Champion's replacement

More
4 years 9 months ago #3271 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Champion's replacement
Given that it has to be an Avatar, we have a limited known pool of student Avatars.

Appaloosa
Arachne
Bloodwolf
Bluejay
Kodiak
Mongoose
Silverwing
Solange
Tidewater

Thunderbird isn't really an Avatar
Thunderbird

These are Freshmen/new students
Aquerna
Miasma
Miyet
Peccary
Pejuta
Suzan Chylds
Swoop
Timeless

These are foreign students
Mezzo
Hoarder
Zhong Lau

My bet is that it is one of the other students with unknown powers.

Don't Drick and Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #3278 by annachie
annachie replied the topic: Champion's replacement
Makes you wonder. Does the replacement Champion have a spirit or 2, and how does that spirit feel about being potentially tossed for the champion force? Or being absorbed by it?

Next thought, given that HM is apparently part of a plot to kidnap spirits from avatars, would he be friendly with said future Champion. Being a friend would make stealing the Champion force easier.

More
4 years 9 months ago #3282 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: Champion's replacement

annachie wrote: Next thought, given that HM is apparently part of a plot to kidnap spirits from avatars, would he be friendly with said future Champion. Being a friend would make stealing the Champion force easier.

Well crap, I never even considered the prospect that HM's spirit-theft plot could be connected with the alleged "Champion-in-training" who's supposed to be at Whateley, in spite of the fact that (iirc) stealing the Champion Force is expressly stated as a possible goal of that plot...

Yeesh, now my mind is reeling from the potential implications of this... :blink:

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

More
4 years 9 months ago #3298 by Dawnfyre
Dawnfyre replied the topic: Champion's replacement
I would bet a fancy dinner on Timeless being the next Champion. Timeless is an Avatar, and only has the kitten spirit, that I suspect is actually his deceased baby sister's spirit. He does not want to bond with a spirit, so him being chosen for the next Champion would work, since it is not really a spirit that Champion possesses.

Stupidity is a capitol offense, a summary not indictable one.

• Naomi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #3305 by Naomi
Naomi replied the topic: Champion's replacement
Why would they preferentially use a Whateley student to be the next Champion? (I recall it being mentioned that there's always a ready replacement at Whateley with a jet ready to take them to take up the mantle) I'm fairly sure that Champions tend to last a LOT longer than four years and thus older candidates should be freely available. Having a wider pool of candidates would also mean that they could select from a stricter set of criteria than if just the students currently at Whateley are involved, it removes a lot of unfair social pressure to go into an extremely high-risk position, etc.

Of course, it could also all be unreliable narrator and they don't actually intend to ever use a Whateley student as the next Champion.

• Arcanist Lupus
  • Arcanist Lupus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
4 years 9 months ago #3309 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: Champion's replacement
The candidate pool might not be as broad as you think. My impression is that as the most famous superhero in the States (if not the world), being Champion is pretty much a full time job. The next Champion has to be a high level Avatar who is willing to drop their entire life at a moment's notice to assume the role. If you already have a job and a family, that's a pretty tall order. If you're fresh out of high school, less so. And apart from real world experience as a hero, Whateley is the best schooling a high level mutant can get.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the Whateley student being groomed to be the next Champion has already graduated, but the story is still being passed around because none of the students realize it.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

More
4 years 9 months ago #3311 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Champion's replacement
One reason is that Champion's replacement at Whateley gives them a ready person, that they know where he is and how to get him someplace quickly.

Don't Drick and Drive.

• Naomi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #3313 by Naomi
Naomi replied the topic: Champion's replacement

Valentine wrote: One reason is that Champion's replacement at Whateley gives them a ready person, that they know where he is and how to get him someplace quickly.

Which they could also achieve by keeping a candidate either at a hero's base or where they can quickly retrieve them as readily as possible, and preferably having multiple candidates ready to go at any one time. If the highest priority doesn't get there in time they could either have a lower priority take up the mantle permanently, or to just hold onto the Champion Force until the preferred replacement is ready to have it transferred.

Your list of candidates is a lot higher when it isn't "be the next Champion" and is instead "Can hold the Champion Force and can be trusted to transfer it as directed".

Personally, I'd absolutely refuse to be Champion or even host the Champion Force under all but the most extreme of circumstances. Being Champion would be absolutely horrible, and even holding the Champion Force as a temporary measure would mean breaking the alliance with my spirit companion or, even worse, killing them in some way.

And that's not even getting into the whole "party to the exploitation of a spirit born from mass slaughter and kept imprisoned since birth" issue.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Naomi.

More
4 years 8 months ago #3334 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Champion's replacement
I don't think any student is ever TOLD they are being groomed to be the replacement Champion; thing is, if the current Champion happens to have a long career, what is the kid expected to do? Put his whole life on hold? Graduate with a training geared for holding a Force, when he actually doesn't have one?

No, what the school would do is to keep an eye on promising high-level Avatars with a heroic streak. Possibly a FSA membership, although that wouldn't be an actual requirement. The school grapevine might have their theories about who is the current one, but it's never official.

We know from Elizabeth Carson's experience that the Champion Force apparently does not work well, long term, with women Avatars -- she held the Champion Force for a short period, but gave it up when a suitable male was found. She did apparently get a power-up from the deal, though.

Whoever the Champion potential replacements are, they are likely to be:
1. High-level Avatars
2. Male
3. Heroic bent
4. American (well, I guess they COULD go with a close-ally foreigner, like a Brit or a Canadian, in a pinch, but I count that as "highly unlikely" -- they would probably go with a female temp holder first)
5. (possibly) willing to relocate to Chicago. (Desirable, but probably not a strict requirement)

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
4 years 8 months ago #3337 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: Champion's replacement
Sir Lee, look at the flip side of that; what if the kid has his own plans for his life and then suddenly "Here's the Champ Force, go up hold the tradition."

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds