Mutants and DNA

More
4 years 8 months ago #4922 by Cryptic
Cryptic created the topic: Mutants and DNA
Something that popped into my head rereading Silver Lining; If you where to give Nikki and a few of the more radically altered students, would they show any genetic link to their parents? Strikes me as a loophole someone might try to exploit.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4950 by lighttech
lighttech replied the topic: Mutants and DNA
I IMO Nikki is not even human anymore at all. She is all Sidhe or Aunghadhail now

Part of the WA Drow clan/ collective
Author of Vantier and Shadowsblade on Bigcloset

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4974 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Mutants and DNA
Since it is documented that manifestation can change one's DNA substantially, then it's a matter of documenting the change itself. In most cases, like Nikki, the change is gradual enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Sometimes it even happens inside an hospital, so there are extensive medical records, such as for Ribbon.

But yeah, when the change happens too fast (Tennyo) or away from the sight of witnesses (Feral, Razorback), it could be a problem to reestablish legal identity, particularly if there's someone trying to fight it.

I guess there's probably a story in that -- kid manifests and the family does not want to recognize him/her, and DNA has changed enough that paternity tests are useless. Kid is left in a legal limbo. Legal battle ensues, possibly with inheritance developments. Someone with quite a lot of clout would be needed to protect the new mutant, otherwise the story would end by page 2 with the MCO "disappearing" the kid.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4975 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Mutants and DNA

Sir Lee wrote: Since it is documented that manifestation can change one's DNA substantially, then it's a matter of documenting the change itself. In most cases, like Nikki, the change is gradual enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Sometimes it even happens inside an hospital, so there are extensive medical records, such as for Ribbon.

But yeah, when the change happens too fast (Tennyo) or away from the sight of witnesses (Feral, Razorback), it could be a problem to reestablish legal identity, particularly if there's someone trying to fight it.

I guess there's probably a story in that -- kid manifests and the family does not want to recognize him/her, and DNA has changed enough that paternity tests are useless. Kid is left in a legal limbo. Legal battle ensues, possibly with inheritance developments. Someone with quite a lot of clout would be needed to protect the new mutant, otherwise the story would end by page 2 with the MCO "disappearing" the kid.


Divorced parents arguing over whether the kid is really theirs.

Don't Drick and Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4978 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Mutants and DNA
Divorced parents blaming the other for having the kid, refusing to pay alimony support.

What is - was. What was - is.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4979 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: Mutants and DNA
That's kind of what happened to the Loose Cannons, although with extra complications and no chance to get close enough to do DNA testing.

Whateley has a lot of practice establishing new identities for their students though. Unless the student had a pressing need to have access to their old life (a trust fund like Vamp's, for example), I'm guessing that they'd just get set up with a new identity and move on.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4980 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: Mutants and DNA

Sir Lee wrote: Since it is documented that manifestation can change one's DNA substantially, then it's a matter of documenting the change itself. In most cases, like Nikki, the change is gradual enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Sometimes it even happens inside an hospital, so there are extensive medical records, such as for Ribbon.

But yeah, when the change happens too fast (Tennyo) or away from the sight of witnesses (Feral, Razorback), it could be a problem to reestablish legal identity, particularly if there's someone trying to fight it.

I guess there's probably a story in that -- kid manifests and the family does not want to recognize him/her, and DNA has changed enough that paternity tests are useless. Kid is left in a legal limbo. Legal battle ensues, possibly with inheritance developments. Someone with quite a lot of clout would be needed to protect the new mutant, otherwise the story would end by page 2 with the MCO "disappearing" the kid.


This is actually an important aspect of the background for Kota, the character I made for Dom's Fate Sucks story. Mind, in her case her DNA may actually be similar enough to still prove parentage, but it's kind of a moot point considering her family completely rejected her existence as a person before abusing her in one of the worst ways imaginable. And she refuses to have anything to do with them now, so she's kind of stuck in a limbo state with no legal identity after she ran away from them.

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4988 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Mutants and DNA

Arcanist Lupus wrote: That's kind of what happened to the Loose Cannons, although with extra complications and no chance to get close enough to do DNA testing.

Whateley has a lot of practice establishing new identities for their students though. Unless the student had a pressing need to have access to their old life (a trust fund like Vamp's, for example), I'm guessing that they'd just get set up with a new identity and move on.


IIRC Vamp's trust fund was set up in a false ID after her change. The problem was proving that Alex was whatever name was being used.

Don't Drick and Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #4995 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: Mutants and DNA

Valentine wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote: That's kind of what happened to the Loose Cannons, although with extra complications and no chance to get close enough to do DNA testing.

Whateley has a lot of practice establishing new identities for their students though. Unless the student had a pressing need to have access to their old life (a trust fund like Vamp's, for example), I'm guessing that they'd just get set up with a new identity and move on.


IIRC Vamp's trust fund was set up in a false ID after her change. The problem was proving that Alex was whatever name was being used.

True. My point was that setting up a new identity is pretty easy with Whateley's resources - it's only when you need to be linked to your old ID that you run into problems.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum