× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Bad Ideas thread

More
5 years 21 hours ago #190 by mittfh
mittfh replied the topic: Idea Databank
"Manifested a new limb or limbs, one with a mind of its own." Inspired by Spinnerette's Bottom Lefty? :)

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dreamer
  • Dreamer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
  • I'm strange and I like it, just the way I am.
More
5 years 20 hours ago #196 by Dreamer
Dreamer replied the topic: Idea Databank

mittfh wrote: "Manifested a new limb or limbs, one with a mind of its own." Inspired by Spinnerette's Bottom Lefty? :)

That and the storyline with the new tail for Atsali in Waspi Square I linked in the 1st post. Funny to see how the tail responds to what its "owner" says about it and then the little sister talking to it like a person.

Thank You for story comments appreciated and help me know me they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.

More
5 years 20 hours ago #200 by E M Pisek
E M Pisek replied the topic: Idea Databank

Dreamer wrote: Rather than a thread for just bad ideas or one for unfleshed out character ideas, how about one thread to post all ideas instead. Whether it is a good idea you haven't had time to work on yet, something you think is a bad idea and wish to share, a character idea you wish to share, or anything similar, this thread should work.

To start off, here is one I posted on the short-lived forums inspired by the storyline from this week of Waspi Square: Waspi Square: A New Tail What if a mutant manifested a new limb or limbs, one with a mind of its own. It owns personality, likes, dislikes, etc. How it responds to things could get you in trouble or be embarrassing. Or what if an existing limb developed a mind of its own [like alien limb syndrome but worse], imagine having to restrain one of your arms from acting on every little impulse or desire. Or walking places you don't wish to go because your legs have their own ideas.

Another is an uncontrolled ESP power, one which makes others see you as nothing more than a figment of their imagination. No one would treat you how expected, some might get frustrated with your continued attempts at interactions and attack what they think isn't real, etc.

Wouldn't that get confusing after awhile? As we are starting fresh the ideas are currently limited but over time the threads would be intermingled with so many ideas that it next to impossible to track or keep account of.

Thus if an idea fails to move along further the originator would ask that the forum idea be locked for prosperity purposes.

As for the idea of foreign limbs acting on their own accord hasn't there been cases of where a person had a wondering arm that they were not able to control fully. It felt like a foreign being to the owner? I kinda remember reading about such cases.

The concept is interesting as that the owner would not be able to control oneself in a rightly manner, thus making it hard for them to live.

I also think along the lines of Siamese twins. The ones where one became pregnant with the other. It does send shivers down my spine to think that I would have an unintentional threesome even if the other does try to show a disinterest in the matter.

What is - was. What was - is.

More
5 years 19 hours ago #236 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: Idea Databank
"Eerie Cuties" has one of the teachers at the school having that problem.

Measure Twice

More
5 years 19 hours ago - 5 years 19 hours ago #243 by Kristin Darken
Kristin Darken replied the topic: Idea Databank
Ultimately, the problem with a non-specific thread listing such things is that non-specific is far more inclined to wander off on tangents of discussion instead of staying firmly on topic. I would far rather have a handful of clearly defined lists that self police than one thread that rambles all over the place. If for any other reason than that a vast majority of the time, people stop reading the thread once it exceeds 6-8 pages of posts and just keep adding to the end.

Fate guard you and grant you a Light to brighten your Way.
Last Edit: 5 years 19 hours ago by Kristin Darken.

• Dreamer
  • Dreamer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
  • I'm strange and I like it, just the way I am.
More
5 years 18 hours ago - 5 years 18 hours ago #282 by Dreamer
Dreamer replied the topic: Idea Databank

Kristin Darken wrote: Ultimately, the problem with a non-specific thread listing such things is that non-specific is far more inclined to wander off on tangents of discussion instead of staying firmly on topic. I would far rather have a handful of clearly defined lists that self police than one thread that rambles all over the place. If for any other reason than that a vast majority of the time, people stop reading the thread once it exceeds 6-8 pages of posts and just keep adding to the end.

Okay, I can understand that reasoning. Renamed thread The Bad Idea thread, if that is okay as a more limited subject matter.

Thank You for story comments appreciated and help me know me they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
Last Edit: 5 years 18 hours ago by Dreamer.

More
5 years 4 hours ago - 5 years 4 hours ago #527 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
So, 'Bad' Ideas go here... Okay!

Here's a possibly bad idea, 'cause its a character that could go Paragon 7. But, are the limitations enough?

Adoptable!

Codename: Dotty? [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 5 years 4 hours ago by Malady. Reason: Removing Extraneous Space

More
5 years 3 hours ago #553 by NeoMagus
NeoMagus replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Malady wrote: So, 'Bad' Ideas go here... Okay!

Here's a possibly bad idea, 'cause its a character that could go Paragon 7. But, are the limitations enough?

Adoptable!

Dang, that's quite the...interesting...powerset. Though I think that even with the caveat about not always knowing which dots do what it's still rather well beyond the typical Whateley power level. Definitely in OP territory for sure.

... . . -.- / .--- ..- ... - .. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-.. --- ...- . / -- . .-. -.-. -.-- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.. -.- / .... ..- -- -... .-.. -.-- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- -.. .-.-.-

More
5 years 2 hours ago #569 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

NeoMagus wrote:

Malady wrote: So, 'Bad' Ideas go here... Okay!

Adoptable!

Dang, that's quite the...interesting...powerset. Though I think that even with the caveat about not always knowing which dots do what it's still rather well beyond the typical Whateley power level. Definitely in OP territory for sure.

Totally! I came up with the name and appearance as first and quick second, in an unknown order, and stuck a powerset on, if I remember correctly.

More
5 years 1 hour ago #578 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds