× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

The way off topic thread.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #8906 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

NeoMagus wrote:

Malady wrote: In regards to:

whateleyacademy.net/index.php/forum/the-...-never-stops-raining

Is it weird that I thought it'd be about London, England, which I remember troped as perpetually raining?

I thought it was the Pacific Northwest that was always described that way?

:shrugs:
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Malady.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #8925 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Actually, my thought was "how odd, yes we are having constant rain HERE due to El Niño, but how come people in the Northern Hemisphere are complaining of exactly the same thing? Shouldn't they be complaining of snow?"

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
3 years 10 months ago #8927 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Believe me where I come from we get about 5 months of snow regularly, sometimes more. By the midway mark most people are complaining a lot about snow, even if we do like skiing, snowshoing and snowmobiling. By the fourth month, we're praying for global warming to take affect.

• Valentine
  • Valentine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 10 months ago #8930 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Sir Lee wrote: Actually, my thought was "how odd, yes we are having constant rain HERE due to El Niño, but how come people in the Northern Hemisphere are complaining of exactly the same thing? Shouldn't they be complaining of snow?"

That really depends upon where you are in the Northern Hemisphere. The North American West Coast has it's temperatures moderated by the Pacific, so you have to go to the high altitudes in the mountains for consistent snow. Currently where I am in Illinois, the temperatures have been fluctuating from above freezing to below freezing, We've had a few light dustings of snow, but we had around 6" of rain just after Christmas.

The funny thing is that California, which is in the middle of a severe drought, has been complaining about the lack of rain, now that it is raining there, they are complaining about the rain.

Don't Drick and Drive.

More
3 years 10 months ago #8931 by amratner
amratner replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Believe me, at this time of year Berlin NH does not get rain, just snow (and sleet etc.)

More
3 years 10 months ago #9266 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Would a bunny shapeshifter be a lagomorphmorph?

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

More
3 years 10 months ago #9274 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Arcanist Lupus wrote: Would a bunny shapeshifter be a lagomorphmorph?

"Lapinthrope..." :P B)

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

More
3 years 10 months ago #9276 by DanZilla
DanZilla replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

NeoMagus wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote: Would a bunny shapeshifter be a lagomorphmorph?

"Lapinthrope..." :P B)

I think girls who become bunnies prefer to be thought of as models.

More
3 years 10 months ago #9280 by mittfh
mittfh replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Just a quick addendum to the weather discussion: the UK's rather soggy climate (we typically have snow for a couple of days per year, it rarely exceeds 4", and when it does fall it causes travel / transport panic) is largely due to the Gulf and Jet Streams. As an illustration of what we'd be like without them, the South Coast is at a higher latitude than Vancouver; London and Cardiff are at higher latitudes than Calgary; Birmingham and Coventry are at higher latitudes than Saskatoon; while Leeds, Bradford and York are at higher latitudes than Edmonton.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

More
3 years 10 months ago #9281 by ~Archangel~
~Archangel~ replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

mittfh wrote: Just a quick addendum to the weather discussion: the UK's rather soggy climate (we typically have snow for a couple of days per year, it rarely exceeds 4", and when it does fall it causes travel / transport panic) is largely due to the Gulf and Jet Streams. As an illustration of what we'd be like without them, the South Coast is at a higher latitude than Vancouver; London and Cardiff are at higher latitudes than Calgary; Birmingham and Coventry are at higher latitudes than Saskatoon; while Leeds, Bradford and York are at higher latitudes than Edmonton.

So with climate change, what you're saying is that Canada has a market for snow removal equipment? :lol:

Many people hear voices when no-one is there.
Some are called 'mad' and shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.
Others are called 'writers' and they do pretty much the same thing.
-Ray Bradbury

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds