× Feel free to use this section to discuss your favorite (or least liked) characters. Let's keep it to one thread per character though, if possible.

Rescuing Sara Waite

More
1 year 9 months ago #59538 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

null0trooper wrote:

rcaffin wrote: Jade is backed by a Demon, even if that demon is unknown. Could that demon spur jade on to motivate Gypsy? This would only make Jade's appearance a minor one: Gypsy would be the lead character as she follows the cards.

Which Demon is backing Jade?

Jade isn't backed by a Demon, her mark is from The Star Stalker. The only thing that it would really want to do to Sara is consume her.

Don't Drick and Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #59539 by rcaffin
rcaffin replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite
We don't know.
All we know is that Jade bears a demon mark on her backside (hot tub scene, which led to a confrontation between Nikki and Sara - 'you stupid elf!'), and that the demon nearly withdrew its support (but didn't) when Jade confronted two utter idiots in Dunwich. One of them blew her hand off with jelly, but that did not stop Jade. The demon remained.

Cheers

More
1 year 9 months ago #59541 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

“It has to be you.  You alone.  Prove to me that you can do it.  Prove that you can hold your own, when it really matters.  Show me that when it counts, you can put someone down, and put him down hard!”

That was Billie talking, not a demon, in Jade 8.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 9 months ago #59542 by rcaffin
Right at the end of jade 8:
Sara wasn’t amused by the jibe. “Oh, nothing much, I suppose.” Her
tone was cold as ice. “I just thought you might care that Jade has a
demon mark.”

There is another mention of the demon somewhere else - I forget where.

Cheers

More
1 year 9 months ago #59544 by JG
JG replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

Inanna wrote: It sort of kills off the entire universe if a key character can no longer be a major contributor to the overall story when there are already so many plot dependencies written around them being around for the next parts.

What is another writer to do? Its as if you are in a hallway full of doors and they are all locked off to you.

If an author tires of the genre, dies or goes completely off-topic it just takes it all to a grinding halt. That is what has happened to Gen1. No more growth is possible, imagination dies as other authors just have nothing to interplay off of.

Sadly that is what is happening to all of Whateley Academy.

Inanna (tish)

I disagree fully with this assessment.

There's ALWAYS something to play off of.

But this is also why Outcast Corner stories aren't dependent upon other authors' characters to be a thing. It's why Kayda stories aren't dependent upon outcasts as a major factor even if they all occasionally dip into other peoples' lives. Some of the Kimbas are in a sort of limbo, but it's only a "Sort of" limbo.

If Mags finds her muse again? If Bender chooses to return?

Until them some of us have a fair idea where some characters were going to go. I have a pretty solid grasp on where Fey was going to go. But Phoenix Spiritus is headed in that direction ANYWAY and the Hank stories are better than ANYTHING I could have concocted for the boy. (spoiler: I was originally offered the right to write Hank, but declined because I don't think I could have done justice)

The only thing that really happened is that the Kimbas were no longer the sole point of central focus for the Whateley Universe. There's enough laid out that other characters can make their mark without impugning upon the original crew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Sir Lee, Valentine

More
1 year 9 months ago #59546 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

Jade 6 Chapter 41 wrote:
Yes, that was a relationship she would grab and hold onto forever. Loyalty to her big sister forever, no matter what. And if the scary face was part of Big Sis? Well, sisters can be like that. She might never understand everything her older sister did or was. But she would love her forever, all the same. Even the scary face. If it was Billie, she loved the scary face, too.
"You don't know... you can't know..." But the face seemed taken aback, under the strength of her loyalty.
Jade wouldn't budge in her feelings.
"Do you have the slightest idea of what I am, and what I demand of you?"
The tone reminded Jade of long discussions with Sara. Sara had discussed her mark. "My mark of ownership," she'd called it.
At one time, Jade had offered to take that and more. Her price had been a female body. Her payment would have been her body, her children, and her soul.
Sara had refused, and it had led to a small fight between them. She wondered if this would feel anything like that. This time, the scary face had offered no payment at all. And although Jade's soul hadn't been mentioned as part of the bargain, she wondered if it might come to that anyway. What was she giving? Her soul? Her life? Everything?
But that wasn't the issue. The question was, who was asking. The scary face was doing the talking, but it was Billie. She felt, and she suddenly saw how they were the same. It didn't matter what the face wanted. This was Billie.
Jade smiled, and accepted completely.
Abruptly, the face smirked. "I see. Then I accept, too."

There's more before this, but it is several pages long and mixed with the Bitslicer crew working.

The only thing associated with Billie is the Scourge/Destroyer/Star Stalker. And I don't remember where, but it mentioned that Jade's "Demon Mark" is a carrot.

Don't Drick and Drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kettlekorn

More
1 year 9 months ago #59547 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

JG wrote: The only thing that really happened is that the Kimbas were no longer the sole point of central focus for the Whateley Universe. There's enough laid out that other characters can make their mark without impugning upon the original crew.

We're not going to try to lie to anyone that Team Kimba wasn't originally intended to be the central plotline for the universe, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that they don't have to be. We are working with a setting that has a large rotating cast of potential characters.

Every new semester or school year invigorates the roster and makes it possible to reinterpret old plots and foreshadowing. That reference from years back about the native american character? Probably meant Heyoka... but did it? Maybe it meant Kayda. Maybe it mean another Native character who you won't meet until the timeline hits 2009. I can guarantee that NO major plotline that was originally created needs to be scrapped entirely. We are perfectly capable of reworking them to redistribute the way events play out. We're also plenty willing to let the TK characters play their pre-assigned roles... we just won't be doing it with them as the protagonist characters.

And as an example of how this is possible... let's talk about the Halloween attack in year one. That invasion was about attacking and taking down Sara. And maybe TK in connection with her. But a lot of that story covered other people. In a big way, it was also Caitlyn/Eldritch's origin story. So sure... if you're focused on Sara as a primary character, you're going to look at that as a Sara/TK story. But if you're an Outcasts fan, its something very different.

Even if the old author team was still around, I think we'd have far more characters being developed than just more and more TK. Maybe not as many as with the inclusion of new authors... but still. There's even a precedent for it. Look at Marvel's X-Men. The original team ran for 91 issues and were then replaced by another team recruited specifically to rescue the original group. Over the years, they ran blue and gold teams, mixed things around, had spin off titles, and so on. Whateley is and will continue to do the same. We've looked at the big plots. Those were never meant to be TK only... they impact the school, the state, the country... and so on. And with the character development we've done now... you can still show you the TK parts... we just won't show them to you with Ayla as PoV character.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, Valentine

More
1 year 9 months ago #59550 by mhalpern
mhalpern replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

Kristin Darken wrote:

JG wrote: The only thing that really happened is that the Kimbas were no longer the sole point of central focus for the Whateley Universe. There's enough laid out that other characters can make their mark without impugning upon the original crew.

We're not going to try to lie to anyone that Team Kimba wasn't originally intended to be the central plotline for the universe, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that they don't have to be. We are working with a setting that has a large rotating cast of potential characters.

Every new semester or school year invigorates the roster and makes it possible to reinterpret old plots and foreshadowing. That reference from years back about the native american character? Probably meant Heyoka... but did it? Maybe it meant Kayda. Maybe it mean another Native character who you won't meet until the timeline hits 2009. I can guarantee that NO major plotline that was originally created needs to be scrapped entirely. We are perfectly capable of reworking them to redistribute the way events play out. We're also plenty willing to let the TK characters play their pre-assigned roles... we just won't be doing it with them as the protagonist characters.

And as an example of how this is possible... let's talk about the Halloween attack in year one. That invasion was about attacking and taking down Sara. And maybe TK in connection with her. But a lot of that story covered other people. In a big way, it was also Caitlyn/Eldritch's origin story. So sure... if you're focused on Sara as a primary character, you're going to look at that as a Sara/TK story. But if you're an Outcasts fan, its something very different.

Even if the old author team was still around, I think we'd have far more characters being developed than just more and more TK. Maybe not as many as with the inclusion of new authors... but still. There's even a precedent for it. Look at Marvel's X-Men. The original team ran for 91 issues and were then replaced by another team recruited specifically to rescue the original group. Over the years, they ran blue and gold teams, mixed things around, had spin off titles, and so on. Whateley is and will continue to do the same. We've looked at the big plots. Those were never meant to be TK only... they impact the school, the state, the country... and so on. And with the character development we've done now... you can still show you the TK parts... we just won't show them to you with Ayla as PoV character.

The only thing foreshadowing regarding a specific character I can think of is Nimbus's intention's for Ayla's younger brother which never got resolved,

Any Bad Ideas I have and microscene OC character stories are freely adoptable.

More
1 year 9 months ago #59551 by rcaffin
But there are so many really loose ends. Is there a Call The Thunder part8? And there are others. So much to do ...

Cheers

More
1 year 9 months ago #59553 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Rescuing Sara Waite

rcaffin wrote: But there are so many really loose ends. Is there a Call The Thunder part8? And there are others. So much to do ...

Cheers

“Diamondback, I hate precogs, but right now I could fucking kiss you.”
...To be concluded in ‘Ashes and Steel’.

mhalpern wrote: The only thing foreshadowing regarding a specific character I can think of is Nimbus's intention's for Ayla's younger brother which never got resolved,

The overall story line is just now passing November 2007. Events plotted for Winter Break and 2008 should not have been released yet.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds