× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

Crystal Con 2019

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #60508 by marie7342231
marie7342231 replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
First, Godspeed with the chaos in your life. I hope it all settles easily and swiftly.

Second, I enjoyed Crystal Con and hope it happens next year. Hope that helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, XaltatunOfAcheron, CrazyMinh, ebony841

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 days ago #64448 by ebony841
ebony841 replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
This years Crystal Convention will be taking place during 30th Aug to 1st Sept. We would invite all authors to come and discuss and attend the Q and A session. The discord channel will be hosted by Polk Kitsune.

discord.gg/bMGfsNk

We hope that we will be able to attract more authors too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, XaltatunOfAcheron, marie7342231

More
6 months 1 day ago #64468 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
If you provide structure and agendas and work with authors to designate what sessions will be about and to arrange times that work; you will probably find that many of the authors are happy to participate. It's much harder to make arrangements to commit to something if we don't know what is going on, what time it will be, whether anyone will attend, and so on. For example, if you want to hold a panel with Gen 2 authors about what it was like to have to develop an entirely new setting in a world that had already been established and written in for over a decade, you might ask all the gen 2 authors to attend and give them three or four target time slots and see if you can get a consensus. And then give them a list of panel questions to prepare for. You can still open the floor for whatever, but this will let the authors prepare if they choose. On the audience side of things, list a bunch of panel or Q and A topics that you are considering and see how many people would sign up to attend things. That way an author can say "you want me to commit time to a panel no one wants to talk about? no thanks... or the opposite, I am really busy, but I'll make time to talk about that because it seems like it'll draw a hundred people to the session".

And then be aware that we're international. A number of the Gen 2 authors are in the UK or Europe. Some of us are East Coast, others West. And we have readers around the world.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, XaltatunOfAcheron, marie7342231

• CrazyMinh
  • CrazyMinh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
  • ...On the Bounce, Troopers!!!
More
6 months 14 hours ago #64502 by CrazyMinh
CrazyMinh replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
If anyone needs access to the original discord, it's still open, although I may need to give someone else some admin privileges. I mean, there is the current discord, but since there's already a dedicated C-Con discord, it wouldn't be that much work on my end to add some more mods, and maybe another admin to run it this year. It'd also allow the chats to be pulled without any of the other stuff. Last year, I pulled the entire chat logs so that information could be added to the wiki. There's a link somewhere in the wiki thread, but I'm concerned that pulling the logs from the current discord may also pull the chat that's been going on for the last however-long-it's-been-active.

You can find my stories at Fanfiction.net here .

You can also check out my fanfiction guest riffs at Library of the Dammed

The following user(s) said Thank You: XaltatunOfAcheron

• Polk Kitsune
  • Away
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #64575 by Polk Kitsune
Polk Kitsune replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
Well, I didn't volunteer, but if another Crystal Con is to happen, and no one else will organize it, then I can give it a go.

As CrazyMinh mentioned, the Discord is already up, though the CC is also still available. Either one should be fine, though the Discord would still stay up after CC2019 is done.

Would require some mods though, there's no ways I'd be able to manage everything around the clock. There's also the fact that I know very little on Gen 2, so someone with knowledge on that might be handy.

Krisin: Sounds like you have some experience on that, would you mind giving me some examples of questions, and how many? I think it might also be an idea to propose if authors might have something to introduce before taking questions. A topic they might want to talk about, get to know them and their process better.

As for how many people might show, it might be good to gauge interest in it. Last year was a great gathering, maybe we can get more this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: XaltatunOfAcheron

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #64576 by XaltatunOfAcheron
XaltatunOfAcheron replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
If someone could help enlighten an old geezer: is Crystal Con held in a hotel somewhere, or is it an on-line only event? If the latter, I might well be able to attend, and if so, I could definitely talk about the Wiki.

No guarantees yet - between my health and possible family obligations it might not be possible or the times might be too hard to make. (I'm in the US Eastern time zone, by the way,)

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #64577 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019

XaltatunOfAcheron wrote: If someone could help enlighten an old geezer: is Crystal Con held in a hotel somewhere, or is it an on

To my knowledge, it's online on Discord.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread

• Polk Kitsune
  • Away
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #64581 by Polk Kitsune
Yes, it's online on Discord only. We don't exactly have a budget for a whole con.

But it's a few days where fans and readers can gather, along with authors. There's specific times that can be set up with specific channels where Q&As can be done with the authors around. All voluntary, of course.

• Polk Kitsune
  • Away
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
5 months 1 week ago #64772 by Polk Kitsune
All right. If we are doing another Crystal Con, then I'm going to need some help.

First, I'm going to need some mods. I simply can't be around around the clock keeping an eye on everything. I don't expect major issues happening, I don't expect major fights, just to keep things relatively calm, and apply kicks in necessary. If there's problems or questions, bring them up to me, and I'll answer as best I can.

Meaning at the same time that I'll have to put up some ground rules too, put it all up in a list, be it for casual talk, or presentations.

Mods would also be allowed to run certain events if they want to. Specific topics, or panels, etc.

Second, it wouldn't be much of a con if we didn't have some panels, or stars to come around and talk. In this case, if I could ask for some authors to volunteer some of their precious time, we could schedule time for a session/presentation. It doesn't have to be alone, I'd even say it might be better in groups. If there's a topic you want to discuss first without disturbance, we can set up a channel for that (might have to test the selective mute section to make sure). If you're open for Q&A with fans after (or just a Q&A session), that can be done too. The sooner we can prep this, the better I can make a schedule I can post ahead of time, so interested people can gather when the time comes.

For those who miss the presentation, we can leave the logs up, or post the sessions up in the forum for later as desired.

Third, I still do need to know if the old channel would be preferred, or the more recent Discord chat would be a better place. Doubt there'd be much of a difference, an auditorium channel is already up, along with one for announcements, along with channels specifically for Gen 1 and Gen 2 discussions.

Fourth, and this is just a little recent idea, but we could also think up activities or small contests though the con.

For example, for those who tend to like writing up micro scenes, we could set up a bit of a daily challenge. Put up a few key words, like characters that must be in the scene, a choice of locations, and a word limit. All to be judged by the end by a few volunteer judges.

Or if we have an artist on hand to make a commission, we could make a caption contest. Have a single picture, and have contestants write up a quote, or fill in the dialogue bubble. Again, judging by the end.

If you have any recommendations, opinions, questions, etc, please either PM me, or comment in this thread, and we can work on details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kristin Darken, null0trooper

• Astrodragon
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
5 months 1 week ago #64802 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: Crystal Con 2019
Polk, I'm happy to make time for a daily visit of 1-2 hours.
I cant committ 100% yet, as I dont know my schedule for the period of the con, but I should be able to do this.
So if you let me know closer to the time when you'd like me, just contact me

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Polk Kitsune, ebony841

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds