"Your safety inspection sticker."

"And the other one?"

"Your annual license tag."

"Then why did you put plates on the front and back?"

"Licensing requirements. Gotta be legible to law enforcement from 70 feet."

"And blinkers? On the shoulders? Where I mount my weapons?"

"Regulations. And you've got 5 working days to mount front and rear bumpers."

"Bumpers?!?!?!?"

"Minimum 6" protrusion, able to absorb a 5 mph impact, between 18 and 24 inches above the ground."

Eye roll. "Screw this! I'll license it as an off-road vehicle."

"Okay, then let's talk about your roll bars and skid plates....."

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Kettlekorn, Katssun

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #66613 by annachie
annachie replied the topic: Power Armour classification & legal niceties
Some states in Oz, maybe all, allow you to get a permit for an unregistered vehicle, though you can only drive it to and from mechanics and the DMV equilivent.

Also, if you are registering a car that had previously expired they have to sight the vin and engine numbers.

Where I live things like mecha would probably need to carry "oversize" warnings to go on the roads.

More
1 week 1 day ago #66615 by Hebblejebble
Hebblejebble replied the topic: Power Armour classification & legal niceties
Now I'm picturing a Whateley devisor in their last year frantically re-working their design to try and say that their 'augmented superhero costume' technically doesn't meet the definition of power armour and thus doesn't require certification.

Or Jericho moaning about how much extra paperwork is involved in getting a blind man a license to piloting power armour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
1 week 1 day ago #66616 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Power Armour classification & legal niceties
I remember a scene (I'm pretty sure it was in Rod Edminston's "Masks" series) where a character had some trouble about flying without filing a plan etc., even though he took pains to fit within the specs of ultralight aircraft, even wearing a jacket with "EXPERIMENTAL" printed in large letters.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
1 week 12 hours ago #66621 by Court
Court replied the topic: Power Armour classification & legal niceties
In real life, Spirit of Saint Louis had some regulatory issues. Most were easily gotten around simply by declaring it to be an experimental aircraft with no passengers. However, there was one regulation that applied even to experimental aircraft: Any aircraft flying at night had to have lights, and Spirit didn't. The official of the Aeronautics Branch of the Commerce Department dealing with Spirit waived this requirement, on the grounds that where it was flying, it wasn't likely to run into any other aircraft.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds