Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D

More
4 years 10 months ago #7244 by Nagrij
Nagrij replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
....nice.

www.patreon.com/Nagrij

If you like my writing, please consider helping me out, and see the rest of the tales I spin on Patreon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #7246 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
What rendering program are you using?

Just out of curiosity does it make 3D model files that can be used in other programs, or does it all need to be created and rendered in the one program?

More
4 years 10 months ago #7250 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
to make the architectural layouts in the first place, I used FloorPlan, which uses proprietary formats and thus the 3-D models are not exportable. It has its own render engine and it allows you a LITTLE flexibility with lights and it has a decent (but proprietary-formatted) library of textures. In short, it's good for cheap and dirty floor plan layouts.

If I weren't so busy writing stories, I would use Blender to do any 3-D layouts because it's free, and while the learning curve is a bit steep in places, it's damned good and well-supported, and it uses standard modeling formats. But that's me.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

More
4 years 10 months ago #7252 by venum4k
venum4k replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
I've been using autodesk Maya for the modelling/rendering mostly cause I have the most experience in it. I can export files into things like .fbx and .obj

More
4 years 10 months ago #7253 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
Thanks for that :)

All I know about 3D is its hard, I was just curious what people where using was all.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #7350 by venum4k
Alright, I have more questions about the layout.
What shape are the stairs in each corner of Poe? I've tested it with the main staircase shape but on certain levels it doesn't line up to the doors so I'm guessing some kind of quarter landing type stairs with maybe half landings at each floor?

Also, what kind of windows does Poe Cottage have?

edit:
I've also noticed that one of the wing advisor rooms has an en-suite bathroom thing on the plan, is this how all of the advisor rooms are supposed to be?
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by venum4k.

More
4 years 10 months ago #7363 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Whateley Academy Layout/Map 3D
On the first one: probably.

On the second one: Yes, it is omitted from the other Wing Advisor rooms to make the drawings less cluttered (and because we are lazy).

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
4 years 10 months ago #7368 by elrodw
Staircases in the corners have 2 flights between floors, with a rectangular landing at the door and at the outer wall.

the drawings get very unwieldy and slow when one puts in too much furniture and fixtures. You'll see the same thing on the penthouse floors in Melville - I did only one of them completely.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #7371 by venum4k
And what kind of windows does it have?
edit: Progress update!
Apologies for the yellow, blame the spoilers >:[
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by venum4k.

More
4 years 10 months ago #7375 by elrodw
approximately 4' wide, 5' high, double-hung divided light window. I'd think each sash would be divided in two vertically and in 4 horizontally, giving the effect of 15" high by 12" wide individual panes in two sashes in the entire window. Does that make sense?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds