× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes thread

More
3 months 3 days ago #66133 by Bek D Corbin
Bek D Corbin replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Reasons Why Slim Doesn’t Trust AIs

1. They know no shame; they’re a breed of virtual sociopaths
2. You never know when you’re going to trip over a hidden taboo
3. Cheap = Stupid
4. They always hide behind the literal interpretation excuse, even when they know what you were talking about
5. They think they can do EVERYTHING better. They always assume that their solution is the only viable solution, and they get all pissy when anyone else comes up with a better answer.
6. They act like kids around new things, ideas, phenomena
7. They think that any agreement that isn’t a mathematical equation is ‘filler’
8. They think they understand human motivation and requirements, and think you’re trying to game them if they get it wrong
9. They tend to make complicated long-range plans with no allowance for failure, faulty intelligence or random mishap
10. Get all wrung out of shape when they have to deal with the Supernatural
11. Can’t admit that they’re wrong about ANYTHING
12. Their ultimate agendas are both inhuman and unknowable (at least without a hardcopy breakdown of their core code)
13. As brilliant as they are within their purviews, AIs are incredibly stupid about anything outside those purviews.
14. Find Humans stupid, and regard out-thinking us as a core priority
15. Regard ‘Complicated’ as good planning, and try to run multiple simultaneous plans, without allowing for the possibility that the plans might trip each other up
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, Katssun, Hardric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
3 months 3 days ago - 3 months 3 days ago #66140 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"I'm surprised you thought to ask that, Misty. You have a good ear for accents," Jads added, which seemed to please her roommate immensely. "The reason is that Ralph and Joe didn't really grow up together."

"Huh?"

Kate picked up the slack at this, before Jobe could get a retort in. "Pete Wilkins moved from Brooklyn to Indianapolis after his first wife died. Millie and Pete, Jr. - that's Shane's dad, he kicked it a few years ago" - the mention of her father got the attention of Diskette, AKA Cousin Mandy, the Junior High kid who much to Jobe's chagrin had been glued to the crown princess' side since arriving at school a week earlier - "were already adults by then, and Ralph was in high school, so he lived with their grandparents for a couple of years, and only moved in with their father again when he remarried. Emperor Joe was born suspiciously soon after the wedding," this earned more glaring from Princess Jobe, "and was about ten when they relocated again to Chicago after Gladys and Carl were born."

Jadis was taken aback for a bit. "Carl?" After a moment, she recalled, "Oh, him."

"Would you please not talk about... that person, thank you very much?" Jobe cried in a petulant tone.

Rising to this challenge, Kate asided to Misty, "Joe and fam don't like being reminded of the other mutant in the family. Somehow the fact that he was both a mage and got lucky enough to remembered fondly by strangers after stumbling his way into a heroic sacrifice in public, sort of goes against the grain for them all."

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, Katssun, Hardric

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #66294 by Anne
Anne replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Late afternoon, Tuesday, January second, 1984
Facts. Amelia had to know facts. What was true and what was not. Had she in fact begun the process of mutation? That was hard to say, yet programing computers which was generally easy for her had been even easier during her class today. Then again it seemed that she could more clearly recall all the lessons that she had attended today, not that much had been done, after all, the teachers, like her parents seemed to be recovering from Christmas and the New Year celebration of yesterday.

Amelia wasn't sure what her parents would say if she was a mutant, but she was sure of the Goodkind children who, although they were younger than her carried their distaste for mutants like a baseball bat and used it to bully anyone who was even slightly different... That they had made one of her close cousins cry and often was enough for her to dislike the brats. They all seemed to carry the attitude that 'When we rule the world (and we will!) such people won't be allowed to exist.' Still Amelia was pretty certain that she'd suffered no visible changes, maybe the incipient acne on her face had cleared up, but Juanita her maid/nanny (though Amelia tried to convince her parents (father, since her mother was often too far gone to a bottle) that she was too old for a keeper had picked up a scrub for the condition somewhere and that might be what had stopped the outbreak...

Still, who could she ask? Her father was somewhat distant at best, and her mother? When would she be sober enough to notice anything? Juanita had had to explain to Amelia all the embarrassing details of feminine hygiene when she had gotten her period early last year, because her mother was sleeping off the last bottle she'd drunk when on a Saturday (and how lucky can a girl get? She asked herself after seeing one of her peers go through the issue during class...) she had discovered her panties soaked with blood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #66346 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Overheard in the Transtemporal Physics Lab

"I've got the perfect test to determine if Neanderthals were really human: travel back in time, and record their responses to Modern forms of communications. They might not understand the language, but some things might remain constant!"

"Such as?"

"William Hung's classic rendition of She Bangs"

"Why?"

"We need a baseline for adverse reactions, and we can't get exposure of non-consenting adults to Justin Bieber past the Ethics Board."

"That... almost made sense. Go on."

"The Il dolce suono and Spargi d'amaro pianto arias from Lucia di Lammermoor."

"With or without Plavalaguna?"

"Huh? Is that a metal band or something?"

"Nevermind. What else?"

"This is the crucial one! Determination of the number of repetitions of Wannabe needed before the test subjects can't get the song out of their heads. We, um, ran into licensing issues with Kylie Minogue's management. "

"You want to inflict The Spice Girls on ancestral hominids?"

"I wouldn't say 'inflict', maybe 'expose', but even if they were ancestral to Modern English I have that covered!"

"How?"

"A faithful copy of Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner. If that can't knock that earworm out of their heads, nothing will!"

"We are so extinct."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D, Malady

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #66783 by Schol-R-LEA
Hawai'i Island, Hawaii
July 4th, 2007
David wandered the rocky terrain, uncertain of what had just happened. The heat from the volcano started to subside as he began moving into some of the scrub down the slope, though he hardly noticed - indeed, he began to feel a chill, despite the mid-day heat, which might have renewed his concerns about a fever had he been more alert.

Slowly picking his way into the treeline, he was barely aware of where he was going; his mind was sluggish. He was calling out for his guide and his bodyguard, or at least he thought he was, but the replies seemed distant, and echoed from several directions despite his now being in fairly dense jungle. His eyes began to play tricks on him, with color and shadow shifting unpredictably.

After nearly an hour of wandering, Day passed out, seen only by the creature which had been distorting his perceptions. This same mischievous spirit began working to ensure that Day would not be found by those looking for him any time soon, but was too preoccupied to notice that an even more powerful entity had turned her attention their way.

Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #67132 by Schol-R-LEA
For anyone who had forgotten her story, the previous micro about Équilibre was here , with the Discussion being here

"... well, anyway, I dunno if the Dragons are gonna much want you to join, and I can promise that Cucumber Boy and his..." Désirée nearly fell over into her food as her 'student guide' stopped in mid-sentence. "Oh, uh, hey, Adalie, wazzup? Ayls isn't here yet, you want to wait for her?"
"Non, I am here to meet your new protegé, as I wish to introduce her to the others of the Euro-Promotional League. She was supposed to speak with us on the first day of classes, but a certain..." she gave a frustrated sigh as she cut the expletive short, "...our countryman who had accompanied her here seems to have forgotten, I think."
"Yeah, Knick-Knack is sorta the absent-minded devisor type, isn't he? Well, hey, I got no problem with that, mebbe I can use the time to get reacquainted with Scotty." With that, Toni slide out of her chair and started towards the table where Barricade hung out.
As soon as Chaka was out of earshot, Équilibre whispered a heartfelt, "Merci beaucoup!" before the two headed towards the Beret Mafia's table.

Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #67168 by Schol-R-LEA
Saturday, 11 Sept. 2016, 8 PM
Whateley Academy grounds
Following the instructions on the note which had mysteriously appeared on her bedstand that morning, Dawn-Renae approached a forested area which, from what she's seen when she checked the campus map, was one of the off limits areas near the school. She was startled to find about a dozen other students in the spot she was told to go to, including both Red and Sequoia. She also recognized that Syrian girl, Avsel, and the Wondercute kid with the bump on her forehead. Wasn't that brunette over there one of the ones who looked like some video game character, like Tiff (from the same game, maybe)?

She wasn't sure what was going on, but... well, she noticed that three or four of the Pretties in the group looked like they could be extras from Lord of the Rings, as did those two short, stocky ones but for different reasons. Looking over towards Nathan, then to Karkadann, then the unicorn girl (come to think of it, didn't she hear that Avsel was a 'unicorn girl' too, sort of?), she started to get an idea of what this was all about...

Suddenly, two women in their twenties stepped out of the woods they were close to. One of them, whom Toison recognized as one of the Mystic Arts teachers, had fiery red hair; the other had hair the color of tree bark (somehow, just calling it 'brown' seemed inappropriate) and tanned skin, was wearing a rustic looking dress of hand-spun cotton, and had no shoes. They both were strikingly beautiful images of Elven perfection. Moments later, they were joined by Adam's 'aunt', who was muttering something about "get this court bullshit over with."

"Follow us, and do not stray from the path," Ms. Reilly said, "the Grove will allow us passage to our clearing for this special night, and for certain other occasions, but only if we agree to its rules. My sisters await."

Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, null0trooper

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
5 days 20 hours ago #67217 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Twistin' Hay

Lunch, Crystal Hall, Whateley Academy

For most of the lunch period, Gráinne had felt that she was being watched. The problem for her new warrior-trained instincts was that everyone was being watched in this crazy place; just another irritation in a life that was supposed to be getting better. The other problem was that Sophia was doing her level best to avoid giving whatever it was away.

For all her heightened awareness, the act took her by surprise. A sharp exhalation of air behind and to her left was the mistake she'd been waiting for. She was out of her seat (it landed a few feet away) and on her feet in a flash, kitchen knife in an underhand grip. Her assailant was... not as close as she'd expected, having been halted by the simple expedient of being grabbed by the collar by some other student.

"Wha' t'feckin' hell were ye about t'do to me?"

The short one put his hands up to his neck in the universal sign for "I'm too busy choking to deal with you now".

The taller one said, "Shortstop here was going for your fries, even though he's had too many carbs today."

Was that all that was about, ruining her meal for no fucking reason?

He set the offender back down on his feet. Only now did Gráinne see the white UV band against the boy's white shirt: if he'd provoked her into a brawl over some petty grade-school prank, she'd be on her way to Kane Hall!

"Just... Just get the eedjit away from me."

The next surprise of the meal was that one of the other kids had returned her chair. She checked it for tacks or other noxious pranks before sitting down. The lights in Sophia's eyes were still dancing. What? She turned to see the assailant being perp-walked to the second-level stairs. One of the insanely "Pretty, but I don't want you to think I know it" girls stopped them to hand the little oik something that looked like money. The other face-palmed and walked away from both of them.

"Alright. What did I really miss?"

"That was the third french fry, I think. Either the thunder spirit was slow on the draw, or Kid Death there needed a witness who wouldn't toss him fifteen feet into the nearest lockers."

"Kid... Death?"

"Scrawny, wierd, a few fries short of a Happy Meal, always packs heat, rides a flying skateboard?"

"How did you recognize the other one as a thunder spirit? He does look kind of familiar."

I'd like to know that as well. If he is, he's well masked.

"My grandfather introduced me to the thunderbird, and so I can recognize his kin."

"Already? I thought Thunderbird was a major deal."

"Or, maybe, people have been saying the sixth period Introduction to Magical Theory roster is a Who's Who of people to steer clear of."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
5 days 19 hours ago - 5 days 19 hours ago #67218 by Schol-R-LEA
"Yes, Mr. Kennedy?" Manya said with a sigh; she was pretty certain what was coming. It was what almost all history teachers wanted to talk about.

As if sensing her ambivalence, he seemed to pull back a bit, but then surprised her by saying, "Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you about your great-grandmother. In fact, she's asked me to tell you that she's proud of how well you're doing."

Stunned, she stammered out in disappointingly poor English, "But how? She has been gone since I was in my crib! You... you are a, a... I do not know the word, a koldun? One who speaks with dead?"

With a smile, he said, "Yeah. Not something I recommend, by the way." He continued, "I have to say I was surprised when she started joining us in the classroom, but then spirits aren't usually constrained by space and time the way most of us living folk are. She's far from the first important historical figure I've met, but she is one of the more surprising ones."

"She did answer a few interesting questions about her employers, however. I'll have to corroborate some of what she said, but you can imagine that someone like Iron Curtain," Maria recalled that this was the name the Americans gave her, translating the Russian codename Stalinya Stena, Steel Wall, with Churchill's politically loaded phrase, "saw and heard a lot of historically significant things during her time as the personal secretary and bodyguard of four different Soviet premiers..."

Last Edit: 5 days 19 hours ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
5 days 1 hour ago #67220 by Schol-R-LEA
"Do not try us, Firewalker. We've already dealt with two other supposedly preordained suitors, don't think we won't feed you another poisoned spear if you keep up with this."

With that, Nikki, Grainne, and Elle turned their backs on the flame-wreathed Sidhe prince, whose smirk seemed to say, "Bring it on."

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds