Essence Gathering and Storage Devices

• Softdreams
  • Softdreams's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69419 by Softdreams
Softdreams replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices
I think this is unexplored terrority (I might be terribly wrong) so far in canon. Other planets have been confirmed, but I don't think any Wiz-type mutants have traveled to those.

Now... Other planes, that's explored territory. That's been talked about in the Pejuta's stories, and apparently Mages have a hard time (they do collect it, but at a lower/slower rate) collecting Essence when in the Astral plane. Although, there are these Astral Mages who apparently have an easy time collecting Essence in the Astral. (Valkyrie and Weaver are believed to be examples of this).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69421 by Heckfire
Heckfire replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices

Softdreams wrote: I think this is unexplored terrority (I might be terribly wrong) so far in canon. Other planets have been confirmed, but I don't think any Wiz-type mutants have traveled to those.

...oooo...to boldly go where no other spellslingers have gone before.

I mean, to be fair, my space hitchhiker is only a mage because that's what the dice said: I used an old TRPG I sometimes tap for random character ideas (since it's 95% based on random dice rolls) to make her. Part of the challenge is to find a way to make even the contradictory elements actually work in-story, and a baseline mage who is not only a child but got her spellcasting ability from a "Technical Mishap" is how she ended up. Her getting the Gateway power, a powerful portal ability, opened her up to being more than just a terrestrial pest, hence my questions...

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69426 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices
There is no set in stone response there. BUT what you could use as the basis for an answer is the understanding that Essence is just a word. What mages 'use' to cast spells is energy. In particular, a type of energy that is the embodiment of living things. Some types of spells don't function on that specific variety of energy. Fire spells, for example CAN be made with energy created by life... after all, everything involved in Fire is also present in life. But a different sort of Fire exists in realms/dimensions where Fire IS life and is sentient. THAT sort of Fire energy makes a different sort of fire spell.

So when we talk about 'tainted' Essence... don't get the wrong impression. It's not 'tainted'. It's a different energy signature. And human mages aren't naturally going to absorb it into their Wells and use it. The more 'alien' the place from Earth, the more likely the energy signature is going to be outside the ability of a human mage from Earth to assimilate automatically. BUT... if you can tap energy, you can convert energy. You may not convert it EFFICIENTLY, though. This is why spellcraft often calls upon alien/extraplanar beings. "Hey Joe, I'll trade you a cup of Tamed Essence for a cup of Fire Essence!" Joe collects Fire Essence cheap, at the source, in a pillar of living Flame in the plane of Fire. But out there in Fire? Tamed Essence from a mage on Earth is a LOT more flexible than the local stuff.

After a while, Joe gets tired of answering the phone for Essence bartering, so he sets up an automated system... you invoke this power word and it triggers the exchange system, you pay in neutral Essence, you get back quality Fire Essence. Over millenia, these sorts of systems are built up all over the dimensions. The contracts/invocations get passed from Master to Student, recorded in books of lore, no one even remembers how the system got started. Others offer the same exchanges with better rates. Some have higher quality, some exchange specifically attuned Essence for commonly used spells, and so on. Some only trade with mages with a contract (better exchange rates), others work with anyone that calls on them.

But just because we call them ALL Essence... doesn't mean they're interchangable for the purpose of drawing them in.That's why we say using a lot of necromantic Essence corrupts someone... makes them more like the dead. use enough of that Essence and you might actually attune to it. And being attuned to Essence generated by death... isn't something that is good for being human.

Attuning to alien Essence? Well... there's a reason mythos magick is bad news.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Heckfire, Softdreams

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69438 by Softdreams
Thank you so much for elaborating on that, Kristin! There was definitely a lot of behind the scenes magick info in there.

Leaving aside the primal planes... And focusing on the energies found on the planet Earth. As you explained the energies found on Earth greatly differ from those found on primal planes but aren't the energies/Essence drawn into their Wells "natured" before it becomes "tamed" by their Wells(? So, if these energies were to be redirected into a reliquary/Essence battery before their Wells "tame" the Essence. It's NOT (As you explained) the same as those energies/Essence flavours found in the Primal Planes but they could be used to power more potent "natured/typed" spells?

Wiz-type mutants gather energies/Essence that are freely floating around them so it would make sense that depending on the environment they are in, those Essences would be different (Forests, volcanoes, oceans etc...). Or is that incorrect?

Tamed Essence allows for a varied selection of effects. Let's say a human Mage could work any spell with denatured/tamed Essence but it would work differently than using the specific Essence belonging to that spell's "type". Like, let's say Darqueheart and Natch are both erebeal/Dark mages but while one works with Essence gathered directly from the Erebos (Natch) the other uses "tamed" Essence to power her spells (Darqueheart). This is why I was confused as to why some Mages would go out of their way to trade Essence with Elementals when they could achieve similar effects even if on a lower/less effective power scale.

Kristin Darken wrote: Yes, primal forces/energies are generally equivalent to 'tainted' essence. Primal Fire, for instance can be used directly in the performance of magick where your goal is fire related. Often, part of a given ritual is simply an exchange process. Contact so and so on Ice Planet x and exchange 23 grams of Primal Fire for 25 grams of Raw Essence. Then use the Raw Essence to contact the Knight of Eternal Darkness and offer him 20 grams of Raw Essence in exchange for 30 grams of Primal Shadow. Feed the full 30 grams of Shadow into this "Smoke of Disillusionment" spell. Alternately, you can feed larger amounts of a less efficient garden variety Essence into the spell. But this way you make use of the Primal Fire you picked up with minimal effort during your mission to shut down a volcano last week... and build a reputation with your contacts. And can even come out of it ahead, if you work a good exchange rate. In fact, some wizards can build up their essence supplies purely by operating as neutral exchange dealers who stay out of the politics of those making exchanges in types of essence.

I searched around and come upon this post. To sum up my question(s): Are Wiz-type mutans capable of gathering "natured" Essences from their environment?

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69439 by Softdreams
YIKES, mythos magick :( :(

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69440 by Heckfire
Heckfire replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices

Kristin Darken wrote: There is no set in stone response there. BUT what you could use as the basis for an answer is the understanding that Essence is just a word. What mages 'use' to cast spells is energy. In particular, a type of energy that is the embodiment of living things. Some types of spells don't function on that specific variety of energy. Fire spells, for example CAN be made with energy created by life... after all, everything involved in Fire is also present in life. But a different sort of Fire exists in realms/dimensions where Fire IS life and is sentient. THAT sort of Fire energy makes a different sort of fire spell.

So when we talk about 'tainted' Essence... don't get the wrong impression. It's not 'tainted'. It's a different energy signature. And human mages aren't naturally going to absorb it into their Wells and use it. The more 'alien' the place from Earth, the more likely the energy signature is going to be outside the ability of a human mage from Earth to assimilate automatically. BUT... if you can tap energy, you can convert energy. You may not convert it EFFICIENTLY, though. This is why spellcraft often calls upon alien/extraplanar beings. "Hey Joe, I'll trade you a cup of Tamed Essence for a cup of Fire Essence!" Joe collects Fire Essence cheap, at the source, in a pillar of living Flame in the plane of Fire. But out there in Fire? Tamed Essence from a mage on Earth is a LOT more flexible than the local stuff.

After a while, Joe gets tired of answering the phone for Essence bartering, so he sets up an automated system... you invoke this power word and it triggers the exchange system, you pay in neutral Essence, you get back quality Fire Essence. Over millenia, these sorts of systems are built up all over the dimensions. The contracts/invocations get passed from Master to Student, recorded in books of lore, no one even remembers how the system got started. Others offer the same exchanges with better rates. Some have higher quality, some exchange specifically attuned Essence for commonly used spells, and so on. Some only trade with mages with a contract (better exchange rates), others work with anyone that calls on them.

But just because we call them ALL Essence... doesn't mean they're interchangable for the purpose of drawing them in.That's why we say using a lot of necromantic Essence corrupts someone... makes them more like the dead. use enough of that Essence and you might actually attune to it. And being attuned to Essence generated by death... isn't something that is good for being human.

Attuning to alien Essence? Well... there's a reason mythos magick is bad news.

OK, jotting this down in the notebook...the way the system works seems to imply that my hitchhiker's ability to convert matter into essence is either impossible as-is or would be far too overpowered, like Chaka-level "God of All Ki" levels (which isn't a MAJOR issue since her other abilities and physical attributes are comparatively so weak), so it might be better to just give her a different energy source. I still want to see if I can tinker with it due to the implications of the ability, though...someone who is basically a "universal power adapter" for essence wandering around the Whateley Universe feels like asking for trouble in both good and bad ways for the setting.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69444 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices

Heckfire wrote: someone who is basically a "universal power adapter" for essence wandering around the Whateley Universe feels like asking for trouble in both good and bad ways for the setting.

This is one of the plot-threads in the Okami stories from Gen 2.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Measure Twice

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69472 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices

Heckfire wrote: someone who is basically a "universal power adapter" for essence wandering around the Whateley Universe feels like asking for trouble in both good and bad ways for the setting.

Well, its not going to make it into canon... but there's nothing stopping you from writing it. Also note, even in the WU; not all powers come from mutation. We don't see them as much because the academy is primarily a place for mutants... and most OTHER sorts of power aren't ones that kids typically get (Imbued, Power Gems, etc). Having someone wandering around the universe doesn't HAVE to be a mutant and thus doesn't have to be limited to the mutant power sets. BUT, they won't typically benefit from an education at WA ... and being someone that basically short cuts the process of Essence exchange through ceremony/ritual/research... makes the character very very valuable to Mages of any level of power... especially ones that aren't mutant wizard types with super easy access to fresh Essence all the time. Standby for kidnapping in... oh wait, they didn't wait for me to finish the explanation first. :P

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69478 by Softdreams
*sighs* our beloved mystic-types and their very desperate need for Essence suppliers.

• ShadowedSin
  • Author
  • Author
  • A Fae Storyteller
More
3 months 1 week ago #69494 by ShadowedSin
ShadowedSin replied the topic: Essence Gathering and Storage Devices
By the Stone of Fal, this is gonna get messy when we start seeing more Faerie Magicks. *Cackles*

"I can only conclude that I'm paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate."
-Commander Susan Ivanova, Earth Force, Babylon 5

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds