Power Mimics

More
3 weeks 16 hours ago #69578 by Softdreams
Softdreams created the topic: Power Mimics
Hello,

What power(s)/powers combinations could potentially result in a Power Mimic?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 16 hours ago #69579 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Power Mimics

Softdreams wrote: Hello,

What power(s)/powers combinations could potentially result in a Power Mimic?

That might depend on how much you want the character to mimic. Shapeshifters and reality warpers are the usual suspects, but an avatar or a wizard may have ways of copying a variety of powers.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Softdreams

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #69586 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Power Mimics
Anything you can do with magick is likely also possible with tech... so a suitably advanced gadgeteer... or a devisor... could also potentially copy powers. (or more commonly, duplicate the effects of powers in ways that makes it seem like mimickry).

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D, Softdreams

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #69589 by Softdreams
Softdreams replied the topic: Power Mimics
Thanks for answering!

Reality warpers? That's very interesting. I thought reality warping was used as a "catch-all" term to categorize warper effects researchers had yet to understand.

May you point me towards some stories where the topic has been explored in?

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #69590 by Softdreams
Thanks for answering, Kristin!

Could the Power Mimic abilities be the result of Psi powers?

Sphere is a Power Mimic who has successfully permanently duplicated somebody else's powers, how could something like this be achieved?

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #69592 by null0trooper

Softdreams wrote: Reality warpers? That's very interesting. I thought reality warping was used as a "catch-all" term to categorize warper effects researchers had yet to understand.

May you point me towards some stories where the topic has been explored in?

For exploration of what, how, and why, I can only point you to the wiki entries on warping and power mimics. Reverb seems to be one of the more warping-focused mimics, with Duplex on the shifting-focus corner of the phase diagram. Counterpoint has the "once a god" thing going on, while Mimeo is intentionally "one of a kind". Only Mimeo and Sphere have been POV characters.

In other words, there's no simple handbook for "making a power mimic", partly because although the author needs to know how the mimickry and the mimic interacts with every other power, the reader doesn't.

For example, I have a WhatIF character on the back burner who might be classified as WA-4pb;1r(i);1v(i). Basically, the reality warping attempts to copy the overpattern of a power onto himself, fueled by some unknown/exotic energy. Being an odds mangler (4pb) complicates things, but may also ensure that he doesn't pick up a lethal power or power combination.

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Softdreams

More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #69599 by Softdreams
That's very well put-together! I've thought of writing a character inspired by Haruhi Suzumiya, an enthusiastic odds-mangler (brought down several scales of power, that is).

Putting the above idea aside, Murphy is one of the few reality warpers we have seen so far, I'd love to see the versatility that her powers allow.
(I had her mixed up with Fractious).

I imagine Shapeshifting-based Power Mimics might be prone to going into burn-out, would the same apply for Reality Warping-based ones?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by Softdreams.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #69600 by null0trooper

Softdreams wrote: I imagine Shapeshifting-based Power Mimics might be prone to going into burn-out, would the same apply for Reality Warping-based ones?

Shifters like Jimmy T seem to burn massive amounts of calories, so the more common risks might be total cellular starvation (like when Murphy overdoes it) or imprinting on a form and set of powers like Sphere and Tennyo did.

I suspect that, like astral avatars, there might not even be statistics on reality warpers after manifestation or burnout leave them drifting in space, flash-aged to dust, shifted to a different plane or sheath of realities, turned into a bacterium, or at the center of a plasma cloud once the strong nuclear force is negated in their vicinity.

Discussion Thread

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #69601 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Power Mimics
Reality warping... generally isn't.

Reality warping is something that people who didn't really 'get' warping came up with while expanding on the original, especially in scope. Diane added it to her 'new' version of the power traits description... but it was never really something that 'fit' the Whateley Universe power scope or the concept behind Warping. The 'original' definition of Warping was:

These mutants have the ability to warp the 10 dimensions to achieve various effects. While the classic Warper is a teleporter, Warpers can also warp time, make things larger and smaller and so on. Warpers are usually specialize very heavily in a particular effect.

In operation, that last part is supposed to be a key thing... Warpers manipulate dimensional law either for themselves or within a specific location. And typically it is only ONE law (of mathematics/physics/etc). Probability. Spacetime. Density. Entropy. Thermodynamics. They might have a variety of techniques of HOW they manipulate or interact with that law (changing constants or manipulating multipliers in variables, etc)... but it is almost always a single specific law. The idea of "Reality" is not a single dimensional law. And because its not a clearly defined thing it has been used by people as a sort of "I change things from one thing into another" power set without any real specific logic. Transformational or conjurative magic without the need for Essence. And that's NOT what Warping is supposed to be about. And really, that scale of power is high even for Marvel.

I don't think we have to 'retcon' anything in canon to bump reality Warping back off the list... but there are probably a few WhatIF characters that would have to take hope of canonization off the table.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Softdreams

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #69602 by Mylian
Mylian replied the topic: Power Mimics
Yeah, I've got a few warpers cooking up myself, but I've tried hard to avoid using it as a catchall and instead have tried to define very specific and defined ways they warp certain aspects of physics based on what's been seen in canon.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds