× Float your latest theory on who is going to be this school year's big bad, piece together plot points to unravel one of the big mysteries, or guess what's coming up next in your favorite stories.

Anything is fair game... just don't complain when someone with more Whateley-verse savvy shoots your theory out of the sky.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create threads or post to existing ones.

Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 1 week ago #68230 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight

Sir Lee wrote:

null0trooper wrote: When did flying (presumably on a green flag day) start requiring successful completion of a private pilot exam?

Uh, not quite "successful completion of a private pilot exam", but enrolling in Flight class? I think since an early Tennyo story.

The one both Martina and Todd were already enrolled in, or one of the ones Lancer, Stronghold, Loophole, and Dragonrider never mentioned taking?

For Tennyo, it was recommended, not required ("Another Day, We Were Going Where?"):

“One more thing before you go.” I settled back into my seat and waited for what he was going to say.
“Your schedule won’t permit you to take the regular Flight classes but it would be a good idea for you to take it.”
“There's a class for flying?”
“Yes Billie. Some of our students don’t seem to catch on as quickly as you have and a little training goes a long way to help prevent accidents. There is also the fact that most fliers can do even better with the right training and experience.”

and

“You people aren’t the only ones up there. We feel that it will be much safer for all of us if you know what everyone else should be doing up there at any given time and make it clear to you that you are expected to follow at least some of those rules yourselves.”

"Those rules" would be FAA rules. I could see an issue with leaving the school's airspace, which Tennyo and Loophole both got chewed out for, but this wasn't that.

I can see advisors recommending or telling their students to take the class, but this doesn't fit so well.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #68232 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight
In the Eastern US, the high population density compared to Western US results in a lot more controlled airspaces around airports, military bases, etc (less Class G, formerly known as 'unrestricted'). There is a ceiling on how high you can fly before you touch a more 'controlled' airspace. It's been a while since I've studied a sectional map (let alone the Montreal or NY sectionals, which cover NH), so I'm not sure exactly what class is where, but given the rules on VFR flight, minimum visibility and clearances, and potential nearby more-restricted airspaces, it is entirely reasonable that some aspects of flight school are essential, even above Whateley's grounds.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 1 week ago #68233 by null0trooper

elrodw wrote: It is entirely reasonable that some aspects of flight school are essential, even above Whateley's grounds.

My point was that prior to this point, students weren't getting hauled in to Security for flying without having a pilot's license. Now, for some reason, they are. It's not like the flight classes stopped being among the most popular classes on campus.

Discussion Thread

More
4 months 1 week ago #68238 by mhalpern
mhalpern replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight

null0trooper wrote:

elrodw wrote: It is entirely reasonable that some aspects of flight school are essential, even above Whateley's grounds.

My point was that prior to this point, students weren't getting hauled in to Security for flying without having a pilot's license. Now, for some reason, they are. It's not like the flight classes stopped being among the most popular classes on campus.

Yes but there could have easily been an "incident" the previous school year we dont know about, or an incident we DO know about but didn't see this implication for it, for instance just 10 months prior to the events of this chapter there was a lot of aircraft that were destroyed in Whateley airspace, as well as many independent fliers whom were killed, this is probably a quick way to get the airspace restrictions in the area upgraded.

Any Bad Ideas I have and microscene OC character stories are freely adoptable.

More
4 months 1 week ago #68239 by Hebblejebble
Hebblejebble replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight
It also seems quite possible that technically Whateley's rules regarding student flight are broader than they usually bother to enforce. I could see it being the case that security quietly ignores most fliers as 'not worth the effort of catching' but Knockoff was flying (a) at night, (b) near the edges of school grounds and (c) well above the tree line.

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #68240 by DanZilla
DanZilla replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight

null0trooper wrote:

They don't have to have a license... they just need to a pass basic FAA private pilot exam and skill exam.

Not much different from the firearms restrictions on campus as well.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by DanZilla.

More
4 months 1 week ago #68241 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight

DanZilla wrote:

null0trooper wrote:

They don't have to have a license... they just need to a pass basic FAA private pilot exam and skill exam.

Not much different from the firearms restrictions on campus as well.

The private pilot exam is about airspace restrictions, procedures, rules, regulations, and so forth. If you're flying using your TK Superman power near an airport, it's really helpful to know what to do so you don't get sucked into the engine of a 767 taking off because you were flying in the wrong place. (The engine of any large jet would tend to ruin your day!) Same for flying in restricted military airspace - a SAM or an AMRAAM or Sidewinder can really put a dent in your plans.

Skill using mutant powers to fly is a Whateley taught thing - or some other mutant group. (Example - the FAA doesn't make a mutant do a walkaround inspection of themselves prior to takeoff!)

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 1 week ago #68242 by null0trooper

Hebblejebble wrote: It also seems quite possible that technically Whateley's rules regarding student flight are broader than they usually bother to enforce. I could see it being the case that security quietly ignores most fliers as 'not worth the effort of catching' but Knockoff was flying (a) at night, (b) near the edges of school grounds and (c) well above the tree line.

It is possible, that's why I was asking what event kick-started a requirement that has never been imposed or even mentioned before.

elrodw wrote: The private pilot exam is about airspace restrictions, procedures, rules, regulations, and so forth. If you're flying using your TK Superman power near an airport, it's really helpful to know what to do so you don't get sucked into the engine of a 767 taking off because you were flying in the wrong place.

Knockoff wasn't flying anywhere near an airport. But if you did have a 767 barelling through the Presidential and Dartmouth Ranges at Cherubs 1, or an ATC drinking enough to think he's picking up a small organic object on his radar between mountains, one flier at risk isn't the only major problem.

Discussion Thread

More
4 months 1 week ago #68250 by Court
Court replied the topic: Knockoff 2 Fight or Flight
One thing I don't understand in the story is the behavior of the Secret Squirrels. They were actually behaving reasonably. However, the education that Imp gave them has not yet happened. Imp 5 took place from September 28 through October 6, 2007, which is a month after the events in Knockoff 2 part 2. If they were being reasonable here, why weren't they reasonable in dealing with Imp?

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 1 week ago #68251 by null0trooper

Court wrote: One thing I don't understand in the story is the behavior of the Secret Squirrels. They were actually behaving reasonably.

Maybe because Sir Wallace was watching?

Discussion Thread

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds