× Keep in mind that suggestions must be within the realm of possibility to be taken seriously.

Posting rules: All registered members can create threads and post to existing ones.

Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment

More
1 year 1 week ago #65202 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment

Sir Lee wrote: Leaving aside the texture issue for now... I don't know if anybody else is having this issue, but the main menu bar at the top looks odd: the last button, the one with the user's picture, is sitting all alone in a second (otherwise blank) row, under a blank spot where it *should* be located.

Seems to be related to resizing. When I have my browser window at my normal size, it all fits in one row just fine. If I make the window a bit narrower, the avatar button drops down to a second row; so far so good, though it drops down just a little bit earlier than would be strictly necessary so that there's a narrow range of window widths where the button would have fit in the first row but ends up on the second instead (sounds like what you're seeing). If I make the window even narrower, so that other buttons have to wrap around into the second row, then the avatar button immediately goes onto a third row even though there's still tons of room in the second row.

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
1 year 1 week ago #65204 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
The gap in the top navigation bar most likely comes from kunena.css setting a minimum width of 960px for #kunena.layout .navbar .nav (which is why browser screen width matters), but at a glance I'd say that the combined anchor text + margins runs just short of that. If Kristin is having to compile setup files to CSS, as mentioned, it would be a PITA to get that just right, and that still won't look right for folks using different fonts (because of OS or eyesight)

The dropdown list (class="nav pull-right") is different from the other boxes because it's meant to float right instead of floating left. So when the space available runs short, it's the first to drop (being rightmost) and then floats to the right of the space claimed for the wraparound. (It's actually doing what it's meant to do.)

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 1 week ago #65208 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
That sort of thing will ALWAYS happen when you change your screen size (whether by looking at the site from a different device or by changing your browser size) while viewing a responsive web site. They function on % of screen size for graphics and column definition, converting the pixel info from the design to work with what you have. The only way to fix that is to NOT use responsive design and instead create tailor made site layouts with a detection that channels you to the right one. I am NOT doing that... and neither is any other sane designer in the business. What you 'will' find is there might be a responsive site and an APP for mobile use...and they get around mobile needs for web sites by instead having app style buttons and menus instead of scripting them in html and style sheets.

Anyway... conversation is basically moot on this. More than 90% of the responses have said NOTHING positive and most of them had complaints about one thing or another. I'm not getting paid enough to spent a couple hundred hours fixing every little "this bothers me" thing that is suddenly made manifest by the change in style, so I've reverted it to what its been for the past year or so.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
1 year 1 week ago #65209 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
Kristin, I'm sorry you feel unappreciated, and I'm sorry for my role in that. Thing is, not many of us know enough about the site's mechanics to offer solutions for perceived issues. I know a little bit of HTML and CSS (and practically no Javascript), but I didn't dig into Kunena to figure out what could be done. I thought I was helping in a debugging process, but evidently it came out as whiny complaints. That was not my intent, and I apologize.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

More
1 year 1 week ago #65225 by joreymay
joreymay replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
Likewise, I apologize if I came across as an ungrateful wretch. Thank you for your efforts, and thank you for restoring the readability of the site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

More
1 year 6 days ago #65239 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: Re: Background Textures and palette adjustment
Sometimes experiments work out the way that you want, sometimes they come out differently.

Please do not think that all of your hard work goes unappreciated.

You do an excellent job of keeping this place running.

Give us a shout in advance letting us know when you'll be testing the next set of changes.

I've found when dealing with software, more often it's the surprise, and not the actual changes that causes issues with acceptance.

Another approach would be to say, "i'm trying these changes. Can anyone tell me what they break?"

Either way, or a different way, please accept thanks from all of us for your work. :D

Measure Twice

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBender
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds