× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes thread

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #41022 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Now that we have your class schedule settled, there is one more thing I need you to attend to," said Mr. Lodgeman with a somewhat apologetic tone. "Since this is your second year at Whateley, and you have not specifically requested a by on combat courses, you will be required to join a training team."

Miyet groaned. Lodgeman had brought the topic up before, and several of her friends had, too, hell, even Firewoman had even mentioned it before she left. She wasn't looking to dodge the training schedule, far from it, but...

She sighed. "I still haven't really found any teams that would take me." It was a flat out lie, of course, but the truth was that most of the teams she would have wanted to join were full already, and the others were... well, not so great.

With a sympathetic smile, he shook his head and replied, "I know of three teams that have asked for you specifically."

That surprised her. "Three?" Both Wondercute and Power Cats had been bugging her at the end of last semester, and she'd done everything short of beating them away with sticks. "Which ones?"

"As it happens, a representative from one of them is waiting to speak to me, if you would like, I can have her come in."

Miyet nodded, dreading what came next. To her surprise, however, the girl who entered through the wall - not the door, the wall - was unfamiliar to her.

"Uh... hi. I'm Greer Walker..." she said, hesitantly, using the pseudonym Alex had insisted she use. "Ah, you can call me Miyet."

"Oh, thank God," said Lemure, "You have got to help us. If I don't get at least one competent person on our team, I'm gonna die!"

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, DanZilla

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #41269 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Something that came to mind after the "Ayla buys Tibet" joke in another thread...

The Iron Dragon headquarters, somewhere in China...
"So," the Iron Dragon inquires of his corpulent general, "What is this I have heard of a Westerner in Tibet?"
"It's true, my Lord", the Duralumin Salamander responds. "I tasked my lieutenant, Nylon Gecko, with researching the details. If you would like, milord, he could give a presentation now..."
"Proceed."
"Ah, your lordship" the tall, thin lieutnant begins, "It seems that your attacks on the Communist government of China succeeded in seriously depleting them of monetary reserves. They are getting desperate, and accordingly, are looking for new money sources. They accepted an offer from this American tycoon, Ayla Goodkind, for a sizable chunk of Tibet, including major cities like Lhasa. The terms of the purchase give the new owner considerable privileges, making it an independent country in all but name. Miss Goodkind is using the territory as a sort of private spiritual retreat -- she even invited the Dalai Lama back and offered him the Potala, with the proviso that he would tutor Miss Goodkind in meditation techniques in lieu of rent."
"Unacceptable. A Westerner -- an American at that -- holding a part of Asia as a colonial fiefdom? I thought we had gotten rid of such nonsense almost a century ago. Redraw our strategies, retaking Tibet is now a priority."
"Ah, Dad..." interrupted Silver Serpent.
"Not now, Chu Lan. Daddy is planning an invasion."
"DAD! ixNay onyay ethay invadingyay ibetTay!" whispered Silver Serpent.
"Eh? Pumpkin, I appreciate you taking an interest on my campaign, but this Western encroaching cannot be tolerated!"
"Dad... I know Ayla, from school. Messing with her is a bad idea."
"Now here, daughter, she may have some mutant powers, but it's not like we don't have our own..."
"It's not that. Yes, she is rather formidable on her own, but her friends are seriously bad news. One of them is the Sidhe Queen. Another is the Soke-no-Do, you know, the one who woke up Oolong just for kicks a few years ago? And then there's Tennyo, whose power level is so off the scale that it's not funny. Not to mention Jade... Dad, you would not look good in Hello Kitty. But that's not the worst part. Dad, Ayla is friends with her."
"'Her?' Do you mean... the Handmaiden?" a sudden chill descended the Iron Dragon's spine. "How close are they?"
"Dad, they were roommates."

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, mhalpern, Erisian, Iwasforger03

• E. E. Nalley
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
3 years 4 months ago #41270 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
July 1, 2010

In a burst of static, simultaneously for dozen television and radio communication satellites which had been hacked in the months previous had the Trojan left behind activate and every broadcast television channel and radio station was drowned out and replaced with the image of a powerfully built man wearing a black double-breasted tunic with a vaguely military cut and white piping. On the left breast was a silver medallion of the international biohazard symbol and black leather gloves that came up to his mid forearm were revealed when he gestured. His face was covered in a black cloth Hood through which only his intensely gold eyes glowered.

"People of the world, I am your sovereign Night Death. I speak to you as a warning to the pathetic fools who call themselves your leaders. I hereby proclaim myself Emperor of the world and I give your United Nations 24 hours to surrender and yield their powers to my authority or I will unleash a plague that will eradicate all human life on this planet save for myself and my loyal followers. Unless the United Nations announces its unconditional surrender in 24 hours you will all die! Any attempt made on our royal person or our followers and minions and I will eradicate all life on this planet. Any show of resistance to our will and I will eradicate all life on this planet! This is your only warning! Surrender and submit or die!"

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady

More
3 years 4 months ago #41366 by Valentine
Valentine replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Jet slunk back into Poe, and saw Toni coming down the stairs. "Hey Toni," she called out.

Toni bounced over to Jet, "How's Cyberkitty doing?"

Jet frowned back, "I don't know. I got a 404 Error."

Toni's face went blank, "Huh?"

"Paige Not Found."

Don't Drick and Drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA, Phoenix Spiritus, Kettlekorn, Mister D, Malady, mhalpern, null0trooper, Katssun, Esar, Erisian, Kaitha39, Rose Bunny

More
3 years 4 months ago #41398 by Katssun
Katssun replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Jean-Armand lurked around the corner from his trap. It was a red flag day, and a perfect opportunity to enact his plan and gain access to Madskillz' files, ensuring that his next attempt to secure an angel from that girl wouldn't gain the attention of Security this time.

He had seen what a small amount of the substance would to do the fairy girl, and knew she'd be the perfect distraction. She would be forced to use the tunnels today, and the ensuing chaos would provide the perfect distraction. He chuckled to himself about the brilliance of this plan, though Jadis and Belpheobe had both dismissed it as stupid. They'd see.

The large plate of macarons under a glass dome, twice the normal amount of sugar in the buttercream, stood a few corners from the Crystal Hall elevator. Jean-Armand had labeled it from the Beret Mafia as a fundraiser, a small collection box claiming that it would sponsor a trip to New York to visit the Impressionist exhibit.

"Ooo, cookies!" exclaimed the voice around the corner. That wasn't the fairy girl, Jean-Armand noted with growing dread. They had no reason to use the tunnels!

"Toni, No!" hollered another voice, the Goodkind girl, if Jean-Armand recalled correctly.

"Mmrrm?" replied Toni Chandler's voice. "Buff iz onry free fur a dollah!?"

Well...it didn't go entirely as planned, mused Jean-Armand, but the end result was still the same. He couldn't wait to gloat to Jadis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Malady, mhalpern

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
3 years 4 months ago #41681 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
Overheard during lunch at Whateley Academy's Crystal Hall:

"Here we go: National Council of Sorcery Registration Boards path to Certification for Sorcerors"

"That doesn't sound pretentious, not at all."

" ... One should take note that 'reciprocal agreements exist among the United States, Canada, and Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.'

It looks like the way to go is to start through this program on your UK citizenship, then finish up with the usual recommendations, character references, and - for certain - pass your language competency requirements. You could even rent a room from my parents and go to University of Aalborg for that!"

< What's wrong with my Danish? >

< It's perfectly good, for a back-country Swede. >

Obtain a Four-year Degree from a National Association of Sorcery Professionals Accredited Program."

"Sounds like the usual. Licensed medical practice requires that much, just to start Med School."

"Accredited schools being guaranteed to be listed on another page on the site, five years out of date, contact registrar for updated standings. Beware of the leopard."

"That's a bit cynical, isn't it?"

"My first language is bureaucratic obfuscation."

"I thought it was Acronymic Militarese"

"Related dialects, equally opaque."

Gain and document the required experience:
All 54 U.S. jurisdictions (50 States, plus Puerto Rico, District of Columbia, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands)
accept the Sorcery Experience Program (SXP) - Which requires 3 years continuous licensure.

"By the time you've documented all that ..."

"Leave your cameras on, let the evaluators earn their pay?"

"That's cruel. I like it!"

Sorcery-related degree holders can meet the education requirement through documenting two times the SXP requirements (7,480 hours).

"Just under four full-time years, if you can find the work."

"Who gets away with 40-hour weeks starting off?"

"Frenchmen. And mages."

Pass all divisions of the Sorcery Registration Examinations

Meet any extra jurisdictional requirements.

"Translation: Avoid Pennsylvania. They've got some odd laws on the books."

"That would be in comparison to?"

"Just saying. Some things are legal elsewhere, even in Kentucky!"

"Including first cousins?"

"That's Tennessee."

Have your National Council of Sorcery Registration Boards Record transmitted to the jurisdiction where you would like to be licensed.

Integrated Path to Sorcery Licensure

Participating programs include:

Bromwell College
Harvard University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Thaumaturgy
Miskatonic University
Raft College
Rutgers University
Princeton University
Salem Academy*
Sarah Langley College
Tulane University
University of California, Berkeley
University of Chicago
University of Florida
University of Los Angeles
University of Sedona
University of Southern California
University of Washington
Whateley Academy**
Yale University

* via Memorandum of Understanding with Harvard University
** via Memorandum of Understanding with Miskatonic University

"If they'd ever visited Campus, that would read 'Disintegrated Path ...'"

"Non. I 'ave 'eard that Misk U's Magical Arts and Archaeology Program has a worse safety record than the Workshop."

"Oh god."

"I don't think he makes house calls to the Miskatonic Valley except in Wrath Season."

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Falconer: A Stranger Arrives in Town

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA, Malady, mhalpern, Katssun

More
3 years 4 months ago #41713 by Kettlekorn
Kettlekorn replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread

The Banshee's Tale wrote: "Above and beyond everything else, you should trust me because I can and will help you, to the very best of my ability and every thing we discuss will be held in the strictest of confidence. No one at this school has the power to compel me to disclose anything you tell me and should I volunteer it I will rightly and justly loose my license to practice. Whatever secrets you have are absolutely safe with me."

"Don't you mean that you would lose your license?" asked Tansy.

"No, I mean precisely what I said. If I disclose anything you tell me, I will will be compelled to take my license to practice off of its leash and allow it to roam freely as its ancestors once did, to kill and be killed upon the winding paper trails lacing the verdant coffee grounds of the Hell of Bureaucratic Obstruction, whence it originally came before I domesticated it. I do not think I could bear the loss and loneliness this would entail. I'd sooner run my own heart through the paper shredder than permit my poor license to face one alone upon the Teak and Oaken Plains."

"Are... are you sure you're sitting on the right side of that desk?"

Dr. Markham looked at Tansy with a bemused expression. "I'm sitting in the middle of the desk." She pointed to the laptop screen on the right side of her desk and leaned forward to whisper. "That's the monitor. He's the one who reports me if I give away your secrets. He's pretty nosy for somebody who doesn't have one." Her eyes flicked to the screen for a moment before snapping back to Tansy. "But don't tell him I said that. He's very sensitive, and if his feelings get hurt he'll clam up and keep me from getting any work done until IT can come over with some laxatives."

"I, um, I think I'll be leaving now..."

"Okay, Miss Leaving. Now, will you tell me why you're here?"

I am the kernel that pops in the night. I am the pain that keeps your dentist employed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: E. E. Nalley, Dreamer, Domoviye, Malady, null0trooper, Katssun, Erisian, Kaitha39

More
3 years 4 months ago #41725 by NJM1564
NJM1564 replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread

Kettlekorn wrote:

The Banshee's Tale wrote: "Above and beyond everything else, you should trust me because I can and will help you, to the very best of my ability and every thing we discuss will be held in the strictest of confidence. No one at this school has the power to compel me to disclose anything you tell me and should I volunteer it I will rightly and justly loose my license to practice. Whatever secrets you have are absolutely safe with me."

"Don't you mean that you would lose your license?" asked Tansy.

"No, I mean precisely what I said. If I disclose anything you tell me, I will will be compelled to take my license to practice off of its leash and allow it to roam freely as its ancestors once did, to kill and be killed upon the winding paper trails lacing the verdant coffee grounds of the Hell of Bureaucratic Obstruction, whence it originally came before I domesticated it. I do not think I could bear the loss and loneliness this would entail. I'd sooner run my own heart through the paper shredder than permit my poor license to face one alone upon the Teak and Oaken Plains."

"Are... are you sure you're sitting on the right side of that desk?"

Dr. Markham looked at Tansy with a bemused expression. "I'm sitting in the middle of the desk." She pointed to the laptop screen on the right side of her desk and leaned forward to whisper. "That's the monitor. He's the one who reports me if I give away your secrets. He's pretty nosy for somebody who doesn't have one." Her eyes flicked to the screen for a moment before snapping back to Tansy. "But don't tell him I said that. He's very sensitive, and if his feelings get hurt he'll clam up and keep me from getting any work done until IT can come over with some laxatives."

"I, um, I think I'll be leaving now..."

"Okay, Miss Leaving. Now, will you tell me why you're here?"

Razerback I didn't know you moonlighted as a shrink.

More
3 years 3 months ago #41873 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"Can I see your credit card please?" Renee asked the hotel guests.

The card was handed over and from the looks of it and the couple it was loaded. Typing the number into the hotel computer she took a second to flick it around in her palm memorizing the three digit security code on the back before anyone could even see the movement. Handing the card back she continued the check in without any problems.

Once the guests were gone and she finished the tiny bit of work necessary, Renee took a minute to zip around the hotel lobby sweeping and dusting the entire area in a fraction of the time it would take a baseline.

As a speedster and low level exemplar the hotel job was boring, well beneath her abilities, but as she thought about the lovely ermine fur coat someone else's credit card would purchase next month, she had to admit that it had its perks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady, null0trooper, Katssun

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #41874 by Domoviye
Domoviye replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes thread
"This is going to suck," Jenny Mizushima said as she stared at the table set up in the Dickinson cottage kitchen.

"Why do you say that?" Her new roommate, Rebecca van Jones asked. "You're just materializing food, it's easy isn't it?"

"Do you know the legend of Uke Moche?"

Rebecca shook her head.

"My grandmother told me most of the old Japanese legends, and she told me that Uke Moche was the goddess of food. She could make any type of food imaginable, and even after she was killed her body turned into all kinds of food so that The Japanese would never go hungry. I thought she was a legend, and a dead one at that, but somehow I got her spirit, and I make food the same way she did," Jenny said with a groan.

"And this is bad why?"

"Watch and learn."

Jenny opened her mouth impossibly wide, and suddenly a freshly plucked turkey fell on the table. Gagging, Jenny let loose a stream of fruits that somehow all hit a gallon size bucket. A string of curses was cut off by a long trail of perfectly made noodles. Holding onto the back of a chair for support more food erupted out of her mouth. Finally it ended and Jenny was able to close her mouth, allowing her to rub her aching jaw and wipe away the sweat dripping down her face.

Taking a big drink of water Jenny looked at her roommate with runny red eyes. "I have to do that everyday or I get bloated and it comes out in an even bigger rush. If I'm lucky it will become easier once the spirit has settled in."

Rebecca stared wide eyed at the heavily laden table and then at her roommate. "I don't think I'll ever eat again."
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Kettlekorn, Malady, null0trooper, Erisian

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds