Package Deal Psychics and Other Psychics(?

• Softdreams
  • Softdreams's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69189 by Softdreams
Softdreams replied the topic: Package Deal Psychics and Other Psychics(?
The Dream Team is making a come back for Gen 2?! I couldn't be any more excited, I was always very intrigued by them in Gen 1, specially by their member Weaver.

That explains a lot about the whole Mages vs Psi's debacle, thanks for explaining it to me!

Regarding the Espers and other Psychics, do their personalities pre-mutation have something to do with it? Let's say, a person who is naturally fond of electronics, and thoroughly enjoys experimenting with them, and then said person happens to mutate into a Psi/Esper. Could this attune this person's Esper trait? Or are both of these things completely unrelated?

Same goes for TK's, like, pre-mutation they had a desire to be very strong, or TL's like Freya/Sahar whose personalities go along quite well with their knacks. Could this be why they developed these knacks?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69190 by Softdreams
Allow me to correct myself, I didn't know Esoteric was a Gen 1, Year 2 character. Just looked it up and getting to binge-read your story!

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69194 by Erianaiel
Erianaiel replied the topic: Package Deal Psychics and Other Psychics(?

Softdreams wrote: how Tansy was able to perform/master tantic sex?

*grins impishly*

Enthusiastically, of course.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69202 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Package Deal Psychics and Other Psychics(?

Softdreams wrote: Regarding the Espers and other Psychics, do their personalities pre-mutation have something to do with it? Let's say, a person who is naturally fond of electronics, and thoroughly enjoys experimenting with them, and then said person happens to mutate into a Psi/Esper. Could this attune this person's Esper trait? Or are both of these things completely unrelated?

Same goes for TK's, like, pre-mutation they had a desire to be very strong, or TL's like Freya/Sahar whose personalities go along quite well with their knacks. Could this be why they developed these knacks?

Ask ten people. Half of them will say that power sets were influenced by their psychological profile. Three more will say it was not only personal, but it was tied to the exact situation they were in at manifestation. Three people will deny it completely.

Truthfully? No one knows. Confirmation bias is a notorious thing... just because people think their power set is based on their personality or events at the time of manifestation...doesn't mean its true. After all, just having a power set doesn't translate into how you use it, what training you pursue, which techniques you try to master and how you integrate what you have into a usable whole... THAT is your personality at play. So genetics or environment? Same old argument really. :P

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, Softdreams

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69204 by Softdreams
There not being a clear answer for this question makes a lot of sense, I mean, occasionally it might seem like; yes, it does play a role in mutants' manifestations but in A LOT of other cases that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

My question mostly came to be because I tend to conflate the terms techniques and knacks, to be specific, I tend to see Psi knacks as techniques that come naturally to a certain mutant.

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69205 by Softdreams
I forgot to add this in before I sent the previous paragraphs... By "dimension/planes tapping ones" (you said this in your very first answer, honestly I need to learn how to quote things on this website :( ) were you referring to Manifestors?

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69207 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Package Deal Psychics and Other Psychics(?

Softdreams wrote: I forgot to add this in before I sent the previous paragraphs... By "dimension/planes tapping ones" (you said this in your very first answer, honestly I need to learn how to quote things on this website :( ) were you referring to Manifestors?

* One explanation for devisors is that they are imposing the rules of a different reality on the same space as their inventions.
* Astral sight and astral projection clearly taps one or more non-physical planes (and demonstrate that minds/souls aren't limited to them)
* Precogs violate the one second per second rule of our physical reality when using their clairvoyance
** Diviners may be precognition, advanced senses + mental processing, or picking up warnings from extradimensional beings, or a combination of them all
** Danger sense: the subconscious drives the diviner talent instead of the conscious
* Telekinetics can exert mechanical action at a distance, violating classical mechanics
etc.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Falconer: A Stranger Arrives in Town

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kristin Darken, Softdreams

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69208 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Package Deal Psychics and Other Psychics(?

Kristin Darken wrote: Ask ten people. Half of them will say that power sets were influenced by their psychological profile. Three more will say it was not only personal, but it was tied to the exact situation they were in at manifestation. Three people will deny it completely.

That's eleven answers from ten people. Which, when we are talking about Whateley characters, is about par for the course.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69209 by Softdreams
Thanks for answering! Noted.

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69210 by Softdreams
As for the difference between knacks and techniques, was my description of them even remotely accurate? Please take notice I'm solely referring to psychic knacks!

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds