responsible for creating it all.

And... perhaps just as importantly... this site requires it. Just as we acknowledge the derivitive nature of many elements in the Whateley Universe, we ask for non-canon authors of Whateley stories to include a disclaimer referring people to this site and the canon collection. We are respectful of the ownership of IP that we do not own because we want people to be respectful of Our property as well. That is why you will find that many of the stories in the Library section include disclaimers. When we fan-fic, we acknowledge the original creators. If those creators or their representatives ask us to take the stories down, we would... in a heartbeat. We might not have official approval to work in their sandbox, but we ALWAYS try to respect the space we use and leave it a nice or better when we are finished.

Personally, I feel that authors who choose to skip the disclaimer because it serves no legal purpose... are those who I least want messing around with my IP. Do you really think avoiding the repercussions of a law suit is the only reason to acknowledge that someone else set the groundwork that you are building from?

I actually never thought about it like that. Thanks Kristin.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #61020 by MageOhki
MageOhki replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
And with certain IP, it makes it legal. Not all nations have the same law, and land of first copyright/origin, controls. BT isn't one of them, but...

And at the *worst*, as Kristen pointed out, it's good manners. Most entertainment companies (IMR/CATLabs is one) generally allow fanworks. But they do expect manners.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by MageOhki.

More
1 year 6 months ago #61024 by null0trooper
As a visual reader, an obvious block of disclaimer text is easy to skip over. It's not even the worst annoyance that folks using screen readers have to routinely deal with. It's usually located in a manuscript where acknowledgements, executive summary, or prologue would be placed.

FWIW, my first exposure to Shadowrun was Dr. Bender's "No Time For Second Chances" . That was what swayed my vote when one of my friends announced "Hey, is anyone up for a Shadowrun game? I've got this idea for a street scum campaign in Detroit." In turn, that sold a number of supplement PDFs. Dealing with a couple of players insanely unsuited for the table being run turned into FB posts, then a very short story working out something that had to be box-texted, and eventually a freshman with a thousand-yard stare roaming the Whateley Academy campus in a WhatIF AU.

tl,dr: Every time someone reads a story like this and enjoys the action and setting, there's a good chance they might buy and play the game. Everyone wins.

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
More
1 year 6 months ago #61025 by CrazyMinh

null0trooper wrote: As a visual reader, an obvious block of disclaimer text is easy to skip over. It's not even the worst annoyance that folks using screen readers have to routinely deal with. It's usually located in a manuscript where acknowledgements, executive summary, or prologue would be placed.

FWIW, my first exposure to Shadowrun was Dr. Bender's "No Time For Second Chances" . That was what swayed my vote when one of my friends announced "Hey, is anyone up for a Shadowrun game? I've got this idea for a street scum campaign in Detroit." In turn, that sold a number of supplement PDFs. Dealing with a couple of players insanely unsuited for the table being run turned into FB posts, then a very short story working out something that had to be box-texted, and eventually a freshman with a thousand-yard stare roaming the Whateley Academy campus in a WhatIF AU.

tl,dr: Every time someone reads a story like this and enjoys the action and setting, there's a good chance they might buy and play the game. Everyone wins.

Oh so THAT's how those metro stories work! They're a AU!!! Bloody hell, I was working myself round the bloody twist trying to figure that one out!

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds