× Keep in mind that suggestions must be within the realm of possibility to be taken seriously.

Posting rules: All registered members can create threads and post to existing ones.

Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
1 year 6 days ago #65159 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
The cyan/green 'notification' boxes (for post edits and ect.) seem a little jarring when placed against the background. Also, the top of the page seems a bit cramped with the new image at the top. I'm unsure whether that space is meant for ads, since my browser seems to be allergic to showing ads. If not, that image could be replaced with a wider one, or otherwise some space-filling stuff could go there...? There seems to be a awful lot of dead space in the site design, which I now heavily suspect is because my bloody ad-blocker has turned itself on again. I'll rectify that now:

Oh wow.

I did NOT notice that parchment effect before I turned off my Adblock. Did...did an update just go through as I was reloading? Because I'm seeing it now, and I've turned my Adblock on again after noticing no ads in the dead space.

Oh, and I've also noticed that the title styles on the stories- especially the early Gen-1 ones- have disappeared on mobile. There's now a box around the story, and simple boldified text. It doesn't appear to be intentional, but that's my take on something I have no clue about.

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• CrazyMinh
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
1 year 6 days ago #65160 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
Um...I'm going to have to agree with those against the parchment look here. It's a bit annoying. It might just be my ADHD, but I keep getting distracted by the white marks.

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

• E. E. Nalley
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
1 year 6 days ago #65161 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
My eyes keep trying to see a forest in a sepia-tone photograph. Especially across the top behind the Crystal Hall logo. Like trying really hard to see a 3D mirage picture. I also have to say not a fan. Maybe a different source that looked more parchment, but less old/used? I dunno.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

More
1 year 6 days ago #65162 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
Regarding textures:
I don't know if it's possible within the constraints of the software, but I would leave it out of the main text boxes. Let's say, have a subtle texture for the site background, but a flat color (maybe slightly lighter than the main window bg texture) for the text boxes. Background textures tend to kill legibility.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Court

More
1 year 6 days ago #65163 by joreymay
joreymay replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
I hate to complain, with all the good work you are doing for us, but I have to agree that I am not a fan of the new background. The texture looks kind of nice in the non-text areas, but it is a problem behind text and some buttons for those of us with less than perfect vision. While the story areas are better than the forum areas, even they are awkward in places.

More
1 year 6 days ago #65164 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment

CrazyMinh wrote: Oh wow.

I did NOT notice that parchment effect before I turned off my Adblock. Did...did an update just go through as I was reloading? Because I'm seeing it now, and I've turned my Adblock on again after noticing no ads in the dead space.

No, the update happened before this thread was created. You just didn't see it right away because of browser caching.

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.

More
1 year 6 days ago #65176 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
There are no ads. We haven't had any ads on the site since a week after I opened the Patreon account and people donated enough to cover the costs that were previously being paid for by ad revenue.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.

More
1 year 5 days ago #65191 by Court
Court replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
I have to agree that the texture behind text is sometimes hard to read. The more texture, the harder it is to read.

There is one spot that could use MORE texture: the big white bar at end of the "Index Recent Topics .... Help" menu is glaring. If nothing else, you could fill it with "Unused" or something.

More
1 year 5 days ago #65195 by Katssun
Katssun replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
The only major issue I personally have is that some previous stories (e.g. Gen 2 IDTWIKA) have section breaks as picture squiggles. The backgrounds of those images aren't picking up the texture, so they don't look aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not sure if the break-images already have transparency backgrounds or not.

I like the textures in all the menus, and while it took a few paragraphs, but I have no issue with the background for main story text.

More
1 year 5 days ago #65199 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
Leaving aside the texture issue for now... I don't know if anybody else is having this issue, but the main menu bar at the top looks odd: the last button, the one with the user's picture, is sitting all alone in a second (otherwise blank) row, under a blank spot where it *should* be located.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBender
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds