× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

Wiki Wiki Wiki!

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #66955 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Wiki Wiki Wiki!
Is there an easier way to correct the 263 "Gen 2" category tags to "Gen2", like the existing 137 "Gen2", 1,392 "Gen1", and 11 "Gen0" pages, than to manually edit them?

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #66957 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Wiki Wiki Wiki!
You don't got the time, wanna cut down on History clutter, or what?

Everything leaves a History trail, so that's out.

263? I could do that today...

Sir Lee's bot is the best, could ask for your own?
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Malady.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #66962 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Wiki Wiki Wiki!

null0trooper wrote: Is there an easier way to correct the 263 "Gen 2" category tags to "Gen2", like the existing 137 "Gen2", 1,392 "Gen1", and 11 "Gen0" pages, than to manually edit them?

Yes, it can be done by a bot. I have a registered instance of AutoWikiBrowser (Wikia/Fandom requires bots be registered as their own users with special permissions, so they are not mistaken for vandals or spammers) and can do such stuff if necessary. I'll look into it.

EDIT: And... done! Did some cleaning up of redirects too (most redirects shouldn't belong to *any* category), also created the "Gen0" page as a subcategory of "Meta". No more category "Gen 2", and category "Gen2" now has 393 items.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Sir Lee.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #66965 by Sir Lee
Regarding bots: they are very useful for this sort of repetitive tasks, but they are a bit of a pain to set up initially and learn to use.

First pain is to get a bot account. Regular wiki admins such as me, E.E. and Anvildude are not able to add an account to the bot group; only Fandom admins can do so. You are supposed to set up a separate account for the bot and make a request to the Fandom admins. It has been a few years, so I no longer remember the details -- for instance, I don't remember if the one requesting has to have admin privileges in the first place, or who is the person to be contacted.

Then, you download AutoWikiBrowser (or a similar tool; I understand there are a couple others, including a web-based one, but for the most part people use AWB) and set it up in your machine. That part is pretty easy.

Then, the next pain is to figure out the settings so AWB can log in correctly to the Whateley wiki. That includes setting up a custom wiki (AWB comes pre-configured for Wikipedia and associated sites, other wikis have to be set up manually) and setting up the login.

Finally, the hardest part of it... learning to use AWB. Which is a very powerful tool, so powerful that it can f*ck up the entire wiki if you make a mistake and let it run unattended -- and the documentation is not really geared for the beginner. Since our wiki is not that large as things go, I almost always use it interactively -- It loads the page, highlights the change it's going to make, gives me an opportunity to hand-tweak it a bit if it makes sense, and then I can click "Save" or "Skip". I prefer playing it safe.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, null0trooper

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #66966 by null0trooper

Sir Lee wrote: Finally, the hardest part of it... learning to use AWB. Which is a very powerful tool, so powerful that it can f*ck up the entire wiki if you make a mistake and let it run unattended

That sounds a lot like perl, on any system that can run perl.

Sir Lee wrote: Did some cleaning up of redirects too (most redirects shouldn't belong to *any* category)

Yes. At some point I want to look into undoing some of the redirects to subpages. The redirect for Leanne belonged to a couple of categories, but redirecting to an anchor on Lancer's page also took her out of any listing of Entities.

Discussion Thread

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #66967 by Malady
Was looking at the Meta category, which has crystalhall.fandom.com/wiki/Whateley_Academy_Generation_2

Which is also in the Gen2 category, a Sub-category of Meta.

Should we leave it that way, or store it in the deepest applicable sub-category, Gen2, only?

----

So, to split out Leanne... What do we need beyond what's on Lancer?
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Malady.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #66969 by null0trooper

Malady wrote: So, to split out Leanne... What do we need beyond what's on Lancer?

Probably reformatting, known appearances, check to see what's been added in her last few appearances. Not much.

Not like Shipwright, whose name and codename have yet to appear in the same story. If it weren't for WOG equating her with Lexi (from "A Tenuous Blade"), I wouldn't have been able to write much more than "Shipwright's a tech-track student."

Discussion Thread

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #66971 by Sir Lee

null0trooper wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: Did some cleaning up of redirects too (most redirects shouldn't belong to *any* category)

Yes. At some point I want to look into undoing some of the redirects to subpages. The redirect for Leanne belonged to a couple of categories, but redirecting to an anchor on Lancer's page also took her out of any listing of Entities.

Yes, that's one situation where adding the redirect page into categories *is* justified.
Long term, Leanne is a character and should eventually have her own page, but right now she hasn't, just a redirect into Lancer's. If we don't put categories on the redirect, it means that she is not listed in the "magical beings" or whatever the appropriate categories would be, and it makes it easier to forget about her existing at all.
Same for family pages. Consider Erica's relatives -- they don't have their pages yet, but still, most of them should be listed as "heroes." So their redirects to the "Abendritter family" page can belong to categories so they are properly listed.
If eventually we decide to expand the redirect into a full page... the categories are already there.

OTOH, I don't think aliases should get categories in most cases, because it adds unnecessarily to the listings. I mean, between her civilian name (which she changed once or twice, by the way) and her various heroic identities, Liz Carson would be listed what, eight times in the "Heroes" category? I don't think so.

More
10 months 4 days ago #67071 by Malady
Where do we put general info like how Folder's family has "several PDP’s in it"?

whateleyacademy.net/index.php/9-original...on/150-a-single-fold

More
10 months 4 days ago #67072 by Sir Lee
Folder's bio, I guess. Or you might add a page to "Stiles family".

The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds