Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

More
4 years 9 months ago #6728 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

Valentine wrote: I'm waiting for the map of the tunnels. :whistle:

It looks very good.

Trust me, you don't want to do that. A map of the tunnels would be far more trouble than it's worth, believe me. :dry: :unsure:

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #6729 by venum4k
venum4k replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
And here's the first floor

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #6730 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

venum4k wrote: So I thought I'd do a small progress post. I started working on the ground floor of Poe cottage last night. It's quite weird actually constructing something like this as my mental image of Poe is quite different from the actual layout... Anyway, time to start making a rough first floor (second floor to you Americans :P).

Ahh... it's not surprising that your mental image of Poe is different from that layout, because as far as published stories go, that layout does not exist yet. The "current" Poe (pre-Summer 2007) is quite a bit smaller, is a single block (corresponding roughly to the bar of the "H" in the New Poe) and it doesn't have many of the amenities of the New Poe.

As for mapping the tunnels, at this moment I don't see much point to it. The Devisor Labs part of it is canonically a rabbit warren sort of thing, with all sorts of weird offshoots and parts that aren't even in the school's official maps

There might be SOME point to mapping the main tunnels -- the ones that link the buildings -- and some major features, such as exactly where are Arena '77, Arena '99, the hatch above Tiny Tim (where it was raised to the surface in Halloween) and the vehicle access to the Gearheads' garage (where they get their cars in, and where Ergonomic's BOLO went out). But those will have to wait until the two TINCCs decide to make an Official Campus Map.

As for the Devisor Labs themselves, I favor showing them in some undefined form -- sorta like that "cloud" graphic we IT people draw on diagrams to represent the Internet when explaining some network concepts to laypeople. Well, maybe a mess of spaghetti instead of a cloud... but you get the idea.

Also: when the time comes for applying textures, I believe that the exterior walls of Poe (and, in fact, most cottages -- Melville, being a modern-styled building, is the major exception -- and some of the campus buildings) are brick-clad. In Fall Term 2007 those walls will be pretty new and still ivy-free... well, unless some nature mage decides to help the ivy grow super-fast, so Poe might look suitably ivy-clad in a short time. But by 2nd Gen time that ivy covering will be a near certainty.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Sir Lee.

More
4 years 9 months ago #6731 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

NeoMagus wrote:

Valentine wrote: I'm waiting for the map of the tunnels. :whistle:

It looks very good.

Trust me, you don't want to do that. A map of the tunnels would be far more trouble than it's worth, believe me. :dry: :unsure:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the tunnels are non-Euclidean

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

• E. E. Nalley
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
4 years 9 months ago #6732 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
Here you go. The main and primary supplemental tunnel map. Main tunnels in blue.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

More
4 years 9 months ago #6734 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

venum4k wrote: That's a good point... a tunnel map would be great

Actively discouraged on campus. Legend is that a campus tunnel map, when drawn out, would be a summoning circle for something really hyper-horrible and nasty and powerful :ohmy:

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

More
4 years 9 months ago #6735 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

E. E. Nalley wrote: Here you go. The main and primary supplemental tunnel map. Main tunnels in blue.

Better viewed with either quaaludes or acid.

What is - was. What was - is.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #6741 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

elrodw wrote:

venum4k wrote: That's a good point... a tunnel map would be great

Actively discouraged on campus. Legend is that a campus tunnel map, when drawn out, would be a summoning circle for something really hyper-horrible and nasty and powerful :ohmy:

Well dang, I was trying to keep that bit quiet, Elrod. If I'd known it was meant to be common knowledge I'd have been glad to reveal that part of it. ;) :whistle: B)

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by NeoMagus.

More
4 years 9 months ago #6790 by venum4k
venum4k replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
Alright so I've got the floorplan of the attic more or less down, you can't see it in the image but the top surface is where the attic floor level would be. I'm going by the scale of the stairwell in terms of the width of the building at each level.

Also would something like this be a good reference for the roof shape?

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #6791 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

Ib12us wrote:

E. E. Nalley wrote: Here you go. The main and primary supplemental tunnel map. Main tunnels in blue.

Better viewed with either quaaludes or acid.

That's Jackson Pollock's "Blue Poles" and we Australians own it and you can't have it back.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds