× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
5 days 19 hours ago - 5 days 19 hours ago #67219 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
OK, I'll admit that the character idea for Iron Curtain goes back to a Champions campaign I was in circa 1990; at the time, my idea was that her granddaughter was to be one of the characters I was going to play, but the idea never got fleshed out.

In this concept as I have worked it out currently, Natalie Pavlovna Commenska had begun her service as Stalin's bodyguard in 1940 at the age of 16; she was too confused by her newfound powers, and too intimidated by the NKVD, to refuse, even if she had wanted to (given that her mother was Ukrainian, she was under some suspicion of being less than perfectly loyal, but Beria had personally managed to put the fear of the State into her... among other things :-(). Officially, she was to be his stenographer, with her ability to create an opaque hemispherical force field of up to 700 meters in diameter and capable of withstanding an explosive force of 15000Kg of TNT kept as a state secret. After Stalin's death, she continued to serve Khrushchev, Brezhnev, and finally Andropov; however, rumors of her real role and powers had reached Western analysts by the early 1960s, and shortly after Chernenko took office, his personal dislike of her led to her being, ah, encouraged to retire. She died in 1996.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 5 days 19 hours ago by Schol-R-LEA.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
4 days 9 hours ago - 4 days 9 hours ago #67226 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
OK, so we really don't know much about Aillen the Burner aside from the fact that he could put an entire castle to sleep with his singing, and that he breathed fire. Still, what if he had a reason for burning down Tara every Samhain? Say, something to do with yet another arranged marriage, which the king had failed to uphold (maybe because he knew that the mortal bride would become the septennial Tiend later on)? Unwanted arranged marriages are not exactly an unknown theme in Celtic mythology, after all, while the whole Tam Lin/Corn King theme of someone being feted and temporarily uplifted to royal/quasi-divine status as payment for them later being a human sacrifice appears in many, many different cultures.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 4 days 9 hours ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 days 4 hours ago #67230 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread

Schol-R-LEA wrote: OK, so we really don't know much about Aillen the Burner aside from the fact that he could put an entire castle to sleep with his singing, and that he breathed fire.

How well might his persistence pay off at Whateley?

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
2 hours 38 minutes ago #67288 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
For a minute I was asking myself why Archon and Esoteric would be getting involved in a fight with the Lit Chix?
But "Vicky is short for Victory", so I'll just point out that Weaver is dark-skinned.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Fall Rush

Discussion Thread

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds