× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes thread

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #38872 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Felicis Fossor, draft of 12 Sept 2025

One of the biggest headaches was the decision to merge the long-dormant Majestic Group into EQUALIZER along with Aegis. The main reason for this was that unlike Aegis, which had mostly dealt with extra-dimensional threats in combat zones, Majestic was primarily an inter-branch intelligence agency, working mostly with Naval Intelligence, DIA, and civilian agencies under the CIA's umbrella. While they were military, this was more historical than practical - the lack of a follow up to the 1953 incursions left them investigating smaller, less visible incursions (primarily under the Blue Book espionage overflight response cover), most of which involved mortal extraterrestrials rather than Class X entities.

Because reports of these were rare, usually came in long after the event ended, and often turned out to be some sort of home-grown paranormals rather than extraterrestrials, they had been relegated to being a clearinghouse for information rather than an active field unit. They spent as much time generating misinformation, trying to keep the idea of aliens and a government cover-up in the public eye to try and shake loose anything they might be overlooking. They went to great lengths to create fake 'sightings', simply out of a desperate need to get people come forward with real ones, even going so far as to take over the Groom Lake AFB testing grounds after it was decommissioned in 1992 to serve as a 'Potemkin Village' for people to fuss over.

The idea of rolling the much-derided 'MIBs' back into an active unit was met with skepticism on all sides. The actual decision was only made when a fourth incursion by the so-called 'Martians' took place in 1997, with the same combination of massive damage and little long-term effect as in previous cases. The lack of a suitable response to the attack, along with the fact that Majestic were still unable to collect significant evidence from the invasion site afterwards, meant that they were disbanded and their equipment and personnel were split between the EQUALIZER and Delta Prime units, where they were read in and placed in Intelligence roles.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #39082 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Dickinson cottage, first day at Whateley

"Hey, are you two from Canada?" A new girl with cotton candy coloured hair asked.

"Yeah, why?" Meagan asked.

The girl beamed with delight. "I met a Canadian during the summer, do you know George?"

Before Meagan could explain that there were 34 million Canadians spread out over a country larger than the US, her companion answered.

"George from Canada?" Calla asked, the tiny smile pasted on her face turning to one of sadness. "I'm really sorry, I just got a message from my Mom this morning and, well, George died yesterday."

"Oh my god! Really? How?"

"A moose ate him," Calla said, somehow keeping a straight face. "My mom said he might have survived that, except he froze to death in the snow before the Mounties could get to him by dog sled. I'm very sorry."

The girl looked stricken and walked away muttering that he couldn't be dead.

Meagan looked up at Calla​, "You're a bitch, you know that right?"

"She needs to learn, Ask a stupid question, get a sarcastic answer," Calla replied with a satisfied smirk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Phoenix Spiritus, Kettlekorn, Malady, mhalpern, null0trooper, Kaitha39, Angeldude

More
3 years 4 months ago #39110 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
A Monday Morning Late in the Fall Semester 2007:

Alicia makes her way sleepily to her first period art class. "Mornin' Miss Imp."

Imp yawns back, "And good morning to you Alicia. How was your weekend?"

"Long, the Ghostwalkers had two Sim combats, but we won both." Alicia looked up at Imp, "How was your week... Nevermind. Congratulations."

Imp blinked, "Congratulations? Congratulations for what?"

Alicia grinned mischievously, "Ya'll see."

Don't Drick and Drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, mhalpern

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #39111 by Rose Bunny
Rose Bunny replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Liz Carson looked out over her desk at the two Kimba members that were seated in front of her desk. The attractive redhead was biting her lower lip uncertainly, while to her left the much smaller girl was fidgeting with what appeared to be a paper clip.

Frowning, Liz Carson cleared her throat and the two girls looked up at her. "I have read Officer Everheart's report, but I would like your version of the incident."

Nikki Reilly looked at her with those big, deep violet eyes, trying to look meek and unassuming. It wasn't these puppy dog eyes Carson feared, rather the ones she knew would be coming next. "It really wasn't my fault," Nikki explained, "I was only trying to cast a mild wind spell to cool my coffee...Jade was the one that did it."

Carson looked over to the other girl.

Jade Sinclair rolled the dice and cast her +10 big, sad puppy dog eyes at Carson. "I was bored, I was only playing around a little."

Carson shook her head, Team Kimba would be the death of her, she just knew it. "You were bored," she said, ire dripping from her words, "so you thought you would entertain yourself by juggling pepper shakers. Is that correct?"

Jade swallowed hard and meekly let out an barely audible "Yes ma'am."

Looking down at the report, Carson continued. Because of your antics, Miss Reilly ended up sneezing in the middle of the spell, is that correct, Miss Sinclair?"

Jade rolled for Initiative, hoping this casting of puppy dog eyes would go better. The roll failed, as Carson continued to glare at her.

"And the resulting storm of hobgoblins got loose, escaping from Crystal Hall?", She pointedly inquired to the cowed girl.

Jade swallowed hard again. "Y..yes Ma'am"

Sighing and looking at Fey, Carson spoke. "Miss Reilly, next time please just blow on the hot coffee, okay?"

Nikki looked up uncertainly. "Yes, Ms. Carson"

"As for you," said the headmistress, with a note of irritation " Miss Sinclair, I expect a 5-page single-spaced report on the dangers of interrupting a Mage's spell. Furthermore, I believe that formal hand-written apologies to Mr. Carlyle and Miss Parsons from BOTH of you would be appropriate, seeing as they had to clean up after your little mess. You are dismissed!"

Nikki and Jade quickly turned and fled the office as quickly as possible.

Staring at the door, Liz Carson shook her head, and then opened her drawer and pulled out some Deviser-made migraine medicine. "That Team Kimba will certainly be the death of me", she mused.

High-Priestess of the Order of Spirit-Chan

Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Rose Bunny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady

More
3 years 4 months ago #39220 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
A challenge for micro scene writers. Come up with the funniest possible situations arising from this situation.

"Everyone remember you are being given this free day in Boston because you have all proven to be responsible students," Lillian Dennon told the students who were packed into the bus. "Do not lose your partner, do not cause trouble, and when you do get into trouble make sure to keep it from making the evening news or the newest net meme, and call me or one of the other chaperones. Do you understand?"

There was a chorus of replies and nodding heads.

Despite that, Dennon wanted to run for her life, what was Carson thinking letting so many students wander Boston freely?

"Hey all my wonderful fans out there! It's me Mike, and have I got a treat for you!" the internet prank sensation chuckled gleefully into the camera. "I've got over three dozen fans, fellow pranksters and helpers ready to go around Boston playing tricks on the unsuspecting public."

He panned camera around revealing people dressed up like ghosts, preparing blood packs, putting props together and discussing plans with their fellow pranksters.

"Lets go have some fun!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, mhalpern, Rose Bunny

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #39226 by Phoenix Spiritus
Phoenix Spiritus replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Lillian Dennon was eyeing the Salon Bar on the corner, wondering exactly how long it was going to be before she needed to make use of it wares when her phone rang. Sighing she retrieved it and pressed answer. The kids had barely left sight of the bus, how bad could it be?

"Miss! Miss!" a scared voice called almost hyperventilating. "Murphy must have run through a cemetery or something, there is corpses stumbling around everywhere! Miss! Miss! What do we do?!"
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Phoenix Spiritus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper

More
3 years 4 months ago #39232 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"What is it now?" Dennon grumped at her phone.
"Uh, Ms. Dennon... we were at the zoo, and Mezzo decided that it was a good place to get a few more animal forms into her repertoire..."
"Oh, no. Don't tell me, she became an elephantaur and burst out of her clothes."
"Uh, no, she was careful to not use animals that are too big... and we helped to keep her covered until she turned back into her satyr form. She really liked the special shoes, they really worked well to disguise her legs, by the way."
"Get to the point, girl. What happened."
"Well, she tried a chimpanzee form and... she was too tired to turn back."
"Cover her the best you can, get her into a cab and come back here."
"Too late, ma'am. The zoo crew saw her... and they think she's an escaped orangutan!"

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 4 months ago #39245 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread

Phoenix Spiritus wrote: Lillian Dennon was eyeing the Salon Bar on the corner, wondering exactly how long it was going to be before she needed to make use of it wares when her phone rang. Sighing she retrieved it and pressed answer. The kids had barely left sight of the bus, how bad could it be?

"Miss! Miss!" a scared voice called almost hyperventilating. "Murphy must have run through a cemetery or something, there is corpses stumbling around everywhere! Miss! Miss! What do we do?!"

In the background, Ms. Dennon heard one of the other students, "Oy! Not zombies, dude."

"How would YOU know? You're just a freshman like the rest of us!"

"They've still got souls attached, that's how. Ask Ms. Dennon if she wants me and Val to fix that."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Falconer: A Stranger Arrives in Town

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

More
3 years 4 months ago #39249 by Rose Bunny
Rose Bunny replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Phase: "Zombies... again with the zombies."

High-Priestess of the Order of Spirit-Chan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 4 months ago #39264 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Miss Dennon says you don't get to cure the living zombies ... Holy mother of god! Where did you come from?"

"Enchantés. Come, Brad, let us show them ... what you've got."

"Not if I strangle you first, Frankie."

"That's the spirit, Baby!"

The Frank-n-Furter doppelganger sashayed over to one of the zombies. Good thing the undead don't have personal space!

"How do you do, I see you've met my - new handy-man."

That left knee really, really shouldn't be going *there*. Even on a zombie now dressed for the Transexual Transylvania Reunion. Wait until he finds out the new tux doesn't come with a zipper.

Meanwhile, "Brad" is vigourously shaking another zombie's hand while hitting the poor schmuck's psyche with his confusion power.

They'd nearly collected an entire Floor Show before Frankie's commlink pinged in AR: all unsecured recorders tracking the festivities were now overwriting their video media with DEADBEEF. Why release the magic smoke, when there could be more tears later?

Within five or ten minutes, someone had dragged out a boombox with the necessary songs, the crowd's panic had given way to mirth, and the confused, confuddled, and all now out-numbered pranksters had no choice to join in.

After all, what could be more innocent, more wholesome than a Rocky Horror flash mob? (As opposed to running around in those outfits and getting either mugged or bashed?)

--

"I'm still going to strangle you for that!"

"Moi? I'm just a sweet transvestite, from ... oy! Can't. Breathe!"

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Falconer: A Stranger Arrives in Town

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds