× Feel free to use this section to discuss your favorite (or least liked) characters. Let's keep it to one thread per character though, if possible.

Aquerna

More
3 years 5 months ago #28948 by Echo
Echo created the topic: Aquerna
Aquerna has a problem with her toenails ripping through her footwear. I'm wondering if anyone has ever thought of suggesting to her that she should look into steel toe shoes (or boots)? I know they're often ugly as sin but they should help with her toe-out problems or at least last longer than regular footwear.

I also wonder if anyone at Whateley has ever tried taking safety shoes/boots into martial arts class or combat finals? Steel soles, toes and heels/ankles and optional electrical or other insulation should make for an interesting surprise. Klompen (dutch clogs) are too obvious but might be useful in demonstrations.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #28951 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Aquerna
I think that the main problem with steel-toed boots is that the steel is usually on the outside. Her nails would eat the leather from the inside out, opening a hole beneath the steel plate, which might not be visible but would negate a number of benefits of wearing shoes in the first place -- such as protecting your feet from cold and moisture.
Besides, she now has those nifty magic Snakey-hide boots which are way better, and stylish to boot (heh, unintentional pun). She might try wearing peep-toe shoes and sandals, worn with open toe stockings, when the weather is warm enough.

Re steel-toe boots for martial classes... I think that those sound right up Caitlin's alley. She is the kind of girl who would wear combat boots on a daily basis. Although they might be a tad too confining for parkour. Now, come to think of it, Zenith is rather tomboyish too, she might go for the boots.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #28957 by Echo
Echo replied the topic: Aquerna

Sir Lee wrote: I think that the main problem with steel-toed boots is that the steel is usually on the outside. Her nails would eat the leather from the inside out, opening a hole beneath the steel plate, which might not be visible but would negate a number of benefits of wearing shoes in the first place -- such as protecting your feet from cold and moisture.
Besides, she now has those nifty magic Snakey-hide boots which are way better, and stylish to boot (heh, unintentional pun). She might try wearing peep-toe shoes and sandals, worn with open toe stockings, when the weather is warm enough.

Re steel-toe boots for martial classes... I think that those sound right up Caitlin's alley. She is the kind of girl who would wear combat boots on a daily basis. Although they might be a tad too confining for parkour. Now, come to think of it, Zenith is rather tomboyish too, she might go for the boots.


I'm not talking about army boots here, but safety shoes/boots that get worn in industrial settings. Some of them are built with steel soles and toecaps and they're what you could wear while tromping around with lots of sharps on the floor. Many have a leather outer (and probably also an inner) shell covering the steel. Come think of it, Hazmat should know about them.

Yes, Aquerna getting her snakeskin boots does make this somewhat irrelevant, but that would still leave her with only one set of good shoes :)
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Echo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #28959 by DanZilla
DanZilla replied the topic: Aquerna

Echo wrote: I also wonder if anyone at Whateley has ever tried taking safety shoes/boots into martial arts class or combat finals? Steel soles, toes and heels/ankles and optional electrical or other insulation should make for an interesting surprise. Klompen (dutch clogs) are too obvious but might be useful in demonstrations.

Sir Lee wrote: Re steel-toe boots for martial classes... I think that those sound right up Caitlin's alley. She is the kind of girl who would wear combat boots on a daily basis. Although they might be a tad too confining for parkour. Now, come to think of it, Zenith is rather tomboyish too, she might go for the boots.


Unless the boots, or other footwear, is required for student of school safety then it depends on what day of class, or type of class, is being attended. As has been shown, the standard-issue Gi is required for most classes and that is worn with bare feet in those instances. With street clothes or costumes the boots would be appropriate... other times, not.

The black woman fired off, “I am Amanda Tolman. Everyone who wishes to remain in this class will purchase a gi for practice. Unless otherwise notified, you will change into your gi before class. When the bell rings, you will begin in seiza position, lined up, as you see the more experienced students here. We will practice in a variety of situations, including street clothes, costumes, and real-life situations. However, most classes will be taught here, and you will be wearing gis. Any questions so far?”



Now, unless the boots were made with special "sheaths" for her toenails/claws then they would still tear-up the lining of even most specially-made steel-toed boots which leads to Sir Lee's statement that it would ruin the effectiveness of the boots overall. They may still "look" fine but would be losing structural integrity and weather-resistance. For instance... if it's 2-degrees (F) outside you don't want to be walking around with a steel plate touching the top of your toes/feet.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #28967 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: Aquerna
Or she could grow some self confidence and wear open toes shoes, or... Mmm, there's some X-man comic or fan fiction that had a discussion regarding a mutant with a mutation a lot like Beast's wearing shoes. Can't remember where I saw it off hand. Might have been a Twisting the Hellmouth fic.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #28973 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Aquerna

Cryptic wrote: Or she could grow some self confidence and wear open toes shoes, or... Mmm, there's some X-man comic or fan fiction that had a discussion regarding a mutant with a mutation a lot like Beast's wearing shoes. Can't remember where I saw it off hand. Might have been a Twisting the Hellmouth fic.


Tough wearing open toed shoes in the snow. (I know I do it.)

Given the strength of her nails, without proper filing she's going to cut through steel toed boots.


BTW

Ayla and the New School wrote: Then it was off to the Eastman Annex of Laird Hall, for what I was sure was going to be the class I was most anxious to transfer out of, even after enduring Powers Theory. Basic Martial Arts.

I walked in, and found that most of the class seemed to know what to do. That seemed like a bad omen for me. People had taken their shoes off and piled them by the door, then crowded to the edge of the mat. I shucked my shoes and followed. I could tell at once who knew anything about this kind of class.


Don't Drick and Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #28977 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: Aquerna

Valentine wrote:

Cryptic wrote: Or she could grow some self confidence and wear open toes shoes, or... Mmm, there's some X-man comic or fan fiction that had a discussion regarding a mutant with a mutation a lot like Beast's wearing shoes. Can't remember where I saw it off hand. Might have been a Twisting the Hellmouth fic.


Tough wearing open toed shoes in the snow. (I know I do it.)


Point.

Hmm... New Mobius project?

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #29051 by NJM1564
NJM1564 replied the topic: Aquerna

Sir Lee wrote: Re steel-toe boots for martial classes... I think that those sound right up Caitlin's alley.


But would boots be allowed on the mats?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #29069 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: Aquerna

NJM1564 wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: Re steel-toe boots for martial classes... I think that those sound right up Caitlin's alley.


But would boots be allowed on the mats?


But Sensie,they are part of my protective gear. I would be holding back least I hurt myself, but with the boots I can kick at full strength Besides, you say use everything; ho can we learn to use everything if we are limited in what we can use?

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Astrodragon
  • Astrodragon's Avatar
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #29081 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: Aquerna
They allow students with claws, why would boots be a problem?

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum