× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

The way off topic thread.

More
3 years 7 months ago #14332 by rubberjohn
rubberjohn replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Wow Kettlekorn... I remember seeing this effect as a small child as a part of a pack of 'Indoor Fireworks' that my parents got one Christmas. As I recall the 'snake' was in the form of a small pill-like pellet stuck onto a small square of cardboard. I remember being fascinated as the 'snake' formed after my father lit the pellet.

Of course my mother was NOT at all pleased at the stink that remained in the room after our 'Indoor Fireworks' display so, as I recall, this was a one time only display. I could only have been six or seven at the time but the memory came back clearly when I watched the video.

Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful childhood experience that I had almost forgotten.

John.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #14411 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Oi.
7 months and I don't know how many tries to get a budget passed.
I don't know how many months and 1 try to get medical maharajah passed.

I think the PA legislature's priorities are a bit skewed.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

• Valentine
  • Valentine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 7 months ago #14469 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Cryptic wrote: Oi.
7 months and I don't know how many tries to get a budget passed.
I don't know how many months and 1 try to get medical maharajah passed.

I think the PA legislature's priorities are a bit skewed.

Hah! We've been without a budget for over 9 months. Oddly the Democrats have a super majority in both Houses, but won't try to override the Governor's veto.

Don't Drick and Drive.

More
3 years 7 months ago #14471 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Note to self -

In the future, do NOT do data entry for taxes when on prescription-strength decongestants and stuff for a URI. Transposing numbers while your head is swimming in congestion, sinus pressure, and medicines is too easy to do and hard to spot, and it's very alarming to think you owe tens of thousands in taxes! Tends to upset the family when you scream WTF at your computer a lot.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

More
3 years 7 months ago #14481 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
The two times in history Australian upper houses successfully blocked the budgets of a state / federal government it triggered "double dissolution" where all members of both houses had to stand for election again.

Doesn't the US have a similar thing? I mean, can they really just jack off until the actual services of the governments fall apart?

More
3 years 7 months ago #14483 by FuzzyBoots
FuzzyBoots replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
At least for Pennsylvania, it was a mess where the Republicans would suggest a budget, Wolf would threaten to veto it, they'd change it, the'd threaten vetoes until they added something he wanted. They modified the budget to match what he wanted, he said it would be fine... and then vetoed it again. It's been a real mess and it's difficult to say who's at fault other than voters for voting people on completely opposite sides.

There is no rule to remove people early. People could vote them out, but voters tend to be lazy and vote for whoever their party sponsors, not to mention that we usually don't have much of a range to choose from.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #14485 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Phoenix Spiritus wrote: The two times in history Australian upper houses successfully blocked the budgets of a state / federal government it triggered "double dissolution" where all members of both houses had to stand for election again.

Doesn't the US have a similar thing? I mean, can they really just jack off until the actual services of the governments fall apart?

The US republic works much differently from a parliamentary democracy. One way being its much slower and harder to change, with the benefits of being more stable, and a little better at avoiding domination from one part of the government.
It was funny in 2012. Canada had an election, had a constitutional crisis that almost forced a second election, and settled everything in the time it took the US to get halfway through nominating who would run for president.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Domoviye.

More
3 years 7 months ago #14490 by elrodw
elrodw replied the topic: The way off topic thread.
Some situations DO have a recall mechanism, but it rarely succeeds. There isn't one for the most f'd up Federal positions, though. Yeah, our politics is a mess. What most people don't remember is that it WAS a federation of sovereign republics - the various states. The state governments chose their senators however they wanted. Once the 17th amendment required direct election of senators, the states lost a LOT of control over the federal leviathan. So the Senate is no longer the states' check on the government, nor is it the deliberative body to control the 'passions of the populace'.

Doesn't matter anymore anyway. We're no longer a representative republic; all elected officials are controlled by a corporate and banking oligarchy who let us go through a show every 4 years to make the populace THINK that we have a say. yes, I'm a cynic right now - a bad sinus infection and meds tends to do that to me.

Never give up, Never surrender! Captain Peter Quincy Taggert

• Valentine
  • Valentine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 7 months ago #14547 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Phoenix Spiritus wrote: The two times in history Australian upper houses successfully blocked the budgets of a state / federal government it triggered "double dissolution" where all members of both houses had to stand for election again.

Nope.

I could rant for hours about Illinois politics. In a brief statement, the Democratic Machine in Chicago generally has enough of a population base to control the rest of the state.

Don't Drick and Drive.

More
3 years 7 months ago #14562 by ~Archangel~
~Archangel~ replied the topic: The way off topic thread.

Valentine wrote:

Nope.

I could rant for hours about Illinois politics. In a brief statement, the Democratic Machine in Chicago generally has enough of a population base to control the rest of the state.

And if they don't legions of undead will rise from the depths, from bowels of the voter rolls to vote according to whims of those that summon them, then return to their uneasy sleep. ;)

Many people hear voices when no-one is there.
Some are called 'mad' and shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.
Others are called 'writers' and they do pretty much the same thing.
-Ray Bradbury

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds