Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

More
4 years 8 months ago #4811 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

Malady wrote: Hey, are the white, yellow, red, and black buffalo mythologies, as said in Buffalo Gal 1 a real thing, or just made for Whateley as a result of ethnic multi-occurrence in the days of the Five Fold Court, in the first timeline?

Or is it something else?


That is a real Lakota mythological thing. The four colors stand for - variously - the four directions, or the four colors of man. When it comes to Lakota mythology and lore for Kayda, unless I make note of it somewhere, it's based on authentic legend and lore.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4816 by Dawnfyre
Dawnfyre replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

elrodw wrote:

Malady wrote: Hey, are the white, yellow, red, and black buffalo mythologies, as said in Buffalo Gal 1 a real thing, or just made for Whateley as a result of ethnic multi-occurrence in the days of the Five Fold Court, in the first timeline?

Or is it something else?


That is a real Lakota mythological thing. The four colors stand for - variously - the four directions, or the four colors of man. When it comes to Lakota mythology and lore for Kayda, unless I make note of it somewhere, it's based on authentic legend and lore.


not just Lakota, the 4 roads / colours are also in the Coast Salish here, and in the Cree, Ojibwa tribes in eastern Canada.

Stupidity is a capitol offense, a summary not indictable one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4859 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
Curious that the four colors of bison match the obsolete classification of mankind in four so-called "races". If this "four colors of man" mythology predated 1492, it's a hell of a coincidence. More likely it's a late-date interpretation of the myth, after someone noticed the coincidence.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #4869 by Dawnfyre
Dawnfyre replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
we will never know for sure when the 4 colours started as such, but I suspect the 4 paths, one for each direction ( sic, every formal ceremony in native traditions has 7 sacred directions, not 4 ) does predate the 1492 columbus invasion.

edit to add:
East, South, West, North, Sky, Earth and Center. the 7 sacred directions, in the correct order.

Stupidity is a capitol offense, a summary not indictable one.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Dawnfyre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4877 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

Dawnfyre wrote: we will never know for sure when the 4 colours started as such, but I suspect the 4 paths, one for each direction ( sic, every formal ceremony in native traditions has 7 sacred directions, not 4 ) does predate the 1492 columbus invasion.

edit to add:
East, South, West, North, Sky, Earth and Center. the 7 sacred directions, in the correct order.


The number 7 appears several times in the Lakota mythology (I can't speak for others); At the time of the coming of the White Buffalo Calf Woman, the 7 sacred council fires of the Lakota were together camping. She brought 7 sacred ceremonies to the People. These are but some examples.

(And is it a coincidence that the Roman Catholic Church - source of many of the missionaries to the Native Americans - has 7 sacraments? We shall never know.)

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4878 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
In the Christian tradition the number seven has special meaning all the way back to the seven tribes of Israel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • E. E. Nalley
  • E. E. Nalley's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
4 years 8 months ago #4879 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
Uh, Phoenix, there were 12 tribes of Israel, not 7.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4889 by jmhyp
jmhyp replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?
The other 5 were cyclons.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4892 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

jmhyp wrote: The other 5 were cyclons.


Klingons.

Cylons. Pulls out phaser firing blast back.

Klingons Jumps behind suddenly materialized wall shooting with phazer back.

What is - was. What was - is.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4918 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Aboriginal history in Whateley-'verse Sum Up?

E. E. Nalley wrote: Uh, Phoenix, there were 12 tribes of Israel, not 7.


Doh! Teach me to do things at midnight.

Sorry, that's why twelve is important, seven goes back to Genisis and God taking six days to create the world "and on the seventh day rested".

Sorry.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum