× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Bad Ideas thread

More
5 days 1 hour ago #67221 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Sir Lee wrote:

Cryptic wrote:

Sir Lee wrote: Glowing red nose too?

I was thinking laser blast nose so yes.

Codename: Rudolph.

I was thinking that was his given name.

Oh and he crash landed on his grandmother while coming in for a landing.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 days 21 hours ago #67241 by cprime
cprime replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Combat Finals crash pairing - Team Awesome (cira winter 2007) vs the Village Irregulars (Karma et al, cira winter 2016)

Is your muse looking for inspiration? Send them to Parkerville! Welcome to Parkerville is the latest edition in my series of writing prompts.

More
3 days 12 hours ago #67246 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Has anyone in the Workshop asked if Moebius could make a real "bottomless" coffee cup? :D

Measure Twice

More
3 days 8 hours ago #67247 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
He probably could -- but then, how would you fill it?

Although that could be an interesting prank... appears to be a regular mug, but there's a small drain to an extradimensional fifty-litre container. Victim fills mug, takes a sip, rests it on the counter, next sip it's already half empty. Third try, it's empty. Victim thinks they must be really thirsty, refills it... rinse and repeat.

But it would be a really dangerous prank too. Devisors do NOT take well people messing with their coffee.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
3 days 4 hours ago - 3 days 3 hours ago #67248 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Like the beer glass with the miniaturized transfer module at the bottom in "Flatlander"?

At least I think it was "Flatlander", though it could have been one of the other Beowulf Schaeffer stories such as "Grendel", or even at the very beginning of "Borderland of Sol", It's been years since I've read them.

Probably a lot less salty than Utgard-Loki's mead horn, at least.

Now that I think of it, it was probably "Borderland", which began with Bey on Jinx, drinking away the fact that Sharrol - who had Flatland Phobia and so was stuck on Earth, where population-control laws made it impossible for an albino such as Schaeffer to get a procreation license - was temporarily married with Carlos Wu to get around the eugenics issue.

Of course, when Larry "consistency, what is that?" Niven decided to make a fix-up story (as a framing device for the anthology book Crashlander) to get around the many, many problems with the series, he chose to have them go on the run because the ARM (and specifically Agent Ausfallader) were getting antsy about Bey knowing too many important government secrets. In order to make this work, he had Sharrol, along with their kids Tanya and Louis - yes, that Louis Wu, who was only a toddler and so wouldn't recall any of this later - travel to the newly repopulated Home (the most Earth-like of the colony worlds) in cold sleep, meaning that all of this heartache was sort of pointless since they could now have as many kids together as they liked.

I seem to recall that the cold sleep option had been mentioned in an earlier story, actually, but if memory serves, the problem was finding a place which wasn't so literally unearthly that she would be constantly freaking out - even Wunderland had too many differences for her to cope with, apparently - so there was still some ass-pull in doing it this way.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 days 3 hours ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
2 days 23 hours ago #67249 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
I had that request for Moebius when i was drinking my first coffee of the day, and complaining that the mug didn't hold enough... :D

Measure Twice

More
2 days 21 hours ago #67250 by Astrodragon
Astrodragon replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
I believe the endless beer glass first appeared in Flatlander, given to BS by Elephant. The story where they end up managing to destroy an indestructible GP hull...

I love watching their innocent little faces smiling happily as they trip gaily down the garden path, before finding the pit with the rusty spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA

More
2 days 9 hours ago #67253 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
How about Mob team up with Jericho and apply his tech to medical storage of things like blood, saline.

Urine and Feces.

The latter two quickly adopted by workshoppers so that they don't have to stop for bathroom breaks or change after getting so in the zone they loose all awareness of anything other the what they're working on.

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds