× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes thread

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 9 months ago #29066 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
In the canon stories, the mental health support staff never seem to have a bad day themselves. Then again, I'd give someone like Tennyo, Fey, or even a mildly-impoverished Goodkind priority access, myself. Lest anyone think the OC gets away scot- and skunk- free:

We No Longer Care If You Have A Nice Day

"Good morning. Mr. Jensen? This is Natalie, with the Counseling Office, yes. Sleep well this morning? Good. Glad to hear that. Really, really.

I've just received a pass for your morning classes.

Well, you see, if we have to provide counselling in a closed and warded office to Mr. Hodges regarding this morning's unholy demonic attack from the foulest pits of Hell, it's going to be a 'group therapy'. Did you know his werewolf spirit recognized you in the area around the time of the attack?

'Oh', indeed.

It gets better. Some kind soul suggested that this Thing only looked like a normal animal on the material plane, and that you must have scared it away before it could destroy anyone's soul. No, if I knew who it was, they'd be receiving an Academy Award for saying something that stupidly insane, to a howling werewolf, with a straight face.

No, the camera feeds only show some flickering before the Entity exploded into chunky salsa and other spray. Nice try.

Wait. Did you just claim innocence on the grounds that you were busy at the time watching out for the safety of your best friend and other Poe Cottage residents? That's almost amusing. Why? Because Mrs. Horton and Dr. Bellows are currently busy themselves, trying to calm a hysterical Danny Franks down from what he thought he saw the two of you up to when he came down the stairs this morning, without going into age-inappropriate details about what the two of you were not up to.

'Oh dear' is right. I'll bet the call light now flashing is from Dr. Tenent, who had been assured (at one time) that her patient would be responsibly getting sufficient sleep each night and NOT staying awake to keep summoned spirits on safety patrols, scaring skunks and werewolves from the astral plane, and whatever the hell else you've been up to to make our jobs more difficult.

Hold on, one moment.

My bad. That was Mrs. Carson.

Mr. Jensen, God Himself and all of Satan's lawyers cannot get you out of this request for your presence. See you soon."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Falconer: A Stranger Arrives in Town

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, GrimGrendel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #29084 by Morpheus
Morpheus replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
“What I would like to know,” Lieutenant Forsyth said, “is how she got through the building, past all of the security personnel, and then both in and out of your locked office, without anyone noticing. Frankly, it’s embarrassing. We’re campus security, and if we can’t keep a single teacher from breaking into our own offices…”

Sam Everhart gave him a wry smile and pointed out, “There’s a good reason why Delarose wanted the Imp as a security consultant.”

“True,” Forsyth agreed with a sigh. “But that doesn’t make it any less embarrassing for campus security as a whole.” Then, he gave Sam a curious look. “But speaking of the chief… What did Delarose say about your little Imp problem?”

“That I am the one who set off the Imp,” Sam answered with a scowl, “so I’m the one who has to disarm her.” She paused at that, then admitted, “But honestly, I think he and Carson have a wager over how this gets resolved.”

Forsyth chuckled at that, before reluctantly admitting, “The office pool is on how long it lasts. I’m down for three more days.”

Sam gave Forsyth a wry look. “Maybe I should put some money on this myself.” She shook her head faintly and let out a sigh. “The problem is, how do I stop the Imp without escalating the situation? I’m afraid that just about anything I do will be taken as a challenge, and only make this game of hers more interesting. My best option at the moment, is to be patient and simply wait her out.”

“She’ll probably get bored of this game soon enough,” Forsyth agreed with an amused look. Then with a chuckle, he added, “Hopefully, in three more days.”

“Last night,” Sam said with a grimace, “I went back to my quarters and found the Imp had been there too. She left an MRE on my bed. Omelet and ham of course, and the whole outside was spray painted green. And then this morning, she left another plate of inedible food on my desk.”

“You have to admire her persistence,” Forsyth mused. However, at Sam’s flat look, he added, “Or not.”

Seconds later, the door opened and someone stepped into the room. Sam tensed for a moment, expecting another encounter with the Imp, until she saw that it was just a student. The girl was dressed in a pizza delivery outfit and had a pizza box in her hand. However, as soon as Sam recognized the girl as Melissa Chambers, that moment of relief was over.

Melissa just smiled cheerfully. “I have a pizza for Ms. Everhart…”

“That’s Admiral Everhart,” Forsyth corrected the girl.

“Admiral?” Melissa asked with a look of confusion. “But there aren’t any boats around here…”

Sam refrained from rolling her eyes…barely. “So, the Imp sent you this time.” The girl looked self-conscious as she shrugged in response.

Forsyth took the pizza box and opened it. He chuckled a little as he said, “Sausage and Canadian bacon, with a couple eggs on top. And the whole thing is smothered with pesto. It actually looks pretty good.”

“Would you eat it in a box?” Melissa asked, reading from a notecard in her hand. “Would you eat it with a fox?” That brought their attention to the picture of a fox, which was taped to the inside lid of the pizza box.

“What did Imp…?” Sam started to ask, only to realize that the girl was already gone.

“At least this time, we get free food from it,” Forsyth commented as he pulled out a slice of pizza, then called out, “Help yourselves.”

With that, the other security personnel who were gathering nearby, all rushed to the pizza before it was gone.

The waking world is but a dream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper, Esar, GrimGrendel

More
3 years 9 months ago #29102 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Rachael cried in her room. The town hated her, they'd probably try to kill her for what she was. She watched the lights rise from her hand, dancing in the twilight, so beautiful to watch, she couldn't understand why people would hate her for it.

She listened to her parents in the next room packing their bags. They had told her they were going to leave for a while, her own suitcase was packed and ready to go, but she was leaving so much behind, so many memories and personal things. She began crying harder.

The door opened and her twin brother slipped in. They were almost identical at twelve years old, same height, same features, her hair was longer and she had small breasts where he was obviously flat chested, but other than that they could be mirror images. Through the tears she saw that his hair was longer, almost as long as hers and done up in a ponytail, she rubbed her eyes in disbelief but the image didn't go away.

"Mitch, what happened to your hair?" she asked.

"No time, H1 is getting ready to attack, the roads are already blocked off," he said, walking to her closet.

She watched, uncomprehending as he took out a baggy track suit that she only used when they went camping. Unashamed, he took off his clothes and threw the pants on. Going to her dresser he got a sports bra and some socks, taking a deep breath he put the bra on and stuffed it with the socks. It looked terrible, but once the sweatshirt was put on he looked like he had breasts.

"Mitch, what the hell are you doing?!" she demanded, finding her voice.

"They're not going to let you get away, they'll kill you and anyone who is with you," he said. "If they come after me you and Mom and Dad can get away."

"No," she sobbed. "You can't."

"I'm a lot faster than you are, and I know a lot more hiding places. Rob is going to call the sheriff and say he saw you running north towards the woods, They'll see me there and everyone will head over there. Then you guys can get away," Mitch said, his voice quivered a little with fear and he was almost hyperventilating, but his eyes were hard.

"Mom and Dad won't leave without you."

"Yes they will," he said, pulling his phone out of his discarded clothes.

He hit speed dial and Rachael heard her Dad's phone ring.

"Dad," Mitch snarled, "what the hell are you doing keeping that gene traitor in the house?!"

She heard their father start yelling, saying that it was his sister.

"She's a freak. I'm not coming home until she's gone or dead!" Mitch said, his voice so harsh, Rachael stepped back in fear.

As the shouting in the next room got louder, Mitch hung up. "Get them to leave in twenty minutes. You should have an hour to get as far from here as possible." He hugged her tightly. "Tell them that I'm sorry for that, but it was the only way to get you guys to safety."

"Mitch, please, there has to be another way," Rachael said.

"Please," he whispered, barely audible over his parents arguing, "don't waste this. Get somewhere safe and live a long and happy life."

With a last squeeze, he hopped out the window. She watched him jump the fence, his fake hair flowing behind him and start running into the night.

"I will Mitch," she whispered to the wind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Phoenix Spiritus, Malady, mhalpern, null0trooper, Esar, GrimGrendel

More
3 years 9 months ago #29174 by Morpheus
Sam Everhart walked through Arena 99, where she was scheduled to help design a new training sim. However, when she arrived at her destination, she found that Gunny Bardue was already there, and that he had a deep scowl on his face. That in itself was not uncommon, but this time seemed a little worse than usual.

“Problem?” Sam asked.

Gunny nodded in greeting, then answered in a single word. “Wondercute.”

“What did they do this time?” Sam asked. If Wondercute was involved, there was no telling what they’d done to cause this reaction.

“The usual,” Gunny answered, rubbing at his temples to chase away the forming headache. “I put them through a training sim, with a specific tactical lesson that I was trying to drive into their thick heads. But those lunatics ignored every rule of common sense, and somehow managed to finish the sim, while completely bypassing the lesson…and the primary purpose of this sim…entirely.”

“They do tend to think outside the box,” Sam offered, giving Gunny her silent sympathies.

“Think outside the box?” Gunny grumbled. “Those girls are so far outside the box, they don’t even seem to realize that there is one. And THAT is the problem.”

Sam nodded at that, feeling faintly amused by the Wondercute problem, but trying not to show it. “This school is full of lunatics, and not just among the students.”

Gunny barked out a short laugh. “I heard about the trouble you’ve been having with the new art teacher. In fact, I’ve got twenty bucks riding on the outcome.”

“I’m pleased to provide you betting opportunities,” Sam said, giving Gunny a flat look. “If I could only find a way to distract the Imp long enough to make her forget about…” Then Sam paused as an idea came to mind. A moment later, she began to chuckle.

“What?” Gunny asked, giving her a suspicious look.

“I think I know how to solve both our problems at once,” Sam explained with a smile. “At least for a little while…”

“What do you have in mind?” Gunny asked, sounding doubtful.

“I think it’s about time we fight fire with fire,” Sam answered with a chuckle. “Or fight crazy with crazy. What do you think about giving Wondercute a taste of their own medicine?”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper, GrimGrendel, slapshots

More
3 years 9 months ago #29180 by Domoviye
Rachael's mother clutched her cheek which was a brilliant red, staring in shock at her daughter.

"Mom, we have to go now!" Rachael said shaking her stinging hand and trying to work some feeling back into her fingers. Grabbing her mothers arm she dragged her towards the door.

"But what about Mitch?" her mother demanded.

Her voice caught in her throat for a moment. "You heard him, he can look after himself. Come on!"

Her father put Mitch's favourite baseball cap on her head, covering her short hair. She had taken five minutes to cut her long locks before leaving her room one last time. His jacket covered her bound breasts, helping create the illusion that she was her brother. As her father put the suitcases in the car, she slowly dragged her mother out the door.

Slipping into the back seat she slide down praying that she wouldn't be seen.

A truck across the street made her jump as it roared to life and headed down the street, heading north. She bit back a cry, knowing that her brother had to have been seen. Her fingers tingled and began to glow, she sat on them, killing the light.

They headed south leaving their life behind. And more importantly leaving Mitch behind to take her fate if he couldn't get away.

More cars sped past, all of them heading north. Rolling down the window Rachael bit her tongue hard enough to bleed to keep from crying. A shot rang out just at the edge of her hearing.

"Mitch," she whispered, "run faster."

She couldn't risk the tears that threatened to fall. If her parents knew what her brother was doing they'd go and try to rescue him.

Her heart died as she rolled the window up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, null0trooper, Esar, GrimGrendel

More
3 years 9 months ago #29248 by Morpheus
Music played in the background, and the fabulous Imp danced to it, her tail swaying back and forth to the beat as she worked. Most of her attention was focused on the painting and easel that were set up in front of her, but the rest of it lingered on her next prank.

The Imp grinned evilly as she considered what she had planned next for Sam Everhart, but unfortunately, she couldn’t make any progress with that until Melissa returned with the rest of the supplies. So until then, she would have to kill a little time, and what better way to do that than with a little painting.

Just then, Melissa burst into Imp’s classroom, exclaiming, “I got it.” She grinned triumphantly at Imp.

“Good job,” Imp told her, with a grin of her own and a swish of her tail. “Now we can get to work…”

Imp carefully picked up a bucket, which had been useless until Melissa returned, and prepared to make a mess. However, before she could do anything, her cell phone began to ring.

“Hello,” Imp answered the phone, annoyed at the interruption, though it didn’t reach her voice. “Imp’s Road Kill Café. You kill it, we grill it.”

“This is Gunny Bardue,” a gruff voice said from the other end. “How would you like to have some fun?”

Imp grinned, twitching her tail back and forth. “I like fun.” Then, as Gunny explained what he wanted, her grin deepened.

Once Imp hung up, she turned and looked at Melissa, who was struggling to hold onto the small pig that she’d just brought into the classroom. Then, Imp’s eyes moved down to the bucket of green dye beside her, and the container of grease.

“Go ahead and take that pig back where you got it,” Imp told her startled apprentice. “It looks like this prank is going to have to wait a little longer.” Then, she began to gleefully rub her hands together, and with an almost evil grin, explained, “I’ve got a new project to work on.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, GrimGrendel

More
3 years 9 months ago #29263 by Domoviye
"Hey Teri how was your trip to Disneyland?"

"It was terrible! They wouldn't let me in, saying something about how I violated their no costume policy. It's discrimination! I look like this naturally, I wasn't trying to look exactly like Tinkerbell!"

"OK, OK, calm down. But if you weren't trying to look like Tinkerbell, why did you cut your hair short and dye it blonde?"

"I wanted to try something different. It's not like they own this haircut!"

"And the green dress?"

"It was a gift from Mouser, I'm suppose to turn it down because it happens to resemble a certain celebrity?"

"And the green shoes with white fluffy balls?"

"They're cute!"

And getting an illusion making your wings look like dragonfly wings?"

"WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON!!!!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, Esar, GrimGrendel

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #29265 by Domoviye
From the Bad Idea Thread

Astrodragon wrote: Tink could reproduce by fission.
You know, feed her too much sugar and she splits into two Tinks.

What could possibly go wrong?

Fall, 2008

"Check it out I made a cloning devise, you just have to step inside and a second later your clone comes out the other side."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"What could go wrong?"

Suddenly a purple streak flew into the lab followed by a number of auxiliary security members. The laughing streak headed straight for the devise and suddenly stopped.

"OOOOOOHHHHHHHH PRETTY COLOURS!" Teri said.

"Oh God! Get her away from the cloning devise!" the student screamed.

"HEY TERI!" the purple fairy shouted looking at herself.

"HEY TERI!" she shouted back.

"COOL! LETS DO THAT AGAIN!" they shouted in stereo.

Before anyone could stop them they flew back into the devise together. Two seconds later the four fairies flew into it. Two seconds after that 8 fairies, 16 fairies, 32 fairies, 64 fairies...

Fall 2020

The last city in the world was a quiet place of dark colours, full of somber citizens. All around the city speakers played sad music 24 hours a day. The walls were covered in pictures of crying babies, hurt puppies and dying characters from cute tv shows. A dome forcefield protected it from the air.

No one left the city except with the strongest magical and technological protection. For just out of earshot of the sad music, where they couldn't see the sad pictures, waited an earth spanning cloud of purple fairies who just wanted to play and have fun.

Thus the world ended, not with a bang, not with a whimper, but with a little girlish giggle.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Schol-R-LEA, Malady, null0trooper, GrimGrendel

• Astrodragon
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #29284 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Tia walked up to the table, then stopped in horror at the sight of the creation atop Morgana's plate.

The red-head was finishing what could only be described as a creation with the delicate precision more usually associated with watchmaking. Tia looked down at the pieces of lettuce decorating her own plate, then back at the tower Morgana was just completing.

"WHAT is THAT??" The bunny-girls tone was full of the morbid fascination of someone finding that the chef's had decided to experiment with roadkill fritters.

Morgana looked up with a cheerful smile. "Oh, this? Uh...its pancake, slices of bacon. pancake, ham, pancake, sausages, and finally pancake."

Tia just gazed on it as Morgana finally topped the butter oozing down the sides like some sort of primordial lava with a thick layer of maple syrup."

Bianca was starting at the mound, her own breakfast temporarily forgotten. . "Are you going to eat that?"

Morgana started to nod, then froze. "Oh...no, wait, I forgot something!."

While the rest of the team looked on, she took a single strawberry from the side of her plate, sliced it expertly in two, and very carefully placed the half on the syrup pooled on the top pancake.

"There! Have to have some fruit, fruit's healthy for breakfast!"

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Astrodragon. Reason: found error
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Schol-R-LEA, Domoviye, Malady, GrimGrendel

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #29285 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
I really don't want to do this, Rich thought as he steeled himself for what he knew he had to do. With no less than three ragers in the scrum - from where he stood, he could see Bloodwolf, Razorback, and a suspiciously well-armed Koala - not only rampaging across campus, but actively being provoked by the likes of Gore and Systemic, and a ring of other UVs holding both Security and the Wild Pack at bay, he was literally the only one on the scene who could stop it. The fact that it meant doing something he'd come to hate, come to regret even before the Foreigner had come, didn't change that fact.

With a deep breath, he turned around the corner he had been standing behind, and sheathed himself in a blinding light.

Light mixed with as much divine Glamour as he could muster, that same Glamour he normally did all he could to suppress. Had his power not been so diminished since taking mortal form, those around him would have been immolated; as it was, it stopped all about him cold, staring in awe at him.

"Stop what you are doing and lay down your weapons." he boomed out in a voice that few mortals could hope to resist.

His face was etched with pain as he did it, but he had resigned himself to the consequences. All that really mattered right now was that Systemic's sick idea of a 'senior prank' had been thwarted.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, Esar, GrimGrendel

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds