× Information in these threads may still be relevant but aren't critical for everyone to read if they are just logging in for the first time. Anything temporarily posted in news/announcements that is policy oriented will be added to the official policy pages before being placed here.

Some additional 'less critical' staff announcements may be posted here. Things like contact info and the like...

News and request for prayers

• E. E. Nalley
  • E. E. Nalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
3 years 11 months ago #20373 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: News and request for prayers
First, the demon had a name; herniated C2 vertebral disc. Now I've looked the demon in the eye; the bulge pressing into my spinal cord is the size of a marble. Half of my spinal cord passage is affected right at my brains stem. The doctor is surprised my symptoms are not worse.

I will go under the knife, assuming my cardiologist and pulmonologist both give the surgeon yes he will survive the anesthesia hold harmless forms, August 15. Where my neck will be cut open like a fillet front and back while this thing is carved out of my spine bit by bit. And if the surgeon loses concentration, or the scalpel slips, I don't wake up.

Don't mind saying I'm a little scared.

On the plus side, they tell me I should be up and walking the same day of the surgery, and while I may need to get some practice typing again I should have full use of my hands and senses almost immediately.

May God will it to be so. Your prayers are appreciated.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #20377 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: News and request for prayers
you know you've got them, my brother.

it may be scary, but knowing you'll wake up feeling better is a huge upside.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

More
3 years 11 months ago #20380 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: News and request for prayers
It's cool to be scared, just don't let it weigh on you too much.

We're human beings. We get around our daily lives by climbing into a couple tons of metal and plastic, accelerate it to speeds over 100 ft/sec and send it along controlled narrow pathways not much more than ten feet wide, while others of our kind do the same thing: hundreds or thousands of these objects travelling along the same paths some in similar directions, others in the opposite direction.

And most of us do this without fear. Many even consider such daily commutes to be boring. And when driving, we are far more at risk from a mistake or lack of skill on the part of an unknown than we are at the hand of a skilled and practiced surgeon.

Also know that a pack of screaming vengeful fans will descend like a plague of locusts should anything go wrong. ;)

Keep us informed E.E., you know we're all rooting for you.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

More
3 years 11 months ago #20383 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: News and request for prayers
Definitely praying for you, EE. Hope all goes well.

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

More
3 years 11 months ago #20396 by Bek D Corbin
Bek D Corbin replied the topic: News and request for prayers
I've said a prayer, lit a candle, burnt some money and said a few 'Nom myoho renge kyo's in your direction, EE. Here's hoping that this is the last of your thrilling medical drama.

And hey, look at the bright side! You've got a killer 'let me tell you about my operation' story for when you're a geezer! Y'ain't there, yet, son!

• Astrodragon
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #20401 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: News and request for prayers
Thoughts are with you, and hoping it all goes smoothly.

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.

More
3 years 11 months ago #20642 by Nagrij
Nagrij replied the topic: News and request for prayers
Medical and surgical advances make even something like this a cakewalk; just think, when you were born they didn't even bother touching the spine, and now they can do it and have you out and active the same day. Your surgeon has likely done hundreds of these with no issue.

You can worry, but there is no need to. You got this.

That said, you have all the prayers you could want.

www.patreon.com/Nagrij

If you like my writing, please consider helping me out, and see the rest of the tales I spin on Patreon.

More
3 years 10 months ago #21499 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: News and request for prayers
If everything is on schedule, then EE has (or had) his surgery today. Needless to say, I'm concerned about my friend and will be that way until I hear that he's doing better, or that his surgery was rescheduled, or whatever. Meanwhile, continuing the worry / thoughts / prayers for a successful outcome.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kristin Darken, NeoMagus

More
3 years 10 months ago #21500 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: News and request for prayers
You're not the only one, El. Praying for him as well, that everything goes smoothly and as planned.

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

• E. E. Nalley
  • E. E. Nalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
3 years 9 months ago #22895 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: Plea for help
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

It has been a while since I posted, and while I wish I could report all things are rainbows and unicorns, my experience has been exactly opposite of that. August 31 was when I was supposed to go under the knife for the surgery. Instead I caught pneumonia, which pushed everything backwards. Meanwhile I am becoming distressed that the checks from the short-term disability insurance I've been paying for for 3 years are not coming.

So while fighting a pneumonia infection I get to play phone tag with my HR director and the insurance company. Assuming nothing worse happens, I am finally sufficiently well to undergo surgery Monday. This would be when the insurance company chose to call to inform me that because I had only started with them April 1 of this year and the condition I'm having surgery for was considered pre-existing, I would only get two weeks of pay as opposed to the 12 I'm supposed to be entitled to.

There must be some mistake, I inform the insurance company I've been paying for this for 3 years since I joined the server group at IBM. Well, the lady informs me, not exactly. While I have been paying for short-term disability insurance for 3 years, that was with a different company. As my contracting firm changed companies April 1 of this year, I'm considered a new enrollee and so I only get 2 weeks.

Are lawyers going to get involved? Of course they are, and in 3 years or so when this is settled I'll get what is due me. Of course it doesn't pay my bills in the meantime. So if you'd like to throw something to the starving artist, there's a link to my go fund me in the first message of this thread.

Thanks again and I'll see you on the other side.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds