4 years 9 months ago #2750 by annachie
annachie replied the topic: Measuring the consumed foot at the caf
Don't you love it when a throwaway joke leads to it's own thread. Lol

Iblike the tray idea though.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2778 by Blue Moose
Blue Moose replied the topic: Measuring the consumed foot at the caf
Honestly? We're the masters of tangents. There are more tangents here already than a geometry textbook.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2779 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Measuring the consumed foot at the caf

Blue Moose wrote: Honestly? We're the masters of tangents. There are more tangents here already than a geometry textbook.

Except when we close one out then it becomes an issue

What is - was. What was - is.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #2781 by Blue Moose
In any case, getting back to the topic at hand from my own tangent tangenting.....

SirLee wrote:

Phoenix Spiritus wrote: Another suggestion if you really don't want checkouts, put the scales in the food service trays. Then note how much is being removed and onto which I plate it goes with cameras and student card RFID scanners near the serving trays. It doesn't then matter what the students do to their plate, because you are measuring what is being removed from the serving trays.

That might work, and it's more precise in theory (since you could theoretically quantify how much of each type of food each student is consuming, not just the overall mass) but I think is unnecessarily complex, with all the tracking of which student is picking how much meatloaf -- and it assumes students are well-behaved and polite, serving themselves always in the assigned order.

A possible Whateley-style solution would be to embed scales and RFID readers in the *trays themselves*. Tracking the weight change between taking the tray out of the food tables and returning it to the bussing area would yield rather precise data on the amount eaten. But it would still have to deal with human-nature complications, such as a friend bussing the tray of another.

I see one major problem with this solution: the trays themselves. With Whateley, they'd go though a ridiculous number of trays, between being broken in cafeteria fights, mangled from students who are still getting a hold of their new increased strength, and stolen for a variety of purposes. Heck, at the local university, I know the students steal trays for use as sleds during winter. Add to that the odd divisor that hacks the scale for personal use in the labs (Because you know some would) and making those trays would be far too cost-inefficient for campus.

Edit: As an aside, I can totally see Toni stealing a tray for full-throttle extreme sledding.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Blue Moose.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2782 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Measuring the consumed foot at the caf
Umm, what's measuring the weight of the trays got to do with them being stolen?

Anyway, it doesn't matter what the trays weigh, or what the amount of food in the trays weigh, it only matters the weight of the food leaving the tray, i.e. the delta amount the weight of the tray is changing.

And all the others issues with them being stolen and the like are issues that are currently being faced, no different with or without scales built into the serving equipment or not.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2784 by Blue Moose
If the school keeps losing the trays, from damage or thievery, how can they be used to adequately measure the food in the first place? As such, It makes more sense to have the measuring device in a central place, like the 'pay' counters, then de-centralizing the measurement.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2785 by Phoenix Spiritus
If the school is loosing trays at that rate, who cares about measuring the food, how the hell are they serving it?

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #2786 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Measuring the consumed foot at the caf
Trays aren't measured its the item itself and if its a bowl for salad it should already be computed into the scale to subtract its weight from the salad itself. This goes for plates also. Step-daughter went through this at college

What is - was. What was - is.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by E M Pisek.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #2787 by lighttech
lighttech replied the topic: Measuring the consumed foot at the caf
IMHO it would be far easier for a cafeteria to just lay out basic service like this for the most part --at least till you have to deal with Goodkind that is!--lol

every item is a serving in a box to match--burgers, whole pizzas, a large salad, old dog or cat ect then bar-code the boxes and done for the most part --where the rest is the banquet service is where the hard stuff starts in.

"ohh crud Sara is gone --what are we going to do with the 40 cats and dogs I ordered!"

Part of the WA Drow clan/ collective
Author of Vantier and Shadowsblade on Bigcloset
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by lighttech.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #2790 by Phoenix Spiritus

lighttech wrote: "ohh crud Sara is gone --what are we going to do with the 40 cats and dogs I ordered!"

"Waa do ya thinks in the burger?"
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds