× Feel free to use this section to discuss your favorite (or least liked) characters. Let's keep it to one thread per character though, if possible.

Jobe

More
2 years 11 months ago #43500 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Jobe

elrodw wrote:
A minor point of clarification ... Knockoff has a set of identifying paperwork - the best her very-well-paid mother Setup could afford, and given some of Setup's connections in various intelligence agencies, it's hard telling exactly what her country and city of birth are listed in the Whateley paperwork.

And no doubts Whateley has already figured out her true name and other minor such details.

I'd forgotten that a US TLA had taken care of new ID's for them.

Several of those people showed up with at least an MID, Sphere, Ribbon, and Noms. Whateley has Jade's birth ID, but Jade had no Jade Sinclair ID, and no one to vouch for her identity.

Schol-R-LEA wrote: I agree that there's got to be a streamlined process for this in place, sure. But that means something that takes weeks instead of years. True, we generally don't see all of that, but this is because, a) most of this is done over time, with only the initial decision to initiate the process being shown, and b) it often involves creating a new identity ab novo anyway, and that's actually easier (if technically less legal) than changing an existing one.

I expect that once it was clear that Jobe might be heading that way, the legal department started the process in case it needed to be handled, to ensure that it went as smoothly as possible (and as quietly as possible, given the significance and sensitivity of this for the Karedonian government). Carson and/or Hartford probably notified them to do so once they heard about it, as it would be prudent to be ready for several contingencies given the uncertainties involved and the lead time available.

What legal department? Amelia called Joe, explained, and Joe said OK. Jobe is now a girl. A memo sent to the records department to change documents, end of story, and sending a new Passport. A Passport for 'Phoebe too.

As for other students, since Whateley is on Tribal lands, everything would be done through them, and there is probably a stack of signed, stamped, and sealed documents just waiting to have some names and dates entered.

Don't Drick and Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #43501 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: Jobe
OK, fair point about Jobe. It's good to be the king, etc.

While I think your also mostly right about the Donners having a lot of this lined up ahead of time with things ready to be completed and signed, I expect that there are still a number of details left unstated in the stories as unnecessary clutter. Things like the whole business of getting the government that issued their birth certificates to change and reissue them - which generally has to be done in that jurisdiction in most cases, and depending on the locale, could involve anything from a notarized affidavit from a doctor, to a civil appeal made before a judge, up to even a personal meeting with the head of state.

(No kidding; it is my understanding that in, for example, the Netherlands, changing your name for any reason other than for a woman who is getting married requires - or did at one time - an audience with the King (or Queen, at the time I heard about it) as does changing your legal gender, though it is pretty much just a formality AFAIK. I seem to recall that for a marriage, a woman would have to do the same in order to not change her name, but I don't know if this is correct or not - anyone here know about Dutch law in this instance? I understand that at least some other nations - especially older constitutional monarchies, I think including Denmark, perhaps? - have or had similar rules.

Bizarrely, because of their position that transsexuality is congenital but homosexuality isn't, Iran of all places has one of the fastest processes - they want people to get surgically and legally transitioned at once, to avoid any hint of anything so decadent and sinful as homosexuality going on in their country. Given that the punishment for homosexuality can be death (depending on several factors, supposedly, though I have no idea what those would be), while at the same time the government pays for SRS with few questions, this had led to a lot of cis-gendered homosexuals getting SRS in order to avoid execution, apparently. Even without considering all the complexities involved, this is simply cringe-worthy to me. :-(

A lot of aspects of it can't be done from the Medawihla jurisdiction, at least not in a way that will stick legally elsewhere, without at least some extra-legal activity. And that's just for cases in the US; international cases, even for countries where a monarch's involvement isn't required, would be next to impossible without a lot of greasing of wheels (and/or palms).

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
2 years 11 months ago #43781 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: Jobe
I think we should be glad Jobe has the ethics she does, else sh could be as bad as Johann Konrad Dippel from The President's vampire series. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Oath_(Farnsworth_novel)

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

More
2 years 10 months ago #46916 by JohnBobMead
JohnBobMead replied the topic: Jobe
I guess this would be where to post this. Not too sure, haven't visited the forums since 2013, back at the old site. Jobe Watch. Since I just reset Windows 10 a few weeks ago, I had to reinstall lots of software, including getting a new comic book viewer. How else to test it than to pull up my zip file of Drunkfu's Jobe Watch? I haven't read _anything_ Whateley since Silver Linings 2 came out, so it wasn't fresh in my mind; I posted as kd7mvs back then. Jobe Watch is _just_ as hilarious as ever. Hmm. Given that a search of the site came up with no mention of Jobe Watch, y'all may not be familiar with it. Drunkfu made a comic strip focusing on Jobe's transformation to Jobette, and afterwards; it went off canon _very_ fast, while still remaining true to the Whateley essence. Total of 69 four panel issues. I think he has it on his DeviantArt page, so it should still be accessible, if not, as I said, I have all of it as a zip file. Very worth reading. At one point Gunny is drinking from a cup which says "#1 Dad", the Grunts ask about it, there's a flashback to Eldritch giving him the mug with the two of them being verbally abusive of each other, Gunny smiles, and says it's a gift from his loving daughter. Now, they don't know Eldritch has the cover identity of being Gunny's daughter, so they _all_ have this mental image of this enormous overmuscled tank of a black woman in a DI's uniform, and the expressions on their faces are priceless. And Bunny operating a car wash staffed by naked elves; Jobe and Belphebe. Of course, it's _dark_ in the car wash, so you can't see anything. Ayla gets a car _just_ to drive it through the car wash. Has night vision goggles. Doesn't help much. Sara is in the car with him, _her_ vision works just fine. Prior to the car wash being introduced, we have a sequence where Ms. Hartford's car is being absolutely buried in pigeon droppings, she has no idea why its happening, and we cut to Eldritch with cages of military trained pigeons, slipping them laxatives prior to sending them off toward Ms. Hartford's car. Like I said, goes off canon quickly, but stays true to the spirit.

Anyway, couldn't think of anyplace else to post about rereading Jobe Watch where they'd understand. And since this was the current Jobe discussion thread, there you go.

More
2 years 10 months ago #46922 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Jobe
Yeah, it is hilarious. Despite not being actually canon, there's a link in Drunkfu's page at the Wiki.

Or, for the ones who don't want to go to all the trouble of visiting the wiki or searching for stuff, here it is: Jobe Watch .

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #68491 by Greatdingo
Greatdingo replied the topic: Jobe
Thread-necro is necromancy!

But I had a question, which I did pose on the discord channel. But it wasn't answered. Which is fine, I'll just post it here as well.

If the mutant-gene is, in fact, in the genes, and that accounts for the full spectrum of mutations...

If Drobe had all her Jobe-genes chomped by Carmilla, why is Drobe still a devisor then?

Is there some other, more key element of it that isn't known, or...?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #68493 by Bek D Corbin
Bek D Corbin replied the topic: Jobe
Whelp, Greatdoggo, the Devisor-complex of neural passages was still intact in her brain, which was why she was still Jobe under all the babeage, and not a tabula ralsa piece of sweetmeat. If/when she has children, they will be Drow, but not have the Devisor gene.

For which blessings, the rest of the world is devoutly grateful
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Greatdingo

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #68495 by Greatdingo
Greatdingo replied the topic: Jobe
An excellent and quite believable explanation. Thank you :)

My own idea was that it had something to do with devisors pretty much being a form of reality-warpers. But yours is much better :D

More
3 months 19 hours ago #68619 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: Jobe
If No, make that when Jobe has children does that mean that they will all be female? Or will (s)he have started a new race... And what about the drow that may exist in the Aether waiting for the proper moment to respawn when a mutant with the proper power set and maybe heritage appears!?
Something tells me that Fey's displeasure will seem like a gentle scolding to what might happen then... Will the world survive it!?

More
3 months 18 hours ago #68620 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Jobe
My understanding is that there is no drow "waiting in the aether", at least not ones similar to Jobe's version, which is based on D&D. There are supposed to be trow in the Whateley Universe, however, and not just pre-Sundering -- Nephandus' mom has a significant percentage of trow blood. I don't think the WU trow have coal-black skins; at least, the Troll Bride is light-skinned enough to feel comfortable in WWII Germany. One would think that if trow were as dark as Jobe thinks they are, she would look at least... Mediterranean?

Also, I don't think Jobe would have made his Drow bride to have only female offspring; after all, he would want a male heir himself. And since turning female, Jobette has considered creating male Drow, but she has to first work around the "sexual imprinting" she included in the Drow genome.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds