× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes thread

More
1 year 6 months ago #63431 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
About 8 months Post Vanishing Day

Konrad Radu looked down on the war torn countryside, and sneered at the troops below. Who did thet think they where, trying to 'reclaim' the lands that his Lord had claimed under his banner. So Paramount was missing, he would return, and he had a strong Right Arm defending the gates until that time, or when the heir came of age.

“Regent, we are over the engagement. The Calvary is seeing that the civilians are clear while the Wolves are harrying the Soviet troops. They are making them chase their tails. Do you wish there to be survivors?” he asked glancing at the projection of a more then a little pregnant Amelia Hartford who was back at the palace fighting on a different battle field; keeping Soviat hackers from turning the Wallatcha Nuclear Power Plant into the next Chernobyl.

“They haven't learned from those we left to carry word of their defeat back to the Cremlin. Make them all disappear.”

“As you command, Regent. It will be my pleasure.” Konrad said with a slight smirk as he lifted his flesh and blood right hand de-cloaking his, and the rest of the airships. It hurt like hell to extend his invisibility ability like that, but from the pause in the action below it was well worth it.

One of the crew, the one manning the ground to air communications called out, “Civilians are clear. Calvary says thanks.”

“Tell them they're welcome, and they're the anvil, we're the hammer. Weapons, trget the rear of the target, drive them into the Calvary. Stalker units, aid in containment. Konrad ordered. Soon the airship cannons where pounding rhythmically. From the ruins of the town the heavy weapon carrying horse breed rose up laying down a rain of lead that ripped through the human troops The Soviat troops didn't last long.

“Ships two through four, land and take on troops. Call in the Relief & Rebuild units, I want this village livable and fortified by the end of the week. They are also tasked with figuring out why the early warning system failed. They should not have been able to get this far.” Konrad growled, part of him regreting he hadn't lead like Paramount; at the head of the ground troops. But Wallachia would be hear when his lord returned.

Even if he died defending it.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: E. E. Nalley, Dreamer, Malady, Katssun, Anne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #63458 by Bek D Corbin
Bek D Corbin replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Extremely uncomfortable, Cardsharp knelt in front of the mirror and made the evocation. This time, the visage came immediately, eagerly into view. That did not bode well, not at all. Well? she asked, her one blue eye glittering.

Suppressing an aggrieved sigh with all his willpower, Cardsharp held up the Heart of Azdaja. Mabd gave a wide grin of realized hope. The large red crystal shattered on the end of its chain, revealing a smaller green crystal, which floated in the air. After a moment, that crystal shattered as well, revealing a smaller blue crystal. Ah! Mabd sighed, and the blue gem floated into the mirror.

Well Done, My Champion! the Queen of Air and Darkness exulted with an uncharacteristic wide grin, her two blue eyes glittering (even if one was blinking rapidly). A skeletal hand reached out from the mirror and inscribed a new rune on the amulet that served Cardsharp as a belt buckle. Now our Quest begins in earnest! Before, we were fumbling around in the dark. But now, I can actively see where the scattered bits of my soul have been locked away. Soon, I will be able to call upon by servants flung far across the globe. Soon, I will be the Weaver of the Midnight Veil in truth once again!

And for hardly the first time, the Scapegrace Knight wondered what lay at the end of the Forgotten Moonlight Quest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Schol-R-LEA, Malady, null0trooper, Hardric

More
1 year 6 months ago #63478 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread

As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted (Part 3) wrote: Ms. Grimes tapped her fingers on the tabletop. "Morgana is a student here, she is in our care. Any payment will be made by the school on her behalf."

Thulia gave her a long look, then nodded sharply.

"The traditional payment for this service is twelve minutes of passionate cuddling. I will accept it from you on her behalf." She paused for a moment with an expectant look. "I require half up front, of course."

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

More
1 year 5 months ago #63507 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
The fabulous Imp had been violently ill every morning for a week. This is Imp-ossible she moaned to herself, still she made an appointment at Doyle medical.
I need to confirm that I'm pregnant, she told the person taking the appointment.
How am I going to tell Chickenhawk that he's going to be a dad, and what is Melissa going to think? Actually she was pretty sure Melissa would be looking forward to teaching her younger sibling all sorts of Mischief!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, Cryptic

More
1 year 5 months ago #63690 by E!
E! replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Mirror yawned as he made his way through the dimly lit hallways of Twain Cottage. The house father Mr. Filbert was out of town on business, putting him and Thuban in charge during the off hours. After checking the sophomore hall, Mirror headed down the freshman hall. Rubbing his tired eyes he spotted a splotch of crimson plastered on the wall just before the bathroom. Carefully opening the door, Mirror spotted a freshman kneeling on the floor with a medkit opened in front of him.

Mirror recognized him as AP, one of the few permitted to leave early to work at Doyle. One of the freshman’s eyes was swollen shut while the other was staring to show signs of the “raccoon eyes”. AP, looked at Mirror while holding a splint between his teeth.

“Jesus, man what happened?” The Cottage fixer asked storming in kneeling looking at AP.

“Naawwthing…” The injured boy growled through the splint he held in his mouth.

“Really because it doesn’t look like nothing.” Mirror stated, before noticing the arm that was bent at an unnatural angle. “AHhhh!!” he screamed in reaction.

AP paid no attention, to him instead turning back to his arm. With a deafening pop, and a gagged squeal from the boy, the arm snapped back into place.

“I think I’m going to puke.” Mirror said while looking at the floor.

“Well there is a toilet and there is a toilet.” AP pointed out while he wrapped the splint around his arm bracing it, and putting it in a makeshift sling.

“Are you in pain?” Mirror asked.

“Only when I breathe.” AP coughed as he fished for something inside the medical kit.

“I’m calling Doyle.” Mirror affirmed.

“Don’t. I’m fine.” AP yapped as he pulled out the Stabil Pen.

“Hey, that is for emergencies!” Mirror asserted.

“I think this counts.” AP snapped, injecting himself with the devisor drug. With a slight breath of relief AP got up from the bathroom floor. Shuffling towards the tunnel elevators.

“HEY, WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU’RE GOING?!” Mirror yelled.

“Doyle.” AP lied though the haze of euphoria he was feeling. “Someone, has to clean that up.”

“Oh, yea…”Mirror looked at the mess in the bathroom. “Hey, you owe me one!” Mirror finished as the drugged boy walked away.

AP however did not go to Doyle. Instead he went to his office deep in the tunnels. There he used his key to open the locked door. Walking in he made a beeline for the chalkboard he kept on the side of the room. At the center were two names both circled and connected by a solid line. Naomi Jaeger and Elizabeth Carson. In the middle of the two names AP drew a third line and circle.

There he scribbled the name of the group that jumped him, and told him to stop searching for his sister. “THE AMAZONS
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Katssun

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #63713 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Inspired by this video , and with references to some of my earlier micro-scenes

"I think you're being too fucking 'subtle' for your own good," Chris whispered to his fellow deity as she fumed over a colleague's slight. "Do you really think you can outwit Athena? Fuck that noise. If you really are that pissed off, go over there and make her hurt."

Victoria looked at Counterpoint, and behind him his new lackey Centurion, as if they were crazy. Crazier than usual, she amended to herself. "Carson..."

"Shit on Carson! She may be best friends with your former self these days, but she's still mortal. What is she going to do if the two of you get into it? What could she do?"

"I'm no fighter..."

"Oh, but I remember a time when you were, now, don't you? The Spartans quite loved their dear Areia. Surely you can do this for old times' sake? Just like back in the golden days of the Trojan War?"

Cytherea seemed to think this over, then a steely look came into her eyes. Yes, it was far too long since she's really shown her claws...

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady

More
1 year 5 months ago #63762 by Cryptic

Hank 3 wrote: Turning to the silently fuming Nikki, so caught up in her own world she hadn't even noticed her friend's departures, Hank stepped close and waited. Ever since Mrs. Carson delivered the news to Nikki, both that Solicitor was suing her and that, far from fighting the suit, the school's response would be to give him her modelling earnings, Nikki had been upset.

~*~

Hank guided Nikki to the Homer Gallery, up to a dusty pile of metal bars. Hank stopped, staring down sadly at the piled gold bars. "It's only money Nikki,” he repeated softly. “Yes, it's your money, but still." Turning he looked to Nikki, glassy-eyed as he gestured.

“For God's sake you're an ELF not a gold hording Dwarf or Dragon, and I start checking your chin for whiskers or scales.”

Somehow that statement cracked through Nikki's Angry At The World and the red head gave her friend a weak smile.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, mhalpern, null0trooper

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #63802 by Katssun
Katssun replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
The Black Mask:

Blue Diamond, the World's Most Loveable Supervillain™, saw a familiar face, but an infrequent patron, eating in a shadowy corner of the supervillain bar as she walked in that evening. It wasn't typical in her M.O. to be so intrusive with her peers. One didn't become the Most Loveable by being nosy. But she couldn't resist! She had recently heard a fantastic rumor from Pinball, and just had to confirm it since the rare chance arose.

She ordered a drink from Carl and sashayed over to her target. While his features may be nondescript, the tricorne hat she leaned near was unmistakable.

"Milady?" he inquired, "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Oh, the pleasure is all mine," she replied before leaning in a little closer. "A little bird told me you recently picked up a pet...a rescue no less."

Instead of responding, Highwayman slid a smartphone partway across the table. The image of little motley white, black, and orange kitten sleeping up against a normal looking pillow on a couch shown on screen.

"Aww...what's its name?"

"I named her Nature," he replied and pocketed the phone.

"Unusual name for a cat..."

"Not at all, milady. Nature abhors the vacuum."
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Katssun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Kettlekorn, Malady, mhalpern, Court

More
1 year 5 months ago #63807 by Cryptic
“The diamond? You know the trick where Superman heats up and compresses a lump of coal? That's the result of a Brick being dared to prove they had buns of adamantiam. “ Nichole waited a beat, studying the kids expressions. “Wow, you believed that? I owe Toni a dollar. Seriously, it's cursed, but Doctor Alexander, contained it. Someone figured 'why leave it gathering dust? Let's put it on display.'”

“Is that safe?”

“So long as it doesn't leave school property, yes.”

~*~

“No, I don't know why one of the first students would make a Raisin gun or why anyone would put it on display.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady

More
1 year 5 months ago #63808 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
The FSA evaluating board looked at the two freshmen applicants.
"What are your codenames and powers, guys?"
"I'm Gorm. I have very good senses, can go one week without sleep and don't get distracted easily."
"I'm Feck. I can increase the efficiency of chemical reactions."
"I see. Those are... interesting powers, but not really combat geared. I suppose they would be useful for a watchman or a chemical industry, but as far as superheroing go... sorry, guys."
"Wait, we know our powers are not that impressive, but you really should sign us up."
"Why?"
"Because without us, you will be gormless and feckless."

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kettlekorn, Malady, null0trooper, Katssun

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds