× Feel free to discuss any typical forums accepted topic here, Whateley or otherwise. Let's avoid the usual suspects: politics, religion, and so forth that tend to result in flame wars and angered forums readers. Other topics will be considered fair game unless they prove to be too volatile, at which point we'll use Devisor created anti-flame chemicals on the subject.

Wiki Wiki Wiki!

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #67757 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: Wiki Wiki Wiki!
I'm not sure if it's THAT useful a subcategory. If you are thinking in terms of "well, I need a teleport for this story, who can I use?"... then it would be too restrictive; we have a bunch of devisors who have teleporting devises, such as Visio. We have also seen mages like Fey do teleport-like effects. And then there are warpers like Cheese, who can warp his hand some distance from his body... does it count as a teleport? What about Regina Lambert, who can split in two and choose in which of the two locations to reintegrate -- and carry stuff with her? What is her power anyway (the Wiki lists it as manifestor, but I don't think it's a good fit)?

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #67759 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: Wiki Wiki Wiki!
I think that when "ways to cause effect X" comes up, there is always a spell or an invention for that. Fey can cast a spell that works like a teleport, but the telportation itself is not her power; magic is.

Cheese seems to be colocating two otherwise separate areas and poking his hand through. If it closed off and left his hand behind in the other location, I'd consider that a teleport.

Regina Lambert: does she choose the body that she relocates to, or is that from a micro-scene? There does seem to be a manifesting effect because there's a new object brought into existence, but it probably isn't that simple. If it weren't for the "no time travel" rule, I'd wonder if she isn't pulling an instance of herself out of her personal timeline. ( She's also my top candidate for Lady Jettatura's agent, but that's just my fan theory. )

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #67761 by Sir Lee
Regina used this trick of her power back in "Angel in Dickinson" to teleport a McGuffin from one place to another -- although it's not really clear if she can always choose which way she will be reintegrated or if she just lucked out in a 50/50 chance.
But the point is: since she can take stuff with her, it's a kinda-sorta teleport effect, instead of her just dismissing a "copy" and reintegrating her memories, Jade-like.

Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Sir Lee.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #67770 by null0trooper

Sir Lee wrote: Regina used this trick of her power back in "Angel in Dickinson" to teleport a McGuffin from one place to another -- although it's not really clear if she can always choose which way she will be reintegrated or if she just lucked out in a 50/50 chance.

It would probably be good to know how that works in case she ever shows back up, or someone wants to develop a character along similar lines.

Sir Lee wrote: But the point is: since she can take stuff with her, it's a kinda-sorta teleport effect, instead of her just dismissing a "copy" and reintegrating her memories, Jade-like.

I can still see it as a useful category once it's populated. Do you see it working as a subcategory of "Powers"?

Discussion Thread

More
8 months 1 week ago #67857 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: Wiki Wiki Wiki!
"Shortcut" isn't a Teleporter, right? Since he doesn't move things directly. He makes portals that things are moved into...?

More
8 months 1 week ago #67858 by null0trooper

Malady wrote: "Shortcut" isn't a Teleporter, right? Since he doesn't move things directly. He makes portals that things are moved into...?

So do Nightcrawler (Marvel), Nightshade (DC/Charlton), and Gateway. He does carry packages or take people with him.

Unless we want to split hairs among transporters ('across' + 'carry'), teleporters ('at a distance' + 'carry'), apporters (from Latin apportō: “to bring, to carry”, including summoning and conjuring), and deporters ( carry off, banish, exile) it might be best to use the term most readers would know, or to lump them together as "porters".

Discussion Thread

More
8 months 6 days ago #67875 by Sir Lee
Teleport is an effect: instantaneous (possibly FTL in some cases?) transportation from one place to another without (apparently?) passing through the intervening places. The exact mechanic varies.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago - 7 months 4 weeks ago #67964 by Malady
Move "Minerva" to "Minerva (AI)", please?

Maybe turn Minerva into a disambig, I dunno.

'Cause we've got "Claire Elizabeth Westbrook", a.k.a "Minerva".

----

Family Tree Rambling [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by Malady.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #67966 by null0trooper

Malady wrote: Move "Minerva" to "Minerva (AI)", please?

Maybe turn Minerva into a disambig, I dunno.

'Cause we've got "Claire Elizabeth Westbrook", a.k.a "Minerva".

Done. "Minerva" just need the usual stuff.

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #67967 by Malady
Any reason not to use this version of "Heyoka 3: Survival Class" for the Wiki page's link, instead of that dead link?

whateleyacademy.net/index.php/forumscomm...-survival-class#4294

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds