× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes thread

More
3 years 4 months ago #38351 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
6 Sept 2007, 0845
Twain Cottage

Looking around the common room of his new dorm, Bob's head sank a bit further into his shoulders, all the way down past his collarbone. A pair of tusseling... somethings flew through the space it had occupied and bounced off a wall, continuing their scuffle without noticing the new cottagemate they'd almost knocked over. Bob lifted his head with a grin. "I love being a turtle!"

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #38354 by Kaitha39
Kaitha39 replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Eh, you're giving me this washout to fight? That hardly seems fair. She's on her last legs in this class as it is." The short, yet muscled boy said, looking down at the dejected little girl standing at the circle, trembling in emotion. Her gi still had bloodstains in it, her long blonde hair was ruffled, halfway coming out of the ponytail, one eye was blackened and the track marks from crying remained on her cheeks. As she sniffed mightily, almost turning to flee to the changing rooms to escape, the man listened to the shorter man next to him, then unleashed a massive cry of laughter. Turning to the girl, he brayed "Ha, okay, we're both manifestors, right? Okay, I'll match you. Glass for... well, as near to glass as I can manage. I can't really get the ectoplasm to do glass as well as you do. Come on little Cinderella, give me your best shot. Or else you can go back to your step-mommy, to go do her dirty dishes and wash her floors like the little wench you are. Or... should I say, you can go back to your step-daddy?"

The comment, however he'd meant it, hit a nerve, and the blonde girl glared in anger. The tears continued, but she stood a little straighter, a little more set in position, and a little more defiant. A saber formed in her left hand, and a shield in her right, and she took a ready stance, the shield high and the saber tightly held low.

"Ha! Good response little wench! That'll show those evil ugly stepbrothers of yours!" Aiden announced, forming his own set of a shield and saber, though his set wasn't as shiny, nor as see-through. "Come then, show me what you're made of!"

He made a lunge for her, clearly aiming for the center of her chin, which she deftly blocked with her shield, and though he spun with the movement to turn into a slash at her temple, she again prevented the strike. The pattern repeated, with the boy attacking again and again, with every hit being deflected by the shield until one final redirection forced the boy out of the circle. As the girl had almost retreated entirely behind the shield, she was momentarily surprised by the call of "Yame!" from the little Japanese man, and had to blink as she saw where they were.

She had won! She had won a round for the first time!

"Okay, for round two, you come at me." The boy said, a grin on his face.

Any stories or Characters I put out are available to write around. Feel free to borrow them!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Kaitha39.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper

More
3 years 4 months ago #38505 by Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Wait, so you're telling me that when you collect all of the probability warpers on campus into a small space their powers actually cancel instead of heterodyne? What are the odds of that?"

"We have every probability warper on campus in the same location. Odds really have no meaning any more."

"Point taken."

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, Katssun, Kaitha39

More
3 years 4 months ago #38521 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Wait, so you're telling me that when you collect all of the probability warpers on campus into a small space their powers actually cancel instead of heterodyne? What are the odds of that?"

"100%! They are probability warpers, there is no chance they are going to let the part of the world they're standing on blow up."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, Kaitha39

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #38534 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Why is the ground shaking?"

"EARTHQUAKE!"

"... Okay, maybe not an earthquake. What happened?"

"The probability warpers just fell into the tunnels."

"Oh."

"And it turns out that a scared Clover's luck doesn't cancel out with everyone else."

"So..."
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #38579 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Hi Mr. Williams! Is it true you used to be a superhero?" Teri asked, surprising the large professor as he walked across the quad.

"I was," he answered, watching the crazy fairy carefully.

"Cool! My bestest best friend Pucelle told me all out you. But we have a question?"

"What question would that be?" Williams allowed his guard to go down a little, it was always gratifying to get the proper respect from students.

"Well we wanted to know if you can fly?"

He chuckled, fliers always thought that flight was the most important power, well he could set her straight. "No I can't, bu-"

She cut him off, "How about super speed."

"Well no, but I ha-"

"So how did you get around the city to fight crime?" Teri asked. "Did you shout Taxi! Fighting crime here, can you give me a lift?!"

"Now hold on!"

"That must have been embarrassing. Sorry I'm late officer there was a traffic jam on 5th Street. And do you have change for a twenty? The taxi driver doesn't."

Williams turned red with rage, which the fairy completely ignored.

"Pucelle says you'd have another problem. With how big you are how did you even fit into a taxi?" She began miming trying to squeeze into a too small car. "Just need to get my leg in and the rest should fit. Maybe if I go in head first? No that doesn't work. Butt first? Oh curse you chocolate cake, you are my bane!"

Williams was no longer just red, he was incoherent with anger, growing double in size.

"Of course I told Pucelle that you're probably a lot thinner back then. But she said you were probably just as fat, only you hid it better. Yipes!" She shouted, flying upwards to avoid getting swatted out of the air.

She watched the teacher spitting curses in her direction, and with a laugh flew away, coming down near the corner of a building where her roommate was watching in shock.

"What did you do Teri?"

"Nothing," she replied, "just asked some questions."

"When you have to take his class later he's going to kill you."

"I can handle that, Mary. Right now I hope he just remembers Pucelle, who is taking his class."

Mary looked at her curiously. "What does Pucelle have to do with this?"

"Let's just say that girl had better listen the next time I tell her I'm not interested in her angsty, woe is me attitude to GSD," Teri answered rubbing her hands together gleefully.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Schol-R-LEA, Malady, Valentine, DanZilla, mhalpern, null0trooper, Katssun

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 4 months ago #38689 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Basic Martial Arts, Thursday afternoon, Laird Hall, Whateley Academy

"I'm writing out a pass for the rest of the day for you, Miss Mouser, with the expectation that you will spend the time recovering in your room," Sensei Tolman spat out.

She turned to the other half of this foul-up, "Mister Jensen, as you seem to be the most proximate cause of your classmate's ... problems ... you will see to it that she gets there."

Mads was personally of the opinion that he should be commended on the improved accuracy of his stunbolt, in place of the implied reprimand. How was he to know that StarDim's shielding was magical and not standard PK? Or that even after getting enough juice through to knock the slitch out, it would ricochet off that neutronium-dense skull?

Leaving Laird Hall, he noted that A) it was a "Green Flag" day, and B.) it just wasn't worth sticking to the tunnels with a punch-drunk loopy fairy swinging from his antlers.

"Wheeee!"

The freshman boy wondered mournfully if he'd have enough time before Drill to check for foot prints.

"Are you wearing a tree? Tha's cool. Have you ever thought about modeling?"

Metro hurried up as if all the Drill Instructors of Parris Island were on his ass. Speaking of which -

"You must be Metro. Sensei Tolman called ahead. Could you step back a bit?" At his height, or lack thereof, Teri's new uneven parallel bars routine was dangerously close to eye level for the Whitman house mother.

"Yes, Mrs. Savage?"

"Just. Never mind. Teri's room is on the first floor, down that hallway. Try not to let her dismount through the door."

Several dizzying minutes later:

"... and this is Pucelle!"

"Pu- ... er, I'm not touching that line with a ten-foot polearm. Her." He jerked his thumb up at the new micro-gymnastics champ-in-training, "Where? Please?"

"Hmph. Bad enough to have a pretty like you pretending to have GSD with those fake horns, but you simply have no business being here. Furthermore, it's Pucelle, as in Joan of Arc or the 'Pucelle d'Orléans'." The Whitman girl then helpfully tried to correct his cranial accessories, as visions of another hospital visit danced before Mads' eyes.

"Ack! No grabby! Attached!"

"Did someone yell for me?"

To be fair, Mads had seen worse than Grabby's tentacles, but his eyes still bugged out, mostly pleading Please get the Tinkerbell imposter off of me! "Let me guess, it's a Special Tink Delivery. Right this way."

Pucelle was still ranting about differenced abilities, cultural and somatic appropriation, and how white European male privilege somehow factored into that the whole time Metro and Grabby were working at prying Teri off the portable swing set and tucking her into her bed. On the way out, the boy edged around the murky font of common room pontification before making a mad dash for the tunnel entry.

Hannah sighed at the unfairness of it all. "Congratulations, Puce. Now even the Thornies are running away from this place."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Falconer: A Stranger Arrives in Town

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Schol-R-LEA, Domoviye, Malady, mhalpern, Katssun, Kaitha39

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #38713 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Damn it Reilly, why weren't you available for Little Miss Sunshine? Letting Ellison do that shit is just criminal!"

Fey let out a deep breath. "So would destroying the Power Testing labs."

Eldritch paused, and gave the other teacher a hard stare. "Explain."

"I have been avoiding Okami. For very good reason. She has even more cause to be angry with me and my people than Kayda did, and I really don't think it is something that she's going to forgive."

"Jesus... what the hell happened?"

"I don't really know the details... I still have some of Aunghadhail's memories, and some things do jar new ones loose, but all I know is that the gods of the Rising Sun had never been at peace with the Western Court, or the Eastern Court for that matter. And... I'm not sure, but I think they might... might blame the Sidhe specifically for the Sundering. I don't know why, but I think, well, that they had reason to."

She paused, then, with another sigh, added, "And also because of you."

"Me?" Caitlin spat, then she stood there nonplussed. After a few moments, her eyes went wide. "Crap. I've seen how she reacted to me being an Artificer. Yeah, I can see that... even if you didn't know, she'd blame you for that, I can see what you mean."

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MageOhki, Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper, Kaitha39

More
3 years 4 months ago #38720 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Danny sat glumly at his table surrounded by girls who thought he was a pet and not a real boy. Until he manifested he never thought that he'd feel so feminine with girls pawing him, he hadn't even thought it was possible.

There was a commotion from the main doors of Crystal Hall, and suddenly the petting hands were gone with the table rapidly emptying. Looking around he saw that his unwanted harem, who ever thought he'd think that, were rushing over to see a new boy.

From his vantage point, Danny saw a boy wearing an eye patch with several scars that simply made him look more manly. A black cat tail waved behind him drawing the eyes of the girls and several boys. He was slim, yet muscular, his every motion spoke of power. As the girls surrounded him, the new boy ignored then, cutting his way through the crowd like a shark through a school of fish.

"I hate that guy!"

"What?" Danny asked.

A boy he shared some classes with pointed at the new guy. "Greebo, he stole my girlfriend this morning."

"Damn."

'Oh, who is that?' he heard slut kitty ask in his mind.

Danny felt himself shift to his female form.

'NO! NO WAY in HELL!' he shouted mentally as Slut Kitty walked towards the new boy.

"Hush Danny. You're about to see two masters at work."

'NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Yolandria, Malady, null0trooper

More
3 years 4 months ago #38725 by Jarjaross
Jarjaross replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Ito-soke?" One of the techs said to draw the teachers attention.

"Yes."

"Don't you think you went a bit far with Cinderella this year?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Sir you turned her into a rager."

Ito considered the statement as he looked back to the arena. Putting Cinderella through the crash for combat finals might not have been the best idea. He'd meant to show just how far his 'weakest' student had come. Maybe instead he'd shown them the monster she was hiding inside.

Her opponent was off on one side. They had set her up against a high level regenerator to keep things as safe as possible. He was currently unrecognizable, stabbed through the gut with a glass sword, which had sprouted thorny vines throughout his entire body. If he really wanted to he could move, but that would break the glass wrapped around his bones, cutting him more and more. It would only add to the agony of his body trying to push the glass out of his body. At least that is what they hoped it was doing, it might be regenerating around the vines making them even harder to remove.

The ANTs weren't in much better condition. Some were ripped to shreds by the glass she had attacked them with. Growing spikes on her armour to be broken off and left in their bodies, the ones that didn't go down quickly had the same glass flowers growing from them as her opponent.

Those were the lucky ones. The ones in the initial assault, before she had gone mad. The arena looked like Pompeii. Everything covered in a sheet of black glass, like some kind of explosion had gone off. Soldier and civilian alike frozen in time beneath a fractured field of horrors.

In the epicentre of the destruction stood Cinderella. Her normally clear, almost white, armour now black and stained with blood. A beautiful garden of obsidian pumpkins grew around her as she waited for the verdict. She knew she had failed. Whatever goal the goal of the test was, it was lost beneath the destruction.

"Was the conversation they had at the beginning recorded at all," Ito asked.

"Yes," the techs responded before playing the visuals as well.

"Well at least I got a pretty lady to fight with. Maybe we'll need to work together eh, I could see getting along with you for a long time."

"I'm sorry. I can only stay until the clock strikes twelve."

"Pause it there," Bardue ordered, "Does anyone know when she went mad? Was it twelve minutes in or…?"

"Once she got hit the twelfth time."

"What?"

"She was fighting normally until she was struck a twelfth time," Ito repeated.

My dreams take me to far off lands and times of distant past and future. They tell what has been done, what will happen and who I am. They show me things beyond the machinations of any man. Tell me, what are dreams to you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, DanZilla, mhalpern, Katssun, Kaitha39

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds