Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #4628 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

Domoviye wrote: OK, that clears up everything nicely.

I found mud. Don't know how clear that was. :silly: :P :unsure:\

Maybe at the next convention of the Wild Order of the Wandering Buffalo's it might help.

What is - was. What was - is.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by E M Pisek.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4631 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
Clean your glasses off old man. That will help. :P

More
4 years 8 months ago #4632 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
I was thinking of a different sort of magic. A more ritual based magic. The personal essence of the caster isn't important, but following the ritual exactly is. Consecration of temples, or Holy symbols or Holy Water sort of things.

The effect I was thinking of would be a faithful soldier wearing a Consecrated Crucifix that would stymie a Ghost Walking Shaman from entering his dream space.

None of this could be done in a combat situation, but would take a long time to prepare and do.

Don't Drick and Drive.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #4634 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
I think the be all and end all was the same in both universes.

No matter how many American settlers they killed, there was always another pilgrim caravan following on behind them, and a new boatload of new pilgrims arriving at the docks behind that. All being good at killing the settlers got you was a visit from the cavalry. Numbers and superior weapons will eventually win.

Also the Australian experience isn't compatible to the US one, Australia never really had armed resistance from our Aborigines to deal with (for a variety of reasons, mostly the land is a lot harsher and there was always massively less of both Europeans and Aborigines involved), I'm not saying there was no bloodshed, but it was usually at the level of single tribes against a dozen or so settlers, and it wasn't unknown for the police to hang the settlers for killing the Aborigines).
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4638 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

E. E. Nalley wrote: These were not duels of competing magical traditions. But while force of numbers does play a part in all of this the real undoing of the aboriginal tribes was the same thing that undid them in our universe; firearms.

And diseases. Flu and smallpox, among others, did a quite a number of Native Americans. Yes, Europeans got syphilis in exchange, but it is a slow killer compared to the epidemic fast killers they brought.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4712 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
Seriously. People think what was doneas colonies were established and settlers started expandingwas bad? It was .. but it was nothing compared to the epidemics that swept across the continents a couple generations before the sttlers started building. By the time the colonists started encountering natives manytribes were gone completely and the rest wer3 shadows of what they ad been.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

More
4 years 8 months ago #4713 by annachie
annachie replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

Phoenix Spiritus wrote: I'm not saying there was no bloodshed, but it was usually at the level of single tribes against a dozen or so settlers, and it wasn't unknown for the police to hang the settlers for killing the Aborigines).

Or for the dozen settlers to eliminate the tribe completely.

There's a massacre site not far from me.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4715 by Domoviye

Kristin Darken wrote: Seriously. People think what was doneas colonies were established and settlers started expandingwas bad? It was .. but it was nothing compared to the epidemics that swept across the continents a couple generations before the sttlers started building. By the time the colonists started encountering natives manytribes were gone completely and the rest wer3 shadows of what they ad been.

Yep.
Some archeologists believe before Europeans arrived there were about 90 million Indians living in North America. And sailors wrote how they could smell woodsmoke a hundred miles out to see.
Also there are reports from early explorers of finding rotting and abandoned cities (for that time a few thousand) that had disappeared by the time settleres and large numbers of explorers arrived. The epidemics were the big problem.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4809 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
Hey, are the white, yellow, red, and black buffalo mythologies, as said in Buffalo Gal 1 a real thing, or just made for Whateley as a result of ethnic multi-occurrence in the days of the Five Fold Court, in the first timeline?

Or is it something else?

More
4 years 8 months ago #4810 by Domoviye
I can't recall what was said in the story, but there are myths and legends about different coloured buffalo heralding the start of different things. Elrod can almost certainly explain it more, but they're real.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds