× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Bad Ideas thread

More
1 year 4 months ago #63877 by Hebblejebble
Hebblejebble replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
I forget which story (it's either a Heyoka or Roulette) that we hear Foob talking about the limits of psychic powers. A psychic connection doesn't have the same strict range limitations that you find in radio equipment because in the astral plane physical 'distance' doesn't apply, which is why Kayda can dream-walk with Debra regardless of the physical distance between them.
Psychic's have a distance limitation because unless they limit their 'view' somehow there are too many signals to listen to, so they can't find and focus on a single mind.

It's not hard to imagine that once Charity's connection is made it can serve as a beacon, allowing the connection to function regardless of physical distance, again like Kayda & Debra dream-walking.

Side question: How does Charity handle powers with incompatible physical requirements? e.g: a flier may have lighter bones to reduce weight, while a brick has denser bones for extra durability. Does charity switch between them or do things go weird?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #63879 by Efindumb
Efindumb replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Bad idea? Trying to post here when you aren't one of the cabal or canon authors. Your questions get thrown back at you and you may cause someone to realize they screwed up and might not have thunk things through yet their word is gold and yours is crap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
1 year 4 months ago #63882 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Efindumb wrote: Bad idea? Trying to post here when you aren't one of the cabal or canon authors. Your questions get thrown back at you and you may cause someone to realize they screwed up and might not have thunk things through yet their word is gold and yours is crap.

Have you come across the concept of the "Devil's Advocate"?

To quote one jesuit, "How do you know if he's truly moral if he hasn't been tested?"

From a tech/engineering perspective, a design may look great on the drawing board, but it's only when it gets built that you find out whether it works or whether it catches-fire/explodes/implodes/collapses/requires-unobtainium/Insert-your-favourite-failure-mode-here.

'Tis better to catch the fail-points early, so they can be changed before they get really expensive. :D

"Another interesting idea blown out of the water by the torpedo of common sense." :D

The only real failure is when you stop trying to improve your ideas and skills.

Measure Twice

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #63892 by Malady
Malady replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Hebblejebble wrote: I forget which story (it's either a Heyoka or Roulette) that we hear Foob talking about the limits of psychic powers. A psychic connection doesn't have the same strict range limitations that you find in radio equipment because in the astral plane physical 'distance' doesn't apply, which is why Kayda can dream-walk with Debra regardless of the physical distance between them.
Psychic's have a distance limitation because unless they limit their 'view' somehow there are too many signals to listen to, so they can't find and focus on a single mind.

It's not hard to imagine that once Charity's connection is made it can serve as a beacon, allowing the connection to function regardless of physical distance, again like Kayda & Debra dream-walking.

Side question: How does Charity handle powers with incompatible physical requirements? e.g: a flier may have lighter bones to reduce weight, while a brick has denser bones for extra durability. Does charity switch between them or do things go weird?

Thanks!

On the "Incompatible Powers" question... I dunno. I don't think she'll encounter that, where she lives... But, it depends on the cause of the body shift. If it's Exemplar or something, being constantly applied by the power, if she uses it long enough, she'll start morphing?

Or, to fulfill the "Most Powerful Mutant EVAR" prophecy bit, she can choose what parts of the whole powerset to use and/or steal?

But, the thing is, that the prophecy was made years ago by her Precog Diedricks Bio-Devisor "Grandmother", so not gonna be a fully accurate prophecy...

So I'm thinking "Depends on the power". Like... Hmm... Let's go with Phase... If she took his powers, and got injured while using them, or used them while injured, his Exemplar will turn her like him?

TTYL. Gotta go. Really wanna find that Astral Psy reference.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Malady.

More
1 year 3 months ago #63903 by Hebblejebble
My mistake, it's from Kristin's "A Tenuous Blade" (I still don't know how to quote stories)
"""
The emanations or energy used by those of us with psychic abilities are not typically blocked by physical objects. They don't even decay over distance in most mediums. Mostly, we are only limited by our own ability to distinguish specific psychic energies in the extremely complex background of other energies that we do not wish to experience. A good example of this would be like walking into a dark, smoky, heavily air conditioned bar where a heavy metal band is playing extremely loudy to a packed dancing crowd... after having been out in the quiet desert all afternoon. A good friend has saved you a spot at their table, even has a drink there waiting for you, and is waving and shouting at you to come join him."

"And you can't even see not to fall down the stairs at the entrance?" the Japanese boy sitting next to Frank commented.

"Exactly!" Louis agreed enthusiastically. "Your eyes are still adjusting to the light change your ears are still shifting to compensate for the increased volume of sound, and between the smoke and all the other motion in the room; there is nothing to distinguish one man making big gestures from anyone dancing or ordering drinks. Those means of communication aren't any larger than the other things slamming those senses while they are going through their normal adaptation process to that gives us the capability to experience both gross and refined details with the same sensory apparatus.

Our psychic senses are similar. Every one of the billions of human beings on this planet is thinking, feeling, and engaging in the process of communicating with others for at least a two thirds of their day. And then they go to sleep and do the same thing more powerfully in an abstract uncontrolled manner. Even many of the non-sentients inhabiting the planet generate some noise in the soundscape that is the psychic ambiance. That, more than anything else, is what prevents you from sharing a conversation with a teammate on the other side of the world. Your thoughts might reach that far... but finding them amidst all the others? That is a challenge.
"""

More
1 year 3 months ago #63904 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Wiz track student cursing their roommate's costume to be inviible to all but the roommate.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #63906 by Hebblejebble
Final note on Charity for Malady:

If your aiming for "most powerful solution" my favourite answers would be either

1) The power intelligently synthesises abilities together, kinda like XO's shell does with machines

OR

2) Charity's physical properties change depending on one frame of reference, with some vague reference to quantum superpositions (e.g.: she is gravitationally low density but structurally high density)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Hebblejebble. Reason: changed lettered list to numbered list to avoid emoti clash

More
1 year 3 months ago #63908 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Cryptic wrote: Wiz track student cursing their roommate's costume to be inviible to all but the roommate.

How is that a Bad Idea?

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
1 year 3 months ago #63911 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

null0trooper wrote:

Cryptic wrote: Wiz track student cursing their roommate's costume to be inviible to all but the roommate.

How is that a Bad Idea?

When said roommate is a rager with no sence of humor

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

• Astrodragon
  • Away
  • Author
  • Author
More
1 year 3 months ago #63920 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

null0trooper wrote:

How is that a Bad Idea?

When your roommate is Peeper.

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cryptic

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds