× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread

More
3 months 19 hours ago #68863 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
I'm curious. Did the idea come from noticing that Corrosive is named Karen, or did the idea come first and you searched for some Karen to adapt it to?

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 16 hours ago - 3 months 16 hours ago #68864 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread

Sir Lee wrote: I'm curious. Did the idea come from noticing that Corrosive is named Karen, or did the idea come first and you searched for some Karen to adapt it to?

Mostly, I had a vague idea of doing something along these lines, and was looking at the wiki entries for those characters who had that sort of behavior and personality. I'd mostly been thinking of Traduce, but when I noticed that Corrosive's first name actually is Karen, I just knew I had to use her for part of it.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 months 16 hours ago by Schol-R-LEA.

• E. E. Nalley
  • Author
  • Author
  • Captain Sea Horse
More
3 months 3 hours ago #68866 by E. E. Nalley
E. E. Nalley replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread

Sir Lee wrote: Whateley Academy, circa 2018; After-movie discussion.
"The cars like him, and take care not to hurt him too much."
(the last speaker is buried under a barrage of objects)

Somewhere in Hollywood...

"...Woah..."

:evil:

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #68913 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
-shrug- had no net to check dates.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

More
2 months 5 days ago #69197 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
In my story reality the firefighter armor is Florian class armor named for the patron saint of firefightrs.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #69415 by Schol-R-LEA
I screwed up, though, I think I was confusing Waterly with someone else (I did check her entry on Sarna.net, only checked her age - careless of me).

According to Sarna.net , Myndo Waterly grew up in the Combine (at the time of this story, she would be a fourteen year old farm girl) and was an ISF candidate when she saw her BF murdered by same for being in an underground group, which caused her to run to ComStar and become the fanatical bitch we all knew and hated.

Mind you, the campaigns I played in were fast and loose with both canon and official rules - remind me to tell you some time about Elena Takhara of the Council Worlds and their beef with what may have been remnants of the Unnamed Clan. Though I never really knew all of the stuff my friend Sophianna had come up with for that, come to think of it...

(Elena was her signature character, and she inserted her into many different types of RPG and Tac games, but always played certain aspects of the character close to the vest.)

One of the ideas I had for the Mythic Heroes was that the Canopans had two unique Mech designs which had been rejected by the SLDF in the early 27th century but found their way to Canopus shortly after their government was restored - the FSL2 Fusilier, a 45-ton missile boat (by very generous standards for that description), and the RUN1 Roadrunner, a 25-ton recon mech. IIRC, the Fusilier had 2 LRM-5, 1 SRM-6, and 2 HMG for close defense. The Roadrunner was basically what the name implied - a streamlined digitigrade mech which actually resembles its namesake, roughly comparable to a Locust or Raven but even faster, though armed with only a single small laser. The idea was that while they were really poor designs, they were all theirs, so they reserved them mainly for the Royal Magistracy Guards or as gifts for special service.

Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
6 days 16 hours ago - 6 days 16 hours ago #69710 by Schol-R-LEA
I do want to continue writing these, as a Gen 0 WhatIF, but I've been saying that since I started.

I originally thought I would have Phee and Raul meet on the bus, with Phee being shy and withdrawn and Raul drawing her out a bit, but it occurred to me that if she really were that lacking in confidence, she would insist on sitting next to her sister on the way to the school, even if Sophie were being annoying. I figure that they would meet when they both arrive ate Melville.

Yes, Melville. There's no Poe yet (the building is there, from the previous incarnation of the academy, but IIUC it was used mostly as storage and for holding more isolated classes and clubs), and their families are reasonably wealthy, though probably not enough to justify them being at Melville by 2006. I am figuring Melville is relatively new at this point, and probably holds about a third of the ~225 students in the early 1980s, with Hawthorne also being relatively new and neither Twain nor Whitman being re-opened yet.

Anyway, I also mean to fit a few other Whateley alums from the that time period, with Nefertari being one of the ones I sort of have plans for specifically.

Last Edit: 6 days 16 hours ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
6 days 5 hours ago #69712 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread
I think it was said somewhere that originally Poe was quarters for single teachers. But possibly that was back when Whateley was just a mediocre prep school, and it had since fallen to disrepair and relegated to storage. I would have to dig deeper to be sure.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
5 days 16 hours ago #69713 by Schol-R-LEA
I may be mis-remembering it, then. I'd have to look around to see what was said, too.

More
5 days 14 hours ago #69714 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The Micro-Scenes Discussion thread

Schol-R-LEA wrote: I may be mis-remembering it, then. I'd have to look around to see what was said, too.

It was from around when WARS was in its infancy.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds