With a lever big enough I can move the world

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #61027 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Kikyo's faced with a different set of problems in being dropped into this world. It closely resembles a universe she knows about, but there are sure to be differences that never came up in her game materials. However, there are things that have to happen and people that have to be in certain points in their lives, for the canon and/or fanfiction material to be reality-consistent.

Since I don't know much at all about BT, a Star Trek analogy: If you find yourself inexplicably in 1893 San Francisco, wouldn't you be very interested in looking up whether events match the Mirror-verse or not? Wouldn't looking for Madame Guinan and a group of terrible Shakespearean actors be important? The people around you might be confused that you have such specific interests. Some of them might not appreciate unexpected enquiries that suggest you might stand in their way.

As I see it, Kikyo has two aces up her sleeves. She has information about things going on outside her sphere of influence that the original would not have. She also has access to the walk-in's skills and memories and psychological hangups. The catch is that she still has all the enemies that original-Kikyo had, including the ones the original didn't know about, and there's no easy way to count the jokers in the deck.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by null0trooper. Reason: split response out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #61030 by Katssun
Katssun replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
How much lore is the reader expected to know?

I've heard of Battletech and have seen someone else playing it, but other than big robots shoot missiles and lasers and the video games were best enjoyed with a flight stick...I don't know anything about the setting.

More
1 year 6 months ago #61033 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Even a lot of people who played Battletech never got the lore side of it. I've played the tabletop strategy game, the old apple (unapproved) adaptation, and even just a little of Mechwarrior (which was the first version of the game that was more RPG focused on the pilots than on mech combat in the field). But there are a number of further versions and expansions since the original Mechwarrior which is where most people got their foundation for the lore/universe. And novels. And additional game variations. The newest version of the game does a decent job of integrating the strategy and the story/universe, though unfortunately it takes higher power graphics than my current PC can handle. Looks like I need to budget a computer upgrade in the next couple years.

Anyway... to answer the question - not much. MageOhki seems to be explaining as he goes, giving what you need to know in asides. One of those 'you could probably get more out of it if you knew more about the various clans' or 'that slang refers to certain types of combat / action that you might not actually see' ... like 'death from above' has a specific meaning in BT. Most mechs have jump jets, though only the smaller ones can use them to do any serious flight... or custom built that have sacrificed weapon space or ammo for flight capability. But one 'risky' move that a pilot can make is to jump and drop out of the sky on their opposition. Small mechs might be 10-20 tons... medium ones 40-60... so you can imagine that neither mech comes out of that unscathed. But generally, a good pilot can knock down an opponent with a 'death from above' hit... and that's bad news for their survival rate. But it also tends to be very rough on the legs of the flying mech. So it takes a sort of crazy desperation to use the method. Rarely are the words "death from above" spoken without a cringe.

As a side note, it is possible to drop a 95 ton mech on a 30 ton mech using death from above using a combination of jump jets and terrain. Best use of a Banshee ever. Maybe the only good use ever... the Banshee was never a very good mech unless you could surprise an opponent and engage from close range without having to close first. Because it WAS good at melee... its just next to never that you get an assault mech into close range to melee.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #61051 by MageOhki
MageOhki replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Updated Banshees are better... and there's a *reason* why there's the Term Highlander Burial in Battletech... (Highlander is a *stock* base desgin 90 ton JUMP capable mech...)

Now:
I'm more *into* the Lore, over the tabletop rules, myself. Battletech, 'spc parts done by FASA in terms of Lore resembles Game of Thrones a LOT (and way before...), and FASA did a hell of a job creating interesting charatcers in the 3020's period of Battletech.

Are you, the reader expected to know the lore? Noope. Not at all. I knew when I started this, I'd be writing for non BT people.

Realistically, the only thing you, the reader need to bring? You did.

"Big Stompy Robots in the Far future."

And... that Battletech itself, and it's 3020's period was 'base' written in the 80's. Nuff said.

As for Kikyo!Insert's situation..... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

And one of those enemies.... is blood. And just might know a few things, neh?

Side note: Yes, I'm using the HBS version of the universe to some degree.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by MageOhki.

More
1 year 3 months ago #63432 by DanZilla
DanZilla replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Part 2 is this weeks release... please enjoy and comment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
1 year 3 months ago #63500 by null0trooper
Link to Chapter 2 for folks not seeing anything about levers in the Original/2nd Gen story blocks.

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla

More
1 year 3 months ago #63509 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
You wouldn't see it in the Origin or 2nd gen story categories for the same reason the feedback thread is in this section. It's not part of the WU... its a Library story. So you'll find it in the NON-Canon Stories list (that's the third well down on the right sidebar)... or if you go looking in the Read Stories section of the site, you'll find it in the Library->Unique Sci-Fi list.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

More
4 months 1 week ago #68166 by DanZilla
DanZilla replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
Part 3 is now available for your reading pleasure.

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 1 week ago #68169 by null0trooper
Chapter 3 link

Note to self: Onishi Kiyoko =/= Onishi Kikyo.

Discussion Thread

More
4 months 1 week ago #68202 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: With a lever big enough I can move the world
I enjoyed the story, though it has been long enough that a link to chapter one might be in order.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds