× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

Canon Author Auditions

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #66055 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Canon Author Auditions

Anne wrote: If I wasn't utterly swamped by life I'd be jumping up and down to get Kelly moved over to be a canon character.

But see... this is what we "don't" want. Stories that are already released and out there are already released and out there. Sure, they'd probably get 'some' changes to match continuity, but the last thing we want to do in trying to bring new authors into the mix is for you to spend your first year or two learning continuity and rewriting something that everyone has already read. We want people who are willing to come in, learn what's happening behind the scenes and start something fresh that doesn't have to be adapted.

That's not saying that 'Kelly' couldn't be canon. But its not what we're asking for when we say we're looking for authors to help create new ongoing canon content.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #66170 by jmhyp
jmhyp replied the topic: Canon Author Auditions
Everyone has not read IF (on the old site I did, not now). I don't have the time. I barely keep up with canon. I don't know this "Kelly" from a hole in a wall.

Just saying.

More
2 months 1 week ago #66187 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Canon Author Auditions
And if that story is still posted somewhere, nothing is stopping you from reading it whenever you get around to it.

However... recruiting authors who want to focus on getting stories canonized that they have already released does not generate new content for the site and uses time and energy that we could spend on authors who are going to stick with it. If an author joins the team and while / after meeting the goals we ask them to, they want to use their newfound knowledge to revisit old stories and bring them in to canon continuity, that would be welcome... as long as the demands of doing so can be worked into our process. A good example of this is Morpheus. Morpheus has contributed a great deal to the canon body... and yes, he has also gone back reworked stories that were originally fan fic to fit with canon.

So... sure... anyone who wants to write as well as Morpheus, contribute as much as Morpheus... and also bring in their fan fiction stories to canon? Sure. I'll commit to making that exception to the general rules for recruiting. :-p

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
2 months 1 week ago #66290 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: Canon Author Auditions
I'm good with that actually and can understand where Kristin is coming from. One thing that many who read or write here have to understand is that in a way Chrystal Hall is Kristin's baby. She has been making sure that it didn't die an ignominious death when a number of the original canon authors abandoned the universe due to the fact that some fans felt that they were writing something that they didn't like (and I think I'm being a bit mild about what happened with the original breakup of the universe of Whateley Academy...) anyway, for all intents and purposes, this is Kristin's playground, and she sets the rules.

More
2 months 2 days ago #66379 by Ametros
Ametros replied the topic: Canon Author Auditions
The best compromise for bringing existing non-canon characters into the fold would be, I think, to work on a new story featuring them in such a way that it can be standalone. Especially if the character currently only exists in an 'origin story', you could skip over that and introduce bits and pieces of background, characterisation and such as you go rather than recreating the base story that would establish things and set up future stories.

Seriously, thank you for your time and effort. It is appreciated.

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
2 months 2 days ago #66380 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Canon Author Auditions

Ametros wrote: The best compromise for bringing existing non-canon characters into the fold would be, I think, to work on a new story featuring them in such a way that it can be standalone. Especially if the character currently only exists in an 'origin story', you could skip over that and introduce bits and pieces of background, characterisation and such as you go rather than recreating the base story that would establish things and set up future stories.

I think it would be painful for all concerned ( especially the readers ) to do it any other way.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds