× Feel free to use this section to discuss your favorite (or least liked) characters. Let's keep it to one thread per character though, if possible.

Rescuing Sara Waite

More
1 year 9 months ago #59078 by rcaffin
rcaffin replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite
Obviously I am completely ignorant of all the background stuff which has been ever so briefly mentioned here - which is great because that means I can be utterly uninhibited about trying to stir the system back into action.

But how can I do this? I very much doubt that I have the amazing creativity Gen I authors have displayed, although I make a very passable Editor (in several places over the last 20 years).

Hippy now has Erin. She may not be as motivated imho. Does Jet exist any more - except perhaps as a shade? (Novel concept - Jet as a shade!)

The scale of the search area is huge - unless we narrow it down! This can be done!

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #59080 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

rcaffin wrote: Obviously I am completely ignorant of all the background stuff which has been ever so briefly mentioned here - which is great because that means I can be utterly uninhibited about trying to stir the system back into action.

But how can I do this? I very much doubt that I have the amazing creativity Gen I authors have displayed, although I make a very passable Editor (in several places over the last 20 years).

Hippy now has Erin. She may not be as motivated imho. Does Jet exist any more - except perhaps as a shade? (Novel concept - Jet as a shade!)

The scale of the search area is huge - unless we narrow it down! This can be done!

Cheers

Since I don't know what you've read, Hippy was the one that brought the missing Sara to Admin's attention. Jet, from my understanding, needs a sexual encounter to recharge, something any of Sara's Pack can provide. All of Sara's Pack have her mark, they are linked to her, not as tightly as Jade to Billie, but enough that they need her to be found.

Don't Drick and Drive.

More
1 year 9 months ago #59087 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite
rcaffin, you appear to be under the impression that TK has been set aside due to lack of interest in writing stories about them. It's not that; it's rather that Gen1 was set up rather informally, with the understanding that each author had exclusive rights to direct their character's evolution. The informal understanding was that other authors may only use them as supporting characters, and even so consulting the character "owner" if possible. Nobody planned for authors leaving or otherwise becoming unavailable, which in hindsight was a mistake (and I understand was addressed in the setting up of Gen2).

If for the sake of argument the current Cabal decided to, say, give Jade to a new author, that would be a massive breach of trust. If then Babs showed up, she would be well within her rights to be very pissed. Or perhaps even one of the other "silent" authors, even if not directly involved, could become angry at the perceived betrayal of a fellow author. And having a fight between the canon authors would be a MUCH more serious problem than characters being sidelined.

Other than the original authors (the ones who are reachable, anyway) officially "handing over" the characters to a new author, there simply isn't a way to take over those characters. It's not an ideal situation, but it's what it is.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Valentine, marie7342231

More
1 year 9 months ago #59091 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

Sir Lee wrote: rcaffin, you appear to be under the impression that TK has been set aside due to lack of interest in writing stories about them. It's not that; it's rather that Gen1 was set up rather informally, with the understanding that each author had exclusive rights to direct their character's evolution. The informal understanding was that other authors may only use them as supporting characters, and even so consulting the character "owner" if possible. Nobody planned for authors leaving or otherwise becoming unavailable, which in hindsight was a mistake (and I understand was addressed in the setting up of Gen2).

I wrote one (and only one) Ayla story, but that was with permission from Diane (before she vanished completely). More Ayla from me? Unlikely as a principle character, but as Ayla is currently interested in Charge, who is one of my characters, there may be more appearances of Ayla, but supporting.

Gen 2 got permissions of all the authors that the characters could be 'passed on' to another if an author vanishes or simply quits.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, marie7342231, Katssun

More
1 year 9 months ago #59098 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

rcaffin wrote: Hippy now has Erin. She may not be as motivated imho. Does Jet exist any more - except perhaps as a shade? (Novel concept - Jet as a shade!)

I think I missed the story where Hippolyta and Feral became an item.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 9 months ago #59099 by rcaffin
> the story where Hippolyta and Feral became an item
Sara was in the Crystal Palace (I think) and Hippy rather awkwardly explains that she and Erin are, well... Sara was amused, although slightly disappointed that they felt they had to hide it. I think Title - not sure.

> Jet, from my understanding, needs a sexual encounter to recharge
I missed that one! Jet gave her life force (?) to Sara after Sara was ambushed, leaving a heap of fabric behind, and I thought that was it. Details please?

Anyhow, back to rescuing Sara. What we need seems to be an 'unowned' character to be the lead for the story. I doubt that the informal agreements preclude other owned characters from appearing in the story in supporting roles. So who owns Gypsy, or Winnie, or even Carson?

Cheers

More
1 year 9 months ago #59100 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

rcaffin wrote: Anyhow, back to rescuing Sara. What we need seems to be an 'unowned' character to be the lead for the story. I doubt that the informal agreements preclude other owned characters from appearing in the story in supporting roles.

Who is this "we" that you speak of, and what is the need?

I know I'd rather wait to see what Dr. Bender cooks up, because otherwise I don't see what adding Carmilla back into the canon storyline achieves unless someone who understands the character is writing for her.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anne

More
1 year 9 months ago #59104 by JG
JG replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite
It's a courtesy thing.

My vision is not Bender's vision is not Elrod's vision is not Bek's vision is not...

You get the idea.

Now there are a few people who I've basically given carte blanche with certain characters, because they've shown they'll stay true to the character as-written.

I won't say which ones, but There's a few.

But the others aren't here to GIVE that carte blanche to the rest of us. They aren't here to say "Joe (or Elrod, or morpheus, or EE, etc) you have a rock-solid handle on the stories i want to tell with this character, their personality and how they'd act in any given situation, feel free to use them whenever, however."

What's stopping most of us is we know how we'd feel if someone took our characters and took them in a direction they were NEVER meant to go.

I'd probably flip my lid if someone turned Caitlin into some kind of sweet saint who never fucked up or made mistakes just as badly as if she somehow metamorphed into a catty bitch who acted like the bitchy teenage cheerleader of every high school movie stereotype.

None of us want to do that to each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D, Anne

More
1 year 9 months ago #59110 by rcaffin
Caitlin as a sweet saint ...
My mind runs into a brick wall there! With barbed wire on top.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anne

More
1 year 9 months ago #59111 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

JG wrote: It's a courtesy thing.

My vision is not Bender's vision is not Elrod's vision is not Bek's vision is not...

You get the idea.

Now there are a few people who I've basically given carte blanche with certain characters, because they've shown they'll stay true to the character as-written.

I won't say which ones, but There's a few.

But the others aren't here to GIVE that carte blanche to the rest of us. They aren't here to say "Joe (or Elrod, or morpheus, or EE, etc) you have a rock-solid handle on the stories i want to tell with this character, their personality and how they'd act in any given situation, feel free to use them whenever, however."

What's stopping most of us is we know how we'd feel if someone took our characters and took them in a direction they were NEVER meant to go.

I'd probably flip my lid if someone turned Caitlin into some kind of sweet saint who never fucked up or made mistakes just as badly as if she somehow metamorphed into a catty bitch who acted like the bitchy teenage cheerleader of every high school movie stereotype.

None of us want to do that to each other.

By the way, this is why, even though I've used Gothmog quite extensively in my micro-scene I haven't actually used him as more than a shadow on a screen, nor will I have him actually find Sara, it is more that I've decided to show what he might do to someone who might know about what happened to Sara if that someone came into his power. Sure he isn't too worried about permanent harm coming to her, but I can't imagine he's as detached as he is made to appear in the last report we have of Hippy approaching the admin about Sara's disappearance. I hope, even though micro-scene work is at best fan-fiction when done by a non-canon author, that I've been true to Bek's vision of Gothmog and what he might do.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds