Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #8828 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
Subliminal messages are a 'real thing' since the, I don't know, '40's? '50's?

The delivery mechanism isn't anything great, it's the knowledge of what frequencies and audio levels and how 'complicated' the message can be.

I know there was an experiment where they put single frames repeatedly into a movie with the words 'eat popcorn' and there was a mesurable increase in popcorn sales.

Soo....
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #8835 by rubberjohn
rubberjohn replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
And that was instrumental in the banning of subliminal advertising!

I even remember that subliminal images were an important plot point in one of the Columbo episodes.

John.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by rubberjohn.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8838 by lighttech
lighttech replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?

Phoenix Spiritus wrote: Subliminal messages are a 'real thing' since the, I don't know, '40's? '50's?

The delivery mechanism isn't anything great, it's the knowledge of what frequencies and audio levels and how 'complicated' the message can be.

I know there was an experiment where they put single frames repeatedly into a movie with the words 'eat popcorn' and there was a mesurable increase in popcorn sales.

Soo....

I remember as a class projectionist for the film history course--- I would from time to time get original unedited prints from the 30's and 40's that still had theses ads intact --expl one was in the starting credits for Campbell's soup!

Part of the WA Drow clan/ collective
Author of Vantier and Shadowsblade on Bigcloset

More
4 years 8 months ago #8841 by Bek D Corbin
Bek D Corbin replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
According to Wikipedia, 'Subliminal Stimulus' is only really good for nudging people into doing what they were going to do anyway. The Popcorn Experiment is flawed because, well, you're at a movie theater, you eat popcorn at a movie theater, you're at the snack counter- why not? What it doesn't do is spur you to do things that you wouldn't do, just as Hypnosis, despite the Hollywood booga-booga, can't make you do anything you don't want to do or are actively resistant to doing. There's a reason it's called the Power of Suggestion. As in 'Suggest'- not 'Order' or 'Compel'.

So, if used unscrupulously, you might get a bump in your votes from the undecided sector, or from those who normally don't bother to vote.

BUT, there's a problem there: you see, one of the reasons why subliminal advertising isn't used - besides the fact that it's illegal- is the fact that there's a backlash factor. If you don't want to do whatever the subliminal suggestion is telling you to do, you resent it, if only subconsciously. Do you remember those 'Do Not Steal' suggestions that department stores were supposedly using back in the 1970s? Well, from what I heard, the department stores that tried this did show a drop in 'shrinkage' (retail jargon for 'Shoplifting'), but there was shrinkage of another sort: there was also a noticeable drop in sales and even casual customer visits. People were put off by being 'nagged at', and they took their business elsewhere.

BTW, that last bit is completely hearsay, something that I heard over a gaming table. Take it with a grain of salt.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8857 by Dawnfyre
Dawnfyre replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
and, technically speaking, subliminal advertising / messaging via television would not work well before digital broadcasting./ HDTV

the very low pixel count of older televisions and the fairly slow scan rate of the CRT used in them made using a .25 second image to subliminally affect people wasn't effective, the image was clearly visible consciously. HDTV and digital now make the short display times needed possible( .01 second). ( still illegal )

it's also kind of like the foil helmets to stop radio waves from impacting you and reprogramming you.
( study done at MIT by undergraduate showed that these helmets actually increased the strength of radio waves, on frequencies reserved for the US Government. )

Stupidity is a capitol offense, a summary not indictable one.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8861 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?

Dawnfyre wrote: it's also kind of like the foil helmets to stop radio waves from impacting you and reprogramming you.
( study done at MIT by undergraduate showed that these helmets actually increased the strength of radio waves, on frequencies reserved for the US Government. )

Of course they do... its obvious none of these conspiracy types ever watched television in the days of rabbit ears. Aluminum foil was worth its weight in gold on the night of the big season finale or the playoff game.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8863 by Dawnfyre
Dawnfyre replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
watch television? with all that subliminal message brain washing in it? :woohoo:

Stupidity is a capitol offense, a summary not indictable one.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8870 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?

Kristin Darken wrote:

Dawnfyre wrote: it's also kind of like the foil helmets to stop radio waves from impacting you and reprogramming you.

Of course they do... its obvious none of these conspiracy types ever watched television in the days of rabbit ears. Aluminum foil was worth its weight in gold on the night of the big season finale or the playoff game.

Aluminium foil wasn't that popular around where I was, it was always pried open metal coat hangers.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8883 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
Steel wool. The best thing.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
4 years 8 months ago #8911 by Jarjaross
Jarjaross replied the topic: Is Subliminal Messaging possible via Gadgets?
Who needs gadgets, to try to get people to be more awake while listening to your radio station all you need is higher tempo music. No really, it doesn't even need to be super fast, or loud, or happy music can change your mood subtly and playing more active music can wake you up.

My dreams take me to far off lands and times of distant past and future. They tell what has been done, what will happen and who I am. They show me things beyond the machinations of any man. Tell me, what are dreams to you?

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds