× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

The way off topic thread.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #10279 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

mittfh wrote: The Webcomic Flipside is currently (re)introducing a character who it's recently been revealed has similar powers to a notorious Whateley student (albeit via a magical eyepiece rather than an innate power), and unsurprisingly uses it for the same purpose...

p10 p11 p18 p19 p20

Hmm... Interesting point, I think, that has been brought up in the comic...

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Do people just want privacy because they're ashamed? Well, that and possibly because they're doing something illegal...

So, what do you guys think?
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Malady.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #10282 by RavinPagan
RavinPagan replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
I present to you the reason the fastball special shouldn't be coppied, beyond it being stupid to throw a teammate at an enemy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, ~Archangel~

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #10285 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Malady wrote: Do people just want privacy because they're ashamed? Well, that and possibly because they're doing something illegal...

Oh, is that one of those police-state-apology-style arguments that "if you don't want the NSA to read your e-mails, you must have something to hide?"

People want privacy because it's THEIR life and it's NO ONE ELSE'S BLOODY BUSINESS.

Or to put it another way: I'm not ashamed of anything I do. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong or objectionable. I'm not harming anyone with my somewhat unusual tastes in Web fiction, for instance. BUT there are people who would think that my tastes are, in fact, objectionable, and would use it as a justification to deny me business, perhaps even freedom or life. And other people might not see any problem by themselves, but might bring it to the attention of the first group to gain some advantage for themselves (such as stealing customers from me).
So, yes, I sure want to keep my private affairs... private.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Sir Lee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, Valentine

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #10287 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Sir Lee wrote:

Malady wrote: Do people just want privacy because they're ashamed? Well, that and possibly because they're doing something illegal...

Oh, is that one of those police-state-apology-style arguments that "if you don't want the NSA to read your e-mails, you must have something to hide?"

People want privacy because it's THEIR life and it's NO ONE ELSE'S BLOODY BUSINESS.

Or to put it another way: I'm not ashamed of anything I do. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong or objectionable. I'm not harming anyone with my somewhat unusual tastes in Web fiction, for instance. BUT there are people who would think that my tastes are, in fact, objectionable, and would use it as a justification to deny me business, perhaps even freedom or life. And other people might not see any problem by themselves, but might bring it to the attention of the first group to gain some advantage for themselves (such as stealing customers from me).
So, yes, I sure want to keep my private affairs... private.

:oops: Whoops! Forgot those very sound arguments!

Sorry if I ticked you off with my lack of research / forgetfulness!
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Malady.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #10311 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Also, most of us live in legal systems where you are "innocent until proven guilty". It is upto the state to build a case before taking action against you, they can just do it on a whim or heresay.

Also, "group punishments" are illegal, you cannot punish a family because of what one member did, or a group of people for the actions of one.

Pre-emtive invasions of privacy against everyone seems like a violations of both legal principles, these principles being the very definitions of our "civilised" society.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

More
3 years 9 months ago #10390 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

More
3 years 9 months ago #10444 by Malady

More
3 years 9 months ago #10503 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
I have just learned about this author, but now I want to read her story about a queer half-dragon from space .

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

• Valentine
  • Valentine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 9 months ago #10576 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Happy ME Day!

For those not celebrating, have a pleasant day.

Don't Drick and Drive.

More
3 years 9 months ago #10614 by mittfh
mittfh replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Philae Lander: Scientist regrets comet probe was not yellow and pink

That colour scheme would have been just up Jade's street... probably with the visage of a certain Sanrio character emblazoned on its top.
Meanwhile, Jericho's chosen design would certainly be noticeable... unfortunately it would cause sensor overload and possibly even some vomiting at Mission Control...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds