× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

People for parts

More
1 month 4 days ago #69469 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: People for parts
...with the caveat that pre-Industrial Revolution, pretty much *ALL* human societies were slave societies to some degree, so comparison between those societies is just a comparison of degree but not of kind.

Slavery might not have been common in some of those (medieval Europe comes to mind), but it was rarely illegal, and even when outright chattel slavery was outlawed there were other quasi-slavery institutions (e.g. serfdom) that fulfilled the role. The notion that there is something intrinsically wrong about slavery is perhaps three centuries old.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #69481 by Erianaiel
Erianaiel replied the topic: People for parts

Sir Lee wrote: ...with the caveat that pre-Industrial Revolution, pretty much *ALL* human societies were slave societies to some degree, so comparison between those societies is just a comparison of degree but not of kind.

Slavery might not have been common in some of those (medieval Europe comes to mind), but it was rarely illegal, and even when outright chattel slavery was outlawed there were other quasi-slavery institutions (e.g. serfdom) that fulfilled the role. The notion that there is something intrinsically wrong about slavery is perhaps three centuries old.


I did not say anything about slavery being common or uncommon ;)
I said that societies that heavily relied on slavery historically became stagnant, conservative and trended towards paranoia (the more the slaves outnumber the free people).
Oh, and that it made more sense to hire a couple of space elves for their unique abilities than to enslave them and chop them into pieces.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Astrodragon
  • Astrodragon's Avatar
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
1 month 3 days ago #69483 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: People for parts

Sir Lee wrote: ...with the caveat that pre-Industrial Revolution, pretty much *ALL* human societies were slave societies to some degree, so comparison between those societies is just a comparison of degree but not of kind.

Slavery might not have been common in some of those (medieval Europe comes to mind), but it was rarely illegal, and even when outright chattel slavery was outlawed there were other quasi-slavery institutions (e.g. serfdom) that fulfilled the role. The notion that there is something intrinsically wrong about slavery is perhaps three centuries old.


Most had serfs. Not all.

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #69542 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: People for parts
Here's a point to consider: Larry Niven's Known Space stories to the contrary, it is likely that growing new, recipient-specific organs artificially will be a lot easier at some point in the foreseeable future than finding ways to dramatically reduce the rates of rejection, which would be a necessary but not sufficient requirement for doing such body-part swapping on a large scale.

Also, the lack of a method for reserving disembodied organs for an extended period at this time means that even vat-grown organs probably won't be stored for extended periods until and unless we make a major breakthrough on that front.

So for Terrestrial societies, at least, organ-banking and organlegging are unlikely to become major social problems.

This means that, unless their biology, or society, or technological/magical development, is very different from that of present-day Earth, then treating lower-class citizens as spare parts is unlikely to happen. If it is a part of the society, you'd want to at least hint at why it is so different.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #69543 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: People for parts

Schol-R-LEA wrote: This means that, unless their biology, or society, or technological/magical development, is very different from that of present-day Earth, then treating lower-class citizens as spare parts is unlikely to happen. If it is a part of the society, you'd want to at least hint at why it is so different.


They can still be treated as spare protein! Judging by the amount of meat stew at the Ewoks' celebration feast at the end of "Return of the Jedi", after spending the day hunting stormtroopers, I'm not alone in that assessment.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #69545 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: People for parts
Ah, now that is another matter altogether. Trust me, having my previous teammates assigned to be reactor shielding, I must admit that this just one use of a warm - or cold - body.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #69549 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: People for parts

Schol-R-LEA wrote: Here's a point to consider: Larry Niven's Known Space stories to the contrary, it is likely that growing new, recipient-specific organs artificially will be a lot easier at some point in the foreseeable future than finding ways to dramatically reduce the rates of rejection, which would be a necessary but not sufficient requirement for doing such body-part swapping on a large scale.

Also, the lack of a method for reserving disembodied organs for an extended period at this time means that even vat-grown organs probably won't be stored for extended periods until and unless we make a major breakthrough on that front.

So for Terrestrial societies, at least, organ-banking and organlegging are unlikely to become major social problems.

This means that, unless their biology, or society, or technological/magical development, is very different from that of present-day Earth, then treating lower-class citizens as spare parts is unlikely to happen. If it is a part of the society, you'd want to at least hint at why it is so different.


When you consider the increasing prevalence of antibiotic-resistant organism, having a compromised immune system due to tissue rejection drugs is a baaaaaad idea, but working from the idea that science-fiction is a mirror of what is taking place when the books were written, then at that time, those problems were not widely known or discussed, as antibiotic-resistance hadn't become wider-spread.

As for growing new organs from stem cells, this is already a thing that exists.

As Gibson said. "The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed." :D


Measure Twice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #69550 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: People for parts

null0trooper wrote:

Schol-R-LEA wrote: This means that, unless their biology, or society, or technological/magical development, is very different from that of present-day Earth, then treating lower-class citizens as spare parts is unlikely to happen. If it is a part of the society, you'd want to at least hint at why it is so different.


They can still be treated as spare protein! Judging by the amount of meat stew at the Ewoks' celebration feast at the end of "Return of the Jedi", after spending the day hunting stormtroopers, I'm not alone in that assessment.


What are your thoughts on the Endor Holocaust?


Measure Twice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #69551 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: People for parts

Schol-R-LEA wrote: Ah, now that is another matter altogether. Trust me, having my previous teammates assigned to be reactor shielding, I must admit that this just one use of a warm - or cold - body.


"Tell me Citizen, you do trust the decisions of The Computer, don't you?"

;)


Measure Twice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Astrodragon
  • Astrodragon's Avatar
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #69553 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: People for parts

Mister D wrote:

Schol-R-LEA wrote: Ah, now that is another matter altogether. Trust me, having my previous teammates assigned to be reactor shielding, I must admit that this just one use of a warm - or cold - body.


"Tell me Citizen, you do trust the decisions of The Computer, don't you?"

;)


"Of course I do, the computer is my friend!"

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum