Devises and Essence

• Softdreams
  • Softdreams's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69420 by Softdreams
Softdreams created the topic: Devises and Essence
Could a devise possibly run on Essence? Or actively gather it, detect it etc...? And I'm not referring exclusively to DEV/WIZ mutants like Nephandus. Just a Devisor that shows an interest for magic but doesn't have any mutant-strength talent for it and uses the devises to gather Essence/find it/anything of the sorts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69421 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Devises and Essence
The Three Little Witches are looking for an Essence Engine in "A Pocketful of Tansy"...

And Fey Tech runs on the stuff, a good enough technomancer likely can do it. And we've possibly seen some, but it's a waste of essence, usually, because the stuff is rare. Better to go with electro-tech because electro is way more common, unless you're out in the woods without solar panels or something.

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69422 by Softdreams
Softdreams replied the topic: Devises and Essence
Technically in my characters' case it wouldn't be a waste of Essence since that Essence isn't coming from them, the devises gather up Essence and/or act as energy convertors (converting certain energy types into Essence) and other things... Such as; detecting places where there's a lot of magical energy, ley lines etc... My character isn't a Wiz-type mutant or technomancer, they're simply a Devisor who is really interested in the Mystic Arts (a rare one), and tries to use devises as a faux-Wizard sort of thing.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69428 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Devises and Essence
Absolutely. Devises can 'literally' work anyway you want them to. Of course, the less 'like' they are to the universe they are in... the more 'power' the devisor has to put into them to make them work (and consequently, the more likely said devise only works for that devisor or breaks down often).

It is technically possible for a GADGET to be powered by Essence (or Psi). Because in the WU, science and tech are not mutually exclusive. Technology using Essence and magickal 'machines' are very advanced concepts needing to be explored and proved properly... so it would take a very specialized or powerful gadgeteer to create them... and a lot of system building to let the rest of the world duplicate the process... but it is possible. But for a devisor, complexity is a no-brainer... and since it isn't even a violation of the universal laws in place, it could even be a fairly stable technology. Still not assembly line possible... it IS a devise, after all... but its not going to be hard to keep it working.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Trantos0_1, Softdreams

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69430 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Devises and Essence
God knows what Roulette is going to build next.

Don't Drick and Drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Softdreams

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69431 by Morpheus
Morpheus replied the topic: Devises and Essence
I know

The waking world is but a dream.

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69432 by Softdreams
Thanks for answering, Kristin! I posted this question before the forum went down for a few hours so it got deleted along with the newer posts. I'll re-ask in this thread since it relates to Devisors.

Are Devisors specializations (generally speaking) preference-based or mutation-based? Are Bio-devisors and Chem-devisors simply preferences or completely different mutations? I guess this question goes for gadgeteers too BUT since there are many Esper talents that could be applied in such a way, there's not one way to be a gadgeeter. Ex: Loophole, Kew, REZ! (PDP who uses her powers through technology, since it's what she understands) and others... Hell, even Zenith could apply her talents to make gadgets.

This question ties back to my warping-based power mimic, if they were to mimic a devisor's abilities, would they also copy such devisor's specialization or just the ability to build devices?

Thanks in advance!

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #69433 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: Devises and Essence
Essence is basically just another energy source, and most things can be powered by different types of energy.
Of course, some thing make more sense/are easier/simpler.

But we have computers running on electricity, water, and gears, just as an example

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Softdreams

More
4 months 1 week ago #69436 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Devises and Essence

Kristin Darken wrote: Because in the WU, science and tech are not mutually exclusive

You know, despite what some flat-earthers and some enemies of pure research may say, science and tech are hardly mutually exclusive in our universe either.:lol:

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, null0trooper

• Softdreams
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
More
4 months 1 week ago #69448 by Softdreams
Does the Devisor rating system determines how well a devise works when not handled by the devisor/how likely it is to break down, or how complex of a devise said mutant can build?

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds