× This section is for feedback and discussion about in progress Fabrication Lab works (before the story is 'published' to the site, at which point use the commenting system or the Evaluation section for formal reviews).

If a author is open to discussion/feedback on their story, they will create a thread for it to take place in... if no thread exists, it means the author prefers to work without feedback at this time. Authors may also make a post and just ask that any feedback be sent via PM instead of public posting.

Posting rules: Only authors and staff may create threads but all registered members can post replies.

Max Does the Splits discussion

• Littlebeast
  • Littlebeast's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46190 by Littlebeast
Littlebeast created the topic: Max Does the Splits discussion
Story thread

So.. Putting this back up since I'm working on it again.

I wrote most of this story back in 2014(might have been 2015) and posted it to the old forums. And while I've done some revision, it's minor and I haven't caught up with the stories that have been published while I was away, so...

I'm not 100% sure I want to worry about canon anyway (there's a headcanon explanation of a canon fact in chapter 2, plus one of my very tenuous plans for when he reaches Whateley would break canon wide open) but regardless, please let me know if you spot any contradictions!

I intend to post this to WhatIF once the whole first story is done, but for now it's going to be on the forums. (And AO3, but that's more to see if I can attract non-Whateley fans (somehow magically)).

Anyway! Please feel free to post both reviews and speculation.

Max Does the Splits: Story * Discussion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #46191 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Max Does the Splits discussion
My reaction when I realized what this was: :blink: :woohoo:

Yeah, it seems like AO3 has only your fic on there. Fanfiction.net has a lot more, in comparison. I guess none of those authors made the move to AO3...

Interesting how he knew he was gonna mutate. But how? Is there another mutant in the family?

Typos:

“I made some calls(.)”

I started to get up, but(-)
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Malady.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Littlebeast

• Littlebeast
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #46200 by Littlebeast
Littlebeast replied the topic: Max Does the Splits discussion
I deliberately omitted the dash to convey brevity.. I'm not sure if that's really a thing, but it was the intent. Thanks for spotting the other, though!

And the second chapter is up, now. I meant to do it right away (entirely due to your enthusiasm!) buuut I got distracted by tumblr.

I think this chapter should answer that question :)
It also introduces meta-spread, which is the headcanon I was talking about before. Basically I was taking a genetics course while reading all the Whateley stories, and it made me wonder how the growth in the mutant population described in the Braeburn report could mesh with real genetics. This was my conclusion.
Ofc it's quite probable any canon explanation would contradict this...

Also, I tend to include things that make me giggle even if no one else will get them. Like "it's a beautiful day in the Santa Cruz neighborhood" - that was something one of my high school teachers said all the time (except with the high school's name instead).

(Did anyone think the Brass Monkey bit was amusing?)

Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Littlebeast.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46201 by Malady
Thanks! ... Yay! Humorous testing! ... Now I feel like rereading Tink just for that...

Yeah, I know how it is. Hope Tumblr was fun!

Typos:

Why can’t I just be ME?”7

Without some release(,)

• Littlebeast
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46203 by Littlebeast
Chapter 3 up, I'm just breezing through 'em here for you :)

There's a reference to a character that inspired Max in here. Can You Spot It?

Oh, and Julian misremembered - Mab was actually (mentioned) in Romeo and Juliet. I just left it since it seems a reasonable mistake to make, yes?

(also, yes, he literally tested if a tinfoil hat would stop the connection.)

• Littlebeast
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46206 by Littlebeast
Chapter 4 up!

Not much else to say here except I *still* enjoy that dream sequence every time I see it. Dreams are fun to write.

Oh, and I've now hit the point of what I put on AO3, so following chapters will be a little slower for extra proofreading.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #46207 by Malady
So, inspired by Meepo, I guess?

So, May is gonna become her own person? Cool! I'm not even sure if the Archives go any further...

My pillow was damp by the time I fell asleep.

So sad!

April 1, 2014
72 hours remain

What?? Did you mod the timeline so Gen1 happens earlier??
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Malady.

• Littlebeast
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46209 by Littlebeast
Oh, I guess Meepo would be the obvious candidate for that, wouldn't it? But no, that was a later comparison. Although he did inspire a secondary power that's coming up later.

No changing the timeline; this is just set between gens. I started writing it before Gen 2 started, so I didn't know when that would be set. (Besides, it's somewhat freeing to not be the same year as the canon characters.)

>not even sure if the Archives go any further
Oh! I actually didn't realize there was an archive. That's good. I think I posted one or two more chapters, previously, but you may not have caught them. I know I was writing ahead by a couple of chapters, then (which I have no real intention of doing now) so I've definitely got new stuff to post. :)

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46211 by Malady
Oh! Totally forgot about the 'porting! ... This totally reminds me of the canon Duplicator Frosh 2007 Girl... Who's also in the MicroScenes, I think by Domoviye.

Maybe link your story in your sig, like how Rose Bunny's doing it.

Search around, if you dunno how and want to. I posted instructions to at least two people who are doing it.

• Littlebeast
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #46216 by Littlebeast
Chapter 6 :)

I keep debating whether to give Max another power. Nothing in this story demands one, but I kinda feel bad for saddling him with all this shit and giving him nothing cool. (Well, it's sort of cool I guess, but he'd definitely be an Underdog).

...i feel like I had something else to say, but I've lost it. Hmn.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds